Re: Smart/intelligent text formatting

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
      > Alan,
      >
      > >>is there another script that can be run afterwords to remove the
      > hard paragraph breaks at the end of each line?<<
      >
      > Never mind. Sorry. Select All. Join lines. Duh.

      (new clips are enclosed at bottom)

      Well, if you'd rather be lazy and have Perl do the work instead, I had
      also needed to add a modification anyways. So, new mod/update
      included below, here goes:

      Hi Rick,

      I'm not sure wether you want all lines joined or only want consecutive
      (so to speak) lines joined.

      At doc for Text-Autoformat:

      http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Text-Autoformat-1.13/lib/Text/Autoformat.pm

      I couldn't locate any option to run lines together.

      But to do so, join lines, is very easy to do with the Perl
      substitution operator:

      s///; <- skeleton of such/said operator

      s/-2Breplaced-/--replace_with_this--/any_option(s)_go_here;

      Look at bottom where clips R included herein for: # newly added line

      It uses substitution operator to join *all* lines together (replaces
      with a space). If do not want that then remove the plus character

      +

      remove that + makes it do only one line break at a time rather than
      multiple consecutive line breaks at each_time/spot (note: the g for
      global option is used, thus each "spot/time/occurrence").

      Also in clip below, look for: <new>

      I meant to re post and do that a while back but forgot to do so.

      Yet even more: the all option makes it process all text passed to it

      my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1});

      my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext);

      if do like that latter, without the all option, then it processes only
      the first paragraph of text even if you pass it multiple paragraphs.

      I just now discovered this next url for the first time:

      http://search.cpan.org/~abw/Template-Toolkit-2.14/lib/Template/Plugin/Autoformat.pm

      A template interface to text-autoformat. (make my own templates for
      to have available the output of various and different format
      patterns). Pick/choose a template to run according to a particular
      desired output format.

      Goodness, as to the amount of possibilities that exists here!

      Probably a caution I should previously had is to work up to (biggest,
      huge file size). (I'd guess it means above a few megabytes in file
      size)-- most common texts don't get up to near that big at all.

      My intent so far for myself equate to use it for formatting email
      replies and similar where the size of text is not overly huge. It
      slurps an entire file into memory/ram. And, ram is finite though it
      typically takes an overly huge file size in order to bring any
      problem. This slurping is commonly something that's done. But there
      can be a type of a situation (*really* huge file) where some other
      solution (such as tie, etc.) would be preferred.

      Alan.

      Dear Alan:

      The text::autoformat works great, but it puts a hard return at the end
      of each line. Is there an option or something that can be set to avoid
      that? Alternatively, is there another script that can be run afterwords
      to remove the hard paragraph breaks at the end of each line?

      Thanks

      Rick

      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acumming@c...> wrote:
      > Text::Autoformat
      >
      > been using that Perl module on Linux. Impressive.
      >
      > http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Text-Autoformat-
      > 1.13/lib/Text/Autoformat.pm
      >
      > There's a bit of doc and what it will do.
      >
      > I just installed that module on my Win 2k and works super in Notetab.
      >
      > ppm equals perl package manager
      >
      > http://www.google.com/search?q=ppm+repositories
      >
      > bribes a ppm repository has Text-Autoformat (mine Windows Perl is
      > Activestate Perl 5.8.X) (Additionally I also saw the module there for
      > Perl 5.6.X)
      >
      > ppm> help
      >
      > ppm> help repository
      >
      > ppm> rep add bribes http_url_2_the_bribes_repo
      >
      > ppm> search text-autoformat
      >
      > ppm> install text-autoformat
      >
      > ppm> quit
      >
      > line length default of 72 char lines for now (well, 2 code lines
      > R with "all" so U can comment the one and un comment the other
      > line containing "all" which provides two choices of formatting).
      > May develop it more with more choices, bells, and whistles. Two
      > clips next:

      H="t_a_format"
      ^!RunPerl taform

      H="_taform"
      #!perl -w

      use strict;
      use Text::Autoformat;
      my $rawtext;

