[NTS] Re: Dot matching newlines??

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

      > You can buy a new Dell nowadays with Linux on it. (I don't know if
      > that's a sign of a trend or not).

      I'm still entrenched in Windows myself, but definitely not attracted
      to Vista, so you never know. PCRE comes from a Linux environment btw.
      Also, its my understanding that in some of the latest versions of Perl
      you can tell it to use PCRE for regex matching! One of the reasons I
      like PCRE is we get use some of the latest developments in regex/Perl.
      PCRE has features of Perl 5.10 but the latest ActiveState Perl I can
      get is still several years old (around 5.8.8).

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
        On Nov 1, 2007 2:05 PM, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
        > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:
        >
        > > You can buy a new Dell nowadays with Linux on it. (I don't know if
        > > that's a sign of a trend or not).
        >
        > I'm still entrenched in Windows myself, but definitely not attracted
        > to Vista, so you never know. PCRE comes from a Linux environment btw.
        > Also, its my understanding that in some of the latest versions of Perl
        > you can tell it to use PCRE for regex matching! One of the reasons I
        > like PCRE is we get use some of the latest developments in regex/Perl.
        > PCRE has features of Perl 5.10 but the latest ActiveState Perl I can
        > get is still several years old (around 5.8.8).

        I'm a subscriber at next

        http://www.theperlreview.com/

        At there, can see in Perl 5.9.5 (devel, not stable) has named
        captures, coming in Perl 5.10

        Does Notetab have named captures?

        I see it also has at there url the 1st page of the named captures
        article (I'm unaware how much is disclosed in the 1st page)

        (the name tag [ for person to wear ] has (I guess) a named capture on
        it) -- as usual, I need to study more (always behind in my studies)

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

          > At there, can see in Perl 5.9.5 (devel, not stable) has named
          > captures, coming in Perl 5.10
          >
          > Does Notetab have named captures?
          >
          > I see it also has at there url the 1st page of the named captures
          > article (I'm unaware how much is disclosed in the 1st page) (the
          > name tag [ for person to wear ] has (I guess) a named capture on
          > it) -- as usual, I need to study more (always behind in my
          > studies)
          > --

          lol! NoteTab has had named captures since NoteTab version 5.0. PCRE
          has had them since PCRE version 6.7 (current version is 7.4)

          At first the PCRE conventions for named captures was modeled after
          Python, but then .Net's naming version was added, and now that Perl
          has adopted one, PCRE supports that convention also.

          So for regex patterns in NoteTab, named captures can be specified with
          (?<name>...) or (?'name'...) or (?P<name>...)

          Simple backreferences within the pattern can be specified as \k{name}
          or \k<name> or \k'name' or (?P=name) or \g{name}. You can also use
          names for conditional patterns and subroutines (and they have several
          supported conventions too).

          Backreferences in NoteTab's replacement string are written $<name>

          So, when it comes to named captures, NoteTab and PCRE are ahead of
          Perl's curve so to speak.

          Another of the newer features I use alot is \K. \K resets the (whole)
          match start postion. So "Happy \KBirthday" matched against "Happy
          Birthday" returns "Birthday" as the whole match. Unlike a lookbehind
          assertion, what precedes \K is not required to be a fixed length. Perl
          will have \K in version 5.10.

        • Rob Springer
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
            Maybe I'm going crazy...

            Is there some sort of persistence to the setting of these modes?
            Specifically with using the std search/replace box.
            I'm occasionaly getting some weird behavior that could be due to being
            in the wrong mode, but I can't pin it down.

            It does seem that you can use the "unset" techniques on these options
            to be sure it is in the correct mode.

            Thanks,
            Rob

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
              --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Springer" <springro@...> wrote:

              > Maybe I'm going crazy...
              >
              > Is there some sort of persistence to the setting of these modes?
              > Specifically with using the std search/replace box. I'm
              > occasionaly getting some weird behavior that could be due to
              > being in the wrong mode, but I can't pin it down.

              No. However I do think that NoteTab defaults to multiline and (at
              least for ^$GetDocMatchAll$) to case insensitive.

              > It does seem that you can use the "unset" techniques on these
              > options to be sure it is in the correct mode.

              True.

            • Alan C
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                On Nov 9, 2007 8:44 AM, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Springer" <springro@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Maybe I'm going crazy...
                > >
                > > Is there some sort of persistence to the setting of these modes?
                > > Specifically with using the std search/replace box. I'm
                > > occasionaly getting some weird behavior that could be due to
                > > being in the wrong mode, but I can't pin it down.
                >
                > No. However I do think that NoteTab defaults to multiline and (at
                > least for ^$GetDocMatchAll$) to case insensitive.

                > > It does seem that you can use the "unset" techniques on these
                > > options to be sure it is in the correct mode.
                >
                > True.

                Does it matter whether or not the word wrap is turned or switched off
                when using a regex in the search dialog (obviously on the current
                document(s) ).

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                  --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                  > Does it matter whether or not the word wrap is turned or switched off
                  > when using a regex in the search dialog (obviously on the current
                  > document(s) ).

                  Hi Alan, I don't think word wrap mode has any effect on search results
                  via the dialogs or clip commands (regex or not regex). However, it
                  does matter for other clip commands like ^!Jump.