Re: [NTS] Using Python instead of Perl

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 19 5:43 PM
      Jason,

      For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:

      ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$

      So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
      output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
      of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.

      Oh well.

      rd

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 19 9:47 PM
        Hi Rick,

        Have you tried

        ^$GetDosOutput("whatever command")$

        sometimes GetDosOutput works

        other times GetOutput works

        Of the two, Perl generally seems to like the GetDosOutput better.

        I suppose your Python binary and pertinent libraries are in your OS
        environment search path or otherwise you'd also have a problem in a
        console too. (and you don't have prob in console)

        None of those search paths in $PATH (for Python) have a space in the
        path? I'm thinking: if space then ntb may need use of the GetShort()

        Perl has no space in path. Likely Python doesn't either.

        I'd try Python now. But I'm too far along down (or up) into the
        *depth* of the Perl pool or lake or whatever it is. And, vision sees
        Perl falling together before too long now.

        I'll try Python after that happens.

        Alan.

        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

        > Jason,
        >
        > For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:
        >
        > ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$
        >
        > So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
        > output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
        > of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.
        >
        > Oh well.
        >
        > rd
        >
        > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jason,
        > >
        > > Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
        > > from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.
        > >
        > > ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$
        > >
        > > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Rick,
        > > >
        > > > From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than
        Perl.
        > > > If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages,
        > such as
        > > > C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
        [ . . ]
      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 20 7:16 AM
          Thanks, Alan,

          Same result with GetDosOutput. I tried that before posting. It sends
          the version number to StdErr. The python path has no spaces.

          As for Python vs. Perl, it's one of those holy wars, like Emacs vs.
          vi. I was told to try both, so I bought a book on Perl and another on
          Python. I already have Perl scripts and I'll keep using them. I'll let
          you know more after I learn more Python.

          Rick

          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>