      # ----------------<new>----------------------------
      # <depracated>
      # while (<DATA>) {
      # while (<>) {
      # $rawtext = "$rawtext$_";
      # }
      # </depracated>

      {
      # file slurp method. Significantly beats depracated
      local( $/ ) ; # faster than while loop. This
      $rawtext = <> # just slurps file into scalar variable
      }
      # ------------------</new>-------------------------

      # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
      my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1});
      # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;

      # newly added line is next (joins lines)
      $formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g;
      print "$formatted\n";
      # print "\n$rawtext\n"
      # ----end----

      > Thanks for the tip on autoformat..

      You're welcome.

      I ran across it from somewhere Perl out there. I found it interesting.

    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 27, 2005
        Well, I poked around and looked at the Template-Toolkit, but I can't
        find a win32 rendition which is where I do all of my work. If they
        ever port NoteTab or Delphi to Linux, then I could be persuaded to
        switch. So for now I better just use plain old autoformat.

        What's your favorite solution to the problem of reformatting text that
        comes to you with hard returns at the end of each line and NO blank
        space separating the paragraphs?

        I found this one on the clips forum that works most of the time.

        ^!REPLACE "{[.!?]}\b*$" >> "\1\n" ritswa

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 27, 2005
          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
          > Well, I poked around and looked at the Template-Toolkit, but I can't
          > find a win32 rendition which is where I do all of my work. If they
          > ever port NoteTab or Delphi to Linux, then I could be persuaded to
          > switch. So for now I better just use plain old autoformat.

          I haven't tried the T-T module yet. But it appears it is avail for Win32

          http://template-toolkit.org/download.html

          Win32 about half way down the page.

          http://www.google.com/search?q=ppm+template-toolkit&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

          Another way could be

          H="_taform"

          H="_taform2"

          etc. etc. IOW have various formatting options in different child
          clips. And call up the desired one.

          I'll be looking more into all of the above. But it's some days/weeks
          up ahead at this time before it happens as I'm too booked up right now
          to put yet another onto the platter at this time. If I discover more
          or make script with more bells and whistles then I'll post here about it.

          > What's your favorite solution to the problem of reformatting text that
          > comes to you with hard returns at the end of each line and NO blank
          > space separating the paragraphs?
          >
          > I found this one on the clips forum that works most of the time.
          >
          > ^!REPLACE "{[.!?]}\b*$" >> "\1\n" ritswa

          It appears that looks for a period, exclamation mark, or question mark
          with yes or no an adjacent word_boundary(s) (space(s)) -- and,
          whenever hits/strikes that criteria, it inserts another line break.

          I haven't ever had text come to me with the problem that you describe.

          As long as the Notetab regex is doing what it set out to do then it
          looks to me like there'd be no point in a Perl regex as to do so would
          only duplicate the Notetab results.

          To dial in even more, wouldn't a parser need at least some
          intelligence (as in ability to discern via language/grammar "rules" as
          to when it is appropriate to have/make a paragraph)?

          The Parse-rec-descent module in Perl is trainable. It is trained via
          grammars (rules) that you feed to it. I know it raises the
          intelligence level above that of what regex can do.

          also is other parser that starts low and ascends (the inverse of P-R-D)

          http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Parse-RecDescent-1.94/lib/Parse/RecDescent.pod

          http://search.cpan.org/~tbone/Parse-RecDescent-FAQ-3.94/FAQ.pm

          I don't know much about, really. Hope to some day once I further
          advance my Perl skills.

          Perhaps snoop/search around for parser intelligence and similar if
          interested.

          Alan.
        • rpdooling
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
            Dear Alan:

            The template toolkit is WAY overkill for my needs. I looked at it last
            night, then uninstalled it. But I did play more with text::autoformat.
            Just the barebones module is slick indeed. I configured it to ignore
            any line beginning with ^! so it can be used on clip code, but I can't
            figure out how to teach it that NoteTab marks comments with a ";" One
            kludgy way to do it is to just have the clip replace the ";" with "#"
            first (which text::autoformat recognizes), then change the "#s" back
            to ";s" after autoformat runs.

            I wrote the author of the module to see if there is a way to teach it
            that for us NoteTabbers our comment lines start with ";"

            Rick

            --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>

          • Jason Morgan
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
              Not sure if anyone is interested, but I've managed to create clips that
              will run Python code (which is what I mainly use). If anyone is
              interested, let me know.

              --
              Jason Morgan
              Senior Programmer
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                Jason,

                Fire away. I'm just learning PERL and thinking about switching to
                Python instead because I forget everything in between immersions. I
                hear Python is easier to read and remember.

                Rick

                --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
                > Not sure if anyone is interested, but I've managed to create clips that
                > will run Python code (which is what I mainly use). If anyone is
                > interested, let me know.
                >
                > --
                > Jason Morgan
                > Senior Programmer
                > Decipher, Inc.
                > p 800.923.5523
              • Jason Morgan
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                  Rick,

                  From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than Perl.
                  If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages, such as
                  C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
                  As the majority of my clips are very specialized to my needs, I'm
                  including a very simple example that should give you an idea of how to
                  get started. You will need to install Python, which is free and can be
                  downloaded from www.python.org. There you can also find almost
                  everything you need to get started programming in Python.

                  H="Sort"
                  ^!RunScript C:\python24\python.exe sort

                  H="sort"
                  from sys import stdin
                  input = stdin.read().split('\n')
                  input.sort()
                  print '\n'.join(input)

                  --
                  Jason Morgan
                  Senior Programmer

                • rpdooling
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                    Alan,

                    Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
                    Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line

                    my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};

                    to:

                    my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};

                    by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
                    clipcode autoformatter.

                    Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
                    ignore clip code lines starting with "^"

                    My line looks like:

                    my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});

                    If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.

                    I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the last.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                      Hi Rick,

                      That's great to know! Thanks. I'd be interested your entire script
                      unless there's nothing more that's new in it outside of what you've
                      already shared here.

                      I cannot get the ignore option to work in Linux. I've tried over 7
                      different ways, all to no avail.

                      In Linux, I read from a file (I had tried unsuccessfully so far to map
                      relevant command to a key in the Vim editor). Also I don't yet savvy
                      enough on the Kate editor to create a "tool" (macro making use of
                      external program).

                      my junkr.txt file has 5 or 6 paragraphs. 2 paragraphs have word verbatim

                      Each of those 2 para has a really long line.

                      It always formats all para to 72 character line length. I thought it
                      supposed to ignore, not format those 2 para. But it does.

                      (PS I haven't tried the ignore option on Windows yet). I'll boot Win
                      on another day, not today.

                      Do you see anything, problem? Here it is for Linux:

                      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

                      use strict;
                      use Text::Autoformat;
                      my $orig = '/home/al/junkr.txt';
                      my $rawtext;
                      # AC 080205
                      {
                      local( $/ ) ; # change input record separator to file slurp
                      open(OLD, "<", $orig) or die "cant open $orig: $!";
                      $rawtext = <OLD> # slurp entirety of file into $rawtext
                      }
                      # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;
                      # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
                      # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {ignore => qr/original/i, all=>1});

                      my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext, { all=>1, ignore=>qr/verbatim/ };

                      # $formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g; # join lines if desire to

                      print "$formatted\n";
                      # print autoformat { all => 1, ignore => qr/verbatim/i }, $rawtext;
                      print "# ============ re formatted is above and raw orig is below
                      ==========";
                      print "\n$rawtext\n";
                      # end

                      Alan.

                      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                      > Alan,
                      >
                      > Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
                      > Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line
                      >
                      > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};
                      >
                      > to:
                      >
                      > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};
                      >
                      > by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
                      > clipcode autoformatter.
                      >
                      > Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
                      > ignore clip code lines starting with "^"
                      >
                      > My line looks like:
                      >
                      > my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});
                      >
                      > If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.
                      >
                      > I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the last.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "acummingsus" <acummingsus@g...>
                      > wrote:
                      [ snip ]
                    • rpdooling
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                        Jason,

                        Thank you. I'll get the Active State Python installed and get a book.
                        Somebody else said just to try both, so I will.

                        Thanks for showing us how to run it from NoteTab.

                      • rpdooling
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                          Alan,

                          Only thing I see in yours is that I seemed to get errors if I didn't
                          put all of the options in one line, including the ignore one.

                          -----begin autoformat perl script-----
                          #!perl -w

                          use strict;
                          use Text::Autoformat;
                          my $rawtext;

                          # while (<DATA>) {
                          while (<>) {

                          $rawtext = "$rawtext$_";

                          }

                          # If you ever want to change the margins, etc.
                          # my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {left=>20, right=>60, all=>1});
                          # If you don't have the "all=>1" then it does only one
                          # line at a time.

                          my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});

                          # my $formatted = autoformat $rawtext;

                          print "$formatted\n";

                          # print "\n$rawtext\n";
                          # the following will join all of the lines.
                          # should be able to put the RegExp from the add blank
                          # lines clip in here.
                          #$formatted =~ s/\n+/ /g;
                          #print "$formatted\n";

                          #to autoformat notetab clip code, open the autoformat.pm
                          #module, find the "quotechar" line and add a ";" to the
                          #characters recognized as starting a comment or quote line.

                          #for help with autoformat type "perldoc Text::Autoformat at the
                          #command prompt d:\perl>perldoc Text::AutoFormat

                          wrote:
> [...]
                          > print "\n$rawtext\n";
                          > # end
                          >
                          > Alan.
                          >
                          > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                          > > Alan,
                          > >
                          > > Damian Conway, the guy who wrote the autoformat module wrote me back.
                          > > Just open the autoformat.pm module and change the line
                          > >
                          > > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:]};
                          > >
                          > > to:
                          > >
                          > > my $quotechar = qq{[!#%=|:;]};
                          > >
                          > > by adding the ";" and poof, it's a great
                          > > clipcode autoformatter.
                          > >
                          > > Be sure to add in the script itself a line that tells the module to
                          > > ignore clip code lines starting with "^"
                          > >
                          > > My line looks like:
                          > >
                          > > my $formatted = autoformat($rawtext, {all=>1, ignore=>qr/(\^)/});
                          > >
                          > > If anybody wants to whole script I'll post it later.
                          > >
                          > > I hope I didn't double post. Yahoo locked up in the middle of the

                        • Jason Morgan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
                            No problem. If you have any questions about anything I'll try and
                            answer them.

                            --
                            Jason Morgan
                            Senior Programmer

                          • rpdooling
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 18, 2005
                              Jason,

                              Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
                              from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.

                              ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$

                            • rpdooling
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
                                Jason,

                                For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:

                                ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$

                                So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
                                output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
                                of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.

                                Oh well.

                                rd

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 19, 2005
                                  Hi Rick,

                                  Have you tried

                                  ^$GetDosOutput("whatever command")$

                                  sometimes GetDosOutput works

                                  other times GetOutput works

                                  Of the two, Perl generally seems to like the GetDosOutput better.

                                  I suppose your Python binary and pertinent libraries are in your OS
                                  environment search path or otherwise you'd also have a problem in a
                                  console too. (and you don't have prob in console)

                                  None of those search paths in $PATH (for Python) have a space in the
                                  path? I'm thinking: if space then ntb may need use of the GetShort()

                                  Perl has no space in path. Likely Python doesn't either.

                                  I'd try Python now. But I'm too far along down (or up) into the
                                  *depth* of the Perl pool or lake or whatever it is. And, vision sees
                                  Perl falling together before too long now.

                                  I'll try Python after that happens.

                                  Alan.

                                  --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:

                                  > Jason,
                                  >
                                  > For purposes of comparison, this DOES