Re: Smart/intelligent text formatting

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
      Alan,

      Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
      Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line

      my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};

      to:

      my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};

      by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
      clipcode autoformatter.

      Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
      ignore clip code lines starting with "^"

      My line looks like:

      my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});

      If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.

      I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the last.

      Rick

      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>
      wrote:
      > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
      > > Well, I poked around and looked at the Template-Toolkit, but I can't
      > > find a win32 rendition which is where I do all of my work. If they
      > > ever port NoteTab or Delphi to Linux, then I could be persuaded to
      > > switch. So for now I better just use plain old autoformat.
      >
      > I haven't tried the T-T module yet. But it appears it is avail for
      Win32

      http://www.google.com/search?q=ppm+template-toolkit&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

      http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Parse-RecDescent-1.94/lib/Parse/RecDescent.pod

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
        Hi Rick,

        That's great to know! Thanks. I'd be interested your entire script
        unless there's nothing more that's new in it outside of what you've
        already shared here.

        I cannot get the ignore option to work in Linux. I've tried over 7
        different ways, all to no avail.

        In Linux, I read from a file (I had tried unsuccessfully so far to map
        relevant command to a key in the Vim editor). Also I don't yet savvy
        enough on the Kate editor to create a "tool" (macro making use of
        external program).

        my junkr.txt file has 5 or 6 paragraphs. 2 paragraphs have word verbatim

        Each of those 2 para has a really long line.

        It always formats all para to 72 character line length. I thought it
        supposed to ignore, not format those 2 para. But it does.

        (PS I haven't tried the ignore option on Windows yet). I'll boot Win
        on another day, not today.

        Do you see anything, problem? Here it is for Linux:

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        use strict;
        use Text::Autoformat;
        my $orig = '/home/al/junkr.txt';
        my $rawtext;
        # AC 080205
        {
        local( $/ ) ; # change input record separator to file slurp
        open(OLD, "<", $orig) or die "cant open $orig: $!";
        $rawtext = <OLD> # slurp entirety of file into $rawtext
        }
        # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;
        # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
        # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {ignore => qr/original/i, all=>1});

        my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext, { all=>1, ignore=>qr/verbatim/ };

        # $formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g; # join lines if desire to

        print "$formatted\n";
        # print autoformat { all => 1, ignore => qr/verbatim/i }, $rawtext;
        print "# ============ re formatted is above and raw orig is below
        ==========";
        print "\n$rawtext\n";
        # end

        Alan.

        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
        > Alan,
        >
        > Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
        > Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line
        >
        > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};
        >
        > to:
        >
        > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};
        >
        > by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
        > clipcode autoformatter.
        >
        > Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
        > ignore clip code lines starting with "^"
        >
        > My line looks like:
        >
        > my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});
        >
        > If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.
        >
        > I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the last.
        >
        > Rick
        >
        > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>
        > wrote:
        [ snip ]
      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
          Jason,

          Thank you. I'll get the Active State Python installed and get a book.
          Somebody else said just to try both, so I will.

          Thanks for showing us how to run it from NoteTab.

          Rick

        • rpdooling
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
            Alan,

            Only thing I see in yours is that I seemed to get errors if I didn't
            put all of the options in one line, including the ignore one.

            -----begin autoformat perl script-----
            #!perl -w

            use strict;
            use Text::Autoformat;
            my $rawtext;

            # while (<DATA>) {
            while (<>) {

            $rawtext = "$rawtext$_";

            }

            # If you ever want to change the margins, etc.
            # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
            # If you don't have the "all=>1" then it does only one
            # line at a time.

            my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});

            # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;

            print "$formatted\n";

            # print "\n$rawtext\n";
            # the following will join all of the lines.
            # should be able to put the RegExp from the add blank
            # lines clip in here.
            #$formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g;
            #print "$formatted\n";

            #to autoformat notetab clip code, open the autoformat.pm
            #module, find the "quotechar" line and add a ";" to the
            #characters recognized as starting a comment or quote line.

            #for help with autoformat type "perldoc Text::Autoformat at the
            #command prompt d:\perl>perldoc Text::AutoFormat

            wrote:
> [...]
            > print "\n$rawtext\n";
            > # end
            >
            > Alan.
            >
            > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
            > > Alan,
            > >
            > > Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
            > > Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line
            > >
            > > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};
            > >
            > > to:
            > >
            > > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};
            > >
            > > by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
            > > clipcode autoformatter.
            > >
            > > Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
            > > ignore clip code lines starting with "^"
            > >
            > > My line looks like:
            > >
            > > my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});
            > >
            > > If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.
            > >
            > > I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the

          • Jason Morgan
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
              No problem. If you have any questions about anything I'll try and
              answer them.

              --
              Jason Morgan
              Senior Programmer

            • rpdooling
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 18, 2005
                Jason,

                Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
                from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.

                ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$

              • rpdooling
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
                  Jason,

                  For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:

                  ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$

                  So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
                  output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
                  of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.

                  Oh well.

                  rd

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
                    Hi Rick,

                    Have you tried

                    ^$GetDosOutput("whatever command")$

                    sometimes GetDosOutput works

                    other times GetOutput works

                    Of the two, Perl generally seems to like the GetDosOutput better.

                    I suppose your Python binary and pertinent libraries are in your OS
                    environment search path or otherwise you'd also have a problem in a
                    console too. (and you don't have prob in console)

                    None of those search paths in $PATH (for Python) have a space in the
                    path? I'm thinking: if space then ntb may need use of the GetShort()

                    Perl has no space in path. Likely Python doesn't either.

                    I'd try Python now. But I'm too far along down (or up) into the
                    *depth* of the Perl pool or lake or whatever it is. And, vision sees
                    Perl falling together before too long now.

                    I'll try Python after that happens.

                    Alan.

                    --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

                    > Jason,
                    >
                    > For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:
                    >
                    > ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$
                    >
                    > So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
                    > output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
                    > of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.
                    >
                    > Oh well.
                    >
                    > rd
                    >
                    > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jason,
                    > >
                    > > Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
                    > > from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.
                    > >
                    > > ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$
                    > >
                    > > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Rick,
                    > > >
                    > > > From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than
                    Perl.
                    > > > If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages,
                    > such as
                    > > > C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
                    [ . . ]
                  • rpdooling
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 20, 2005
                      Thanks, Alan,

                      Same result with GetDosOutput. I tried that before posting. It sends
                      the version number to StdErr. The python path has no spaces.

                      As for Python vs. Perl, it's one of those holy wars, like Emacs vs.
                      vi. I was told to try both, so I bought a book on Perl and another on
                      Python. I already have Perl scripts and I'll keep using them. I'll let
                      you know more after I learn more Python.