RE: [NTS] Using Python instead of Perl

  • Jason Morgan
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
      No problem. If you have any questions about anything I'll try and
      answer them.

      --
      Jason Morgan
      Senior Programmer

    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 18, 2005
        Jason,

        Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
        from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.

        ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$

      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
          Jason,

          For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:

          ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$

          So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
          output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
          of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.

          Oh well.

          rd

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
            Hi Rick,

            Have you tried

            ^$GetDosOutput("whatever command")$

            sometimes GetDosOutput works

            other times GetOutput works

            Of the two, Perl generally seems to like the GetDosOutput better.

            I suppose your Python binary and pertinent libraries are in your OS
            environment search path or otherwise you'd also have a problem in a
            console too. (and you don't have prob in console)

            None of those search paths in $PATH (for Python) have a space in the
            path? I'm thinking: if space then ntb may need use of the GetShort()

            Perl has no space in path. Likely Python doesn't either.

            I'd try Python now. But I'm too far along down (or up) into the
            *depth* of the Perl pool or lake or whatever it is. And, vision sees
            Perl falling together before too long now.

            I'll try Python after that happens.

            Alan.

            --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

            > Jason,
            >
            > For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:
            >
            > ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$
            >
            > So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
            > output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
            > of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.
            >
            > Oh well.
            >
            > rd
            >
            > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jason,
            > >
            > > Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
            > > from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.
            > >
            > > ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$
            > >
            > > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Rick,
            > > >
            > > > From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than
            Perl.
            > > > If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages,
            > such as
            > > > C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
            [ . . ]
          • rpdooling
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 20, 2005
              Thanks, Alan,

              Same result with GetDosOutput. I tried that before posting. It sends
              the version number to StdErr. The python path has no spaces.

              As for Python vs. Perl, it's one of those holy wars, like Emacs vs.
              vi. I was told to try both, so I bought a book on Perl and another on
              Python. I already have Perl scripts and I'll keep using them. I'll let
              you know more after I learn more Python.

              Rick

              --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>