Re: Notetab 5.5 script timing differences from NTB4.95

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Springer" <springro@...> wrote:

      > The keyboards commands were basically for moving around
      > in the document.

      There are better commands for navigating the document, e.g.,
      ^!SetCursor, ^!MoveCursor, ^!Jump, etc. Using these avoids timing
      issues that are inherent with the ^!Keyboard command. I would
      recommend using the ^!Keyboard command only when there is no
      alternative, such as using NoteTab to manipulating other active Windows.

      > What's happening is stuff is ending up out of position, or not
      > entered at all. A keyboard delay seems to work around the issue.
      > Anybody else run into this on 5.5?

      I haven't had any problems, but it is possible that timings would need
      changing for the way you are using the ^!Keyboard command. There was a
      change in the underlying program in recent versions to allow the
      ^!Keyboard command to work in Vista. I believe one side effect
      (benefit) is, ^!Keyboard is less vulnerable to interference from
      accidental (real) keyboard input.

      PS, the Clips list is a better (more active) forum for discussing
      NoteTab's clipcode than this (scripts) list.

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
        Rob Springer wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I seem to be having some issues with scripts that ran
        > fine under 4.95, but the timing of the script commands
        > is having problems on 5.5.
        >
        > The scripts tend to combine both ^!keyboard commands
        > and straight line text entry. The keyboards commands
        > were basically for moving around in the document.
        >
        > What's happening is stuff is ending up out of position,
        > or not entered at all.
        >
        > A keyboard delay seems to work around the issue.
        > Anybody else run into this on 5.5?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rob

        Rob,

        Many users experienced this problem. There were many emails pertaining
        to it.

        I assumed the newer input control was more efficient, thus faster, than
        the old control thereby requiring an added delay between keystrokes.

        I have several clips that depend heavily on ^!KeyBoard commands and
        luckily I had fewer problems than most, but almost invariably adding a
        ^!KeyBoardDelay 1 or ^!KeyBoardDelay 2 command at the beginning of the
        clip solved any problems I had.

        I, also, haven't noticed any degradation in speed of execution of those
        clips.

        ºvº SL-01-36 -created- 2008.01.05 - 10.05.31

        Great Truths Adults Have Learned:
        "Middle age is when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy."
        ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2008
          Hi Harvey,

          Eric declined to change input controls. The program code was updated.
          The input control for Light and Standard is different than the one for
          Pro (richedit vs turbopower), but it is my understanding that each of
          them is using essentially the same input control in previous vs
          current versions.

        • Rob Springer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
            Thanks Sheri,

            I had been moving to these other commands you reference for any new
            scripts, it's just reworking the old ones I was working to avoid.

            How does the direct text entry on a line compare to the ^!Keyboard
            command? I'm referring to when you just direct enter text to be put in
            a document when the script runs. Is this the fastest way to put text
            in? It's definitely the easiest!

            Rob

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
              --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Springer" <springro@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Sheri,
              >
              > I had been moving to these other commands you reference for any
              > new scripts, it's just reworking the old ones I was working to
              > avoid. How does the direct text entry on a line compare to the
              > ^!Keyboard command? I'm referring to when you just direct enter
              > text to be put in a document when the script runs. Is this the
              > fastest way to put text in? It's definitely the easiest!
              >
              > Rob

              Hi Rob,

              I generally use ^!InsertText and ^!InsertHTML, but as long as its
              plain text entering it without a command works fine too. Any of the
              above should be faster and more reliable than using ^!Keyboard for
              that purpose.

              I think you would find my clipcode syntax clips helpful for clip
              writing. Its available here:

              If you need to join the clips group first, go here:

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
                Amen to this! This is the second best thing that happened to me on a
                computer with the first being the discovery of notetab.