[NTS] Re: Dot matching newlines??

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

      > Me too. For example, in Perl, to enable matching across multiple
      > lines, an option is used/added at the end of the regex (whether
      > it be a match or a substitution).
      >
      > Which makes me wonder if this is a "difference" (not 100% "Perl"
      > compatible) or if there is another explanation ie Notetab uses
      > internal (tokens or something or other) for substitution -- pcre
      > only applies to the match side of an expression in Notetab. Or,
      > do I have some of this backwards?

      Perl supports internal and external options. PCRE also supports
      internal and external options, but leaves the interface up to the
      calling program. PHP, which also uses PCRE, uses pattern delimiters
      similar to Perl. The only external option NoteTab exposes to the user
      is exact vs caseless matching. And that is done by way of checkbox in
      the dialog or as an option letter for the clip commands (not as a
      letter outside a pattern delimiter). NoteTab is likely using some PCRE
      external options itself (like setting multiline by default). The user
      has access to only to internal option settings (except caselessness
      where you can use either one).

      > pcre only applies to the match side of an expression in Notetab.
      > Or, do I have some of this backwards?

      no, that's correct.

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
        On Nov 1, 2007 11:47 AM, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
        > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:
        [ very accustomed to options at end of regex ]

        > Perl supports internal and external options. PCRE also supports
        > internal and external options, but leaves the interface up to the
        > calling program. PHP, which also uses PCRE, uses pattern delimiters
        > similar to Perl. The only external option NoteTab exposes to the user
        > is exact vs caseless matching. And that is done by way of checkbox in
        > the dialog or as an option letter for the clip commands (not as a
        > letter outside a pattern delimiter). NoteTab is likely using some PCRE
        > external options itself (like setting multiline by default). The user
        > has access to only to internal option settings (except caselessness
        > where you can use either one).
        >
        > > pcre only applies to the match side of an expression in Notetab.
        > > Or, do I have some of this backwards?
        >
        > no, that's correct.

        Oh, so Perl can do it either way, either 1. (internal) by including
        (?s) at the start of the pattern or 2. (external ie letter outside of
        a pattern delimiter) option(s) at the end of the regex.

        Guess I'd either forgotten or else had just grown so accustomed to
        using option(s) at the end of the regex (in Perl).

        My fault for using Perl too much, I suppose. (I'd already been using
        Perl and rather than grasp how to make Notetab do or behave like I'd
        been doing with Perl, I just kept using Perl).

        O.T. from next to end (subject is running Win apps integrated into the
        Linux desktop)

        But, then again, I'm using Linux too much nowadays these days as well
        . . . Kinda grows (bit by bit over time) on a person. Don't get
        hooked. Or, do get hooked if that's what you want. Virtual machine
        are handy nowadays, just need a bit of ram; then run two or three
        different O.S. all at once.

        I hope to soon check out virtualbox

        reputed to have a way to (on Linux) run a Win O.S. with Win hidden in
        the background and to seamlessly integrate into your Linux desktop,
        whatever or whichever Win apps you want.

        You can buy a new Dell nowadays with Linux on it. (I don't know if
        that's a sign of a trend or not).

        Wine (Linux software) has been going that/this route too -- a (Windows
        app) "Notetab" window just as if it's a part of the Linux desktop
        (rather than to fire up any Win apps in a seperate or special "for Win
        apps" window or go through a special procedure just to use Win apps)

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

          > You can buy a new Dell nowadays with Linux on it. (I don't know if
          > that's a sign of a trend or not).

          I'm still entrenched in Windows myself, but definitely not attracted
          to Vista, so you never know. PCRE comes from a Linux environment btw.
          Also, its my understanding that in some of the latest versions of Perl
          you can tell it to use PCRE for regex matching! One of the reasons I
          like PCRE is we get use some of the latest developments in regex/Perl.
          PCRE has features of Perl 5.10 but the latest ActiveState Perl I can
          get is still several years old (around 5.8.8).

        • Alan C
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
            On Nov 1, 2007 2:05 PM, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
            > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:
            >
            > > You can buy a new Dell nowadays with Linux on it. (I don't know if
            > > that's a sign of a trend or not).
            >
            > I'm still entrenched in Windows myself, but definitely not attracted
            > to Vista, so you never know. PCRE comes from a Linux environment btw.
            > Also, its my understanding that in some of the latest versions of Perl
            > you can tell it to use PCRE for regex matching! One of the reasons I
            > like PCRE is we get use some of the latest developments in regex/Perl.
            > PCRE has features of Perl 5.10 but the latest ActiveState Perl I can
            > get is still several years old (around 5.8.8).

            I'm a subscriber at next

            http://www.theperlreview.com/

            At there, can see in Perl 5.9.5 (devel, not stable) has named
            captures, coming in Perl 5.10

            Does Notetab have named captures?

            I see it also has at there url the 1st page of the named captures
            article (I'm unaware how much is disclosed in the 1st page)

            (the name tag [ for person to wear ] has (I guess) a named capture on
            it) -- as usual, I need to study more (always behind in my studies)

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2007
              --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

              > At there, can see in Perl 5.9.5 (devel, not stable) has named
              > captures, coming in Perl 5.10
              >
              > Does Notetab have named captures?
              >
              > I see it also has at there url the 1st page of the named captures
              > article (I'm unaware how much is disclosed in the 1st page) (the
              > name tag [ for person to wear ] has (I guess) a named capture on
              > it) -- as usual, I need to study more (always behind in my
              > studies)
              > --

              lol! NoteTab has had named captures since NoteTab version 5.0. PCRE
              has had them since PCRE version 6.7 (current version is 7.4)

              At first the PCRE conventions for named captures was modeled after
              Python, but then .Net's naming version was added, and now that Perl
              has adopted one, PCRE supports that convention also.

              So for regex patterns in NoteTab, named captures can be specified with
              (?<name>...) or (?'name'...) or (?P<name>...)

              Simple backreferences within the pattern can be specified as \k{name}
              or \k<name> or \k'name' or (?P=name) or \g{name}. You can also use
              names for conditional patterns and subroutines (and they have several
              supported conventions too).

              Backreferences in NoteTab's replacement string are written $<name>

              So, when it comes to named captures, NoteTab and PCRE are ahead of
              Perl's curve so to speak.

              Another of the newer features I use alot is \K. \K resets the (whole)
              match start postion. So "Happy \KBirthday" matched against "Happy
              Birthday" returns "Birthday" as the whole match. Unlike a lookbehind
              assertion, what precedes \K is not required to be a fixed length. Perl
              will have \K in version 5.10.

            • Rob Springer
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                Maybe I'm going crazy...

                Is there some sort of persistence to the setting of these modes?
                Specifically with using the std search/replace box.
                I'm occasionaly getting some weird behavior that could be due to being
                in the wrong mode, but I can't pin it down.

                It does seem that you can use the "unset" techniques on these options
                to be sure it is in the correct mode.

                Thanks,
                Rob

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                  --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Springer" <springro@...> wrote:

                  > Maybe I'm going crazy...
                  >
                  > Is there some sort of persistence to the setting of these modes?
                  > Specifically with using the std search/replace box. I'm
                  > occasionaly getting some weird behavior that could be due to
                  > being in the wrong mode, but I can't pin it down.

                  No. However I do think that NoteTab defaults to multiline and (at
                  least for ^$GetDocMatchAll$) to case insensitive.

                  > It does seem that you can use the "unset" techniques on these
                  > options to be sure it is in the correct mode.

                  True.

                • Alan C
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                    On Nov 9, 2007 8:44 AM, Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
                    > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Springer" <springro@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Maybe I'm going crazy...
                    > >
                    > > Is there some sort of persistence to the setting of these modes?
                    > > Specifically with using the std search/replace box. I'm
                    > > occasionaly getting some weird behavior that could be due to
                    > > being in the wrong mode, but I can't pin it down.
                    >
                    > No. However I do think that NoteTab defaults to multiline and (at
                    > least for ^$GetDocMatchAll$) to case insensitive.

                    > > It does seem that you can use the "unset" techniques on these
                    > > options to be sure it is in the correct mode.
                    >
                    > True.

                    Does it matter whether or not the word wrap is turned or switched off
                    when using a regex in the search dialog (obviously on the current
                    document(s) ).

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                      > Does it matter whether or not the word wrap is turned or switched off
                      > when using a regex in the search dialog (obviously on the current
                      > document(s) ).

                      Hi Alan, I don't think word wrap mode has any effect on search results
                      via the dialogs or clip commands (regex or not regex). However, it
                      does matter for other clip commands like ^!Jump.