Re: Smart/intelligent text formatting

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
      Dear Alan:

      The template toolkit is WAY overkill for my needs. I looked at it last
      night, then uninstalled it. But I did play more with text::autoformat.
      Just the barebones module is slick indeed. I configured it to ignore
      any line beginning with ^! so it can be used on clip code, but I can't
      figure out how to teach it that NoteTab marks comments with a ";" One
      kludgy way to do it is to just have the clip replace the ";" with "#"
      first (which text::autoformat recognizes), then change the "#s" back
      to ";s" after autoformat runs.

      I wrote the author of the module to see if there is a way to teach it
      that for us NoteTabbers our comment lines start with ";"

      Rick

      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>
      wrote:
      > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
      > > Well, I poked around and looked at the Template-Toolkit, but I can't
      > > find a win32 rendition which is where I do all of my work. If they
      > > ever port NoteTab or Delphi to Linux, then I could be persuaded to
      > > switch. So for now I better just use plain old autoformat.
      >
      > I haven't tried the T-T module yet. But it appears it is avail for
      Win32

      http://www.google.com/search?q=ppm+template-toolkit&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

      http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Parse-RecDescent-1.94/lib/Parse/RecDescent.pod

      > http://search.cpan.org/~tbone/Parse-RecDescent-FAQ-3.94/FAQ.pm
      >
      > I don't know much about, really. Hope to some day once I further
      > advance my Perl skills.
      >
      > Perhaps snoop/search around for parser intelligence and similar if
      > interested.
      >
      > Alan.
    • Jason Morgan
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
        Not sure if anyone is interested, but I've managed to create clips that
        will run Python code (which is what I mainly use). If anyone is
        interested, let me know.

        --
        Jason Morgan
        Senior Programmer
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
          Jason,

          Fire away. I'm just learning PERL and thinking about switching to
          Python instead because I forget everything in between immersions. I
          hear Python is easier to read and remember.

          Rick

          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
          > Not sure if anyone is interested, but I've managed to create clips that
          > will run Python code (which is what I mainly use). If anyone is
          > interested, let me know.
          >
          > --
          > Jason Morgan
          > Senior Programmer
          > Decipher, Inc.
          > p 800.923.5523
        • Jason Morgan
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
            Rick,

            From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than Perl.
            If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages, such as
            C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
            As the majority of my clips are very specialized to my needs, I'm
            including a very simple example that should give you an idea of how to
            get started. You will need to install Python, which is free and can be
            downloaded from www.python.org. There you can also find almost
            everything you need to get started programming in Python.

            H="Sort"
            ^!RunScript C:\python24\python.exe sort

            H="sort"
            from sys import stdin
            input = stdin.read().split('\n')
            input.sort()
            print '\n'.join(input)

            --
            Jason Morgan
            Senior Programmer

          • rpdooling
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
              Alan,

              Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
              Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line

              my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};

              to:

              my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};

              by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
              clipcode autoformatter.

              Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
              ignore clip code lines starting with "^"

              My line looks like:

              my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});

              If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.

              I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the last.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                Hi Rick,

                That's great to know! Thanks. I'd be interested your entire script
                unless there's nothing more that's new in it outside of what you've
                already shared here.

                I cannot get the ignore option to work in Linux. I've tried over 7
                different ways, all to no avail.

                In Linux, I read from a file (I had tried unsuccessfully so far to map
                relevant command to a key in the Vim editor). Also I don't yet savvy
                enough on the Kate editor to create a "tool" (macro making use of
                external program).

                my junkr.txt file has 5 or 6 paragraphs. 2 paragraphs have word verbatim

                Each of those 2 para has a really long line.

                It always formats all para to 72 character line length. I thought it
                supposed to ignore, not format those 2 para. But it does.

                (PS I haven't tried the ignore option on Windows yet). I'll boot Win
                on another day, not today.

                Do you see anything, problem? Here it is for Linux:

                #!/usr/bin/perl -w

                use strict;
                use Text::Autoformat;
                my $orig = '/home/al/junkr.txt';
                my $rawtext;
                # AC 080205
                {
                local( $/ ) ; # change input record separator to file slurp
                open(OLD, "<", $orig) or die "cant open $orig: $!";
                $rawtext = <OLD> # slurp entirety of file into $rawtext
                }
                # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;
                # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
                # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {ignore => qr/original/i, all=>1});

                my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext, { all=>1, ignore=>qr/verbatim/ };

                # $formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g; # join lines if desire to

                print "$formatted\n";
                # print autoformat { all => 1, ignore => qr/verbatim/i }, $rawtext;
                print "# ============ re formatted is above and raw orig is below
                ==========";
                print "\n$rawtext\n";
                # end

                Alan.

                --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                > Alan,
                >
                > Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
                > Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line
                >
                > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};
                >
                > to:
                >
                > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};
                >
                > by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
                > clipcode autoformatter.
                >
                > Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
                > ignore clip code lines starting with "^"
                >
                > My line looks like:
                >
                > my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});
                >
                > If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.
                >
                > I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the last.
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>
                > wrote:
                [ snip ]
              • rpdooling
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                  Jason,

                  Thank you. I'll get the Active State Python installed and get a book.
                  Somebody else said just to try both, so I will.

                  Thanks for showing us how to run it from NoteTab.

                • rpdooling
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                    Alan,

                    Only thing I see in yours is that I seemed to get errors if I didn't
                    put all of the options in one line, including the ignore one.

                    -----begin autoformat perl script-----
                    #!perl -w

                    use strict;
                    use Text::Autoformat;
                    my $rawtext;

                    # while (<DATA>) {
                    while (<>) {

                    $rawtext = "$rawtext$_";

                    }

                    # If you ever want to change the margins, etc.
                    # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
                    # If you don't have the "all=>1" then it does only one
                    # line at a time.

                    my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});

                    # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;

                    print "$formatted\n";

                    # print "\n$rawtext\n";
                    # the following will join all of the lines.
                    # should be able to put the RegExp from the add blank
                    # lines clip in here.
                    #$formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g;
                    #print "$formatted\n";

                    #to autoformat notetab clip code, open the autoformat.pm
                    #module, find the "quotechar" line and add a ";" to the
                    #characters recognized as starting a comment or quote line.

                    #for help with autoformat type "perldoc Text::Autoformat at the
                    #command prompt d:\perl>perldoc Text::AutoFormat

                    wrote:
> [...]
                    > print "\n$rawtext\n";
                    > # end
                    >
                    > Alan.
                    >
                    > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                    > > Alan,
                    > >
                    > > Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
                    > > Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line
                    > >
                    > > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};
                    > >
                    > > to:
                    > >
                    > > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};
                    > >
                    > > by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
                    > > clipcode autoformatter.
                    > >
                    > > Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
                    > > ignore clip code lines starting with "^"
                    > >
                    > > My line looks like:
                    > >
                    > > my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});
                    > >
                    > > If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.
                    > >
                    > > I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the

                  • Jason Morgan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
                      No problem. If you have any questions about anything I'll try and
                      answer them.

                      --
                      Jason Morgan
                      Senior Programmer

                    • rpdooling
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 18, 2005
                        Jason,

                        Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
                        from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.

                        ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$

                      • rpdooling
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
                          Jason,

                          For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:

                          ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$

                          So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
                          output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
                          of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.

                          Oh well.

                          rd

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
                            Hi Rick,

                            Have you tried

                            ^$GetDosOutput("whatever command")$

                            sometimes GetDosOutput works

                            other times GetOutput works

                            Of the two, Perl generally seems to like the GetDosOutput better.

                            I suppose your Python binary and pertinent libraries are in your OS
                            environment search path or otherwise you'd also have a problem in a
                            console too. (and you don't have prob in console)

                            None of those search paths in $PATH (for Python) have a space in the
                            path? I'm thinking: if space then ntb may need use of the GetShort()

                            Perl has no space in path. Likely Python doesn't either.

                            I'd try Python now. But I'm too far along down (or up) into the
                            *depth* of the Perl pool or lake or whatever it is. And, vision sees
                            Perl falling together before too long now.

                            I'll try Python after that happens.

                            Alan.

                            --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

                            > Jason,
                            >
                            > For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:
                            >
                            > ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$
                            >
                            > So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
                            > output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
                            > of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.
                            >
                            > Oh well.
                            >
                            > rd
                            >
                            > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Jason,
                            > >
                            > > Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
                            > > from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.
                            > >
                            > > ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$
                            > >
                            > > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Rick,
                            > > >
                            > > > From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than
                            Perl.
                            > > > If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages,
                            > such as
                            > > > C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
                            [ . . ]
                          • rpdooling
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 20, 2005
                              Thanks, Alan,

                              Same result with GetDosOutput. I tried that before posting. It sends
                              the version number to StdErr. The python path has no spaces.

                              As for Python vs. Perl, it's one of those holy wars, like Emacs vs.
                              vi. I was told to try both, so I bought a book on Perl and another on
                              Python. I already have Perl scripts and I'll keep using them. I'll let
                              you know more after I learn more Python.