Re: [NTS] Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB key ?

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
      --- "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the USB key, and edited the
      > Properties of that shortcut to add the command parameter /USB like
      > so:
      >
      > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

      Try moving the end parenthesis thus:-

      "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe /USB"
    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
        On 8/10/07, tuttle.grey <tuttle@...> wrote:

        > I copied the NoteTab Pro 5.3 directories to a USB flash drive. I want
        > to run NoteTab Pro from that drive, along with my preferences
        > (NotePro.ini) and my modified clipbook libraries of HTML.clb and
        > CSS1.clb.
        >
        > [ . . ]
        >
        > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB
        >
        > [ loads Notetab but saves ini to main HD not to USB ]
        >
        > How and where do I use this command parameter to force everthing to be
        > done on the USB drive?

        You can't (AFAIK) (given if there's also a Notetab on the HD with it's ini
        in app data) (or if there's a notepro.ini under the app data folder area on
        this computer).

        Backup first, prior to making changes!

        But, to get Ntab to use an ini under the Ntab app/program folder: 1. cannot
        have an Ntab ini (notepro.ini) under the app data HD folder area when Ntab
        starts. 2. To do this, (AFAIK) Notetab must find notepro.ini "only"
        underneath the USB HD's Notetab program folder when your USB Notetab starts.

        This means the notepro ini under app data (AFAIK) on main HD must be
        moved/deleted.

        Notetab (AFAIK) does not (any longer*) support two different Notetab
        installations on the same computer without the overwriting of some files
        (clip librarys etc.) taking place under the app data area.

        * I said any longer because a long time ago notetab did not even use the app
        data area. Back then all data and config was under the Ntab app folder. Was
        EZ to have two or three Notetab installs -- just name the program folders
        differently.

        But then MS Windows changed -- into "cannot write to ini" *except* if it's
        in app data area. *unless* have administrator priveleges then can write to
        ini under the program folder.

        Correspondingly, at that time, Ntab's "default" ini location changed to the
        app data area.

        I wonder if on your O.S. you need admin privelege to write to ini on USB

        That's "roughly" about the extent of what I know.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
          P.S. You might also try posting on ntb-clips yahoo group, the clips
          group due to it has over 1500 members whereas this group has only near
          166 members.

          I've not actually used Ntab from USB.

          Hopefully, from 1500 plus members, someone has used from USB and can
          share from that perspective.

          Thanks.

        • Tuttle Grey
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2007
            On Sat, August 11, 2007 10:16 am, fw7oaks wrote:

            > --- "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
            >
            > [snip]
            >
            >> I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the USB key, and edited the
            >> Properties of that shortcut to add the command parameter /USB like
            >> so:
            >>
            >> "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB
            >
            > Try moving the end parenthesis thus:-
            >
            > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe /USB"

            Was that just a guess? Because that generates an error message:

            The name ... specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and
            filename are correct.

            It seems that those switches are not allowed between the quotation marks.