Command Parameters to run NoteTab Prom NotePro.ini, clipbooks from USB key ?

  • tuttle.grey
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2007
      I copied the NoteTab Pro 5.3 directories to a USB flash drive. I want
      to run NoteTab Pro from that drive, along with my preferences
      (NotePro.ini) and my modified clipbook libraries of HTML.clb and
      CSS1.clb.

      How to I do this? The help file says to use command parameter /USB, but
      I don't know where to put that. I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the
      USB key, and edited the Properties of that shortcut to add the command
      parameter /USB like so:

      "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

      It doesn't work. The application on the USB key launches, but any
      changes I make to clipbooks or to preferences (NoteTab.ini) then change
      those files on my main hard drive. That indicates to me that it is not
      accessing those files on the USB key.

      How and where do I use this command parameter to force everthing to be
      done on the USB drive?
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
        --- "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the USB key, and edited the
        > Properties of that shortcut to add the command parameter /USB like
        > so:
        >
        > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB

        Try moving the end parenthesis thus:-

        "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe /USB"
      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
          On 8/10/07, tuttle.grey <tuttle@...> wrote:

          > I copied the NoteTab Pro 5.3 directories to a USB flash drive. I want
          > to run NoteTab Pro from that drive, along with my preferences
          > (NotePro.ini) and my modified clipbook libraries of HTML.clb and
          > CSS1.clb.
          >
          > [ . . ]
          >
          > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB
          >
          > [ loads Notetab but saves ini to main HD not to USB ]
          >
          > How and where do I use this command parameter to force everthing to be
          > done on the USB drive?

          You can't (AFAIK) (given if there's also a Notetab on the HD with it's ini
          in app data) (or if there's a notepro.ini under the app data folder area on
          this computer).

          Backup first, prior to making changes!

          But, to get Ntab to use an ini under the Ntab app/program folder: 1. cannot
          have an Ntab ini (notepro.ini) under the app data HD folder area when Ntab
          starts. 2. To do this, (AFAIK) Notetab must find notepro.ini "only"
          underneath the USB HD's Notetab program folder when your USB Notetab starts.

          This means the notepro ini under app data (AFAIK) on main HD must be
          moved/deleted.

          Notetab (AFAIK) does not (any longer*) support two different Notetab
          installations on the same computer without the overwriting of some files
          (clip librarys etc.) taking place under the app data area.

          * I said any longer because a long time ago notetab did not even use the app
          data area. Back then all data and config was under the Ntab app folder. Was
          EZ to have two or three Notetab installs -- just name the program folders
          differently.

          But then MS Windows changed -- into "cannot write to ini" *except* if it's
          in app data area. *unless* have administrator priveleges then can write to
          ini under the program folder.

          Correspondingly, at that time, Ntab's "default" ini location changed to the
          app data area.

          I wonder if on your O.S. you need admin privelege to write to ini on USB

          That's "roughly" about the extent of what I know.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
            P.S. You might also try posting on ntb-clips yahoo group, the clips
            group due to it has over 1500 members whereas this group has only near
            166 members.

            I've not actually used Ntab from USB.

            Hopefully, from 1500 plus members, someone has used from USB and can
            share from that perspective.

            Thanks.

          • Tuttle Grey
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2007
              On Sat, August 11, 2007 10:16 am, fw7oaks wrote:

              > --- "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:
              >
              > [snip]
              >
              >> I made a shortcut to NotePro.exe on the USB key, and edited the
              >> Properties of that shortcut to add the command parameter /USB like
              >> so:
              >>
              >> "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe" /USB
              >
              > Try moving the end parenthesis thus:-
              >
              > "E:\NoteTab Pro 5.3\NotePro.exe /USB"

              Was that just a guess? Because that generates an error message:

              The name ... specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and
              filename are correct.

              It seems that those switches are not allowed between the quotation marks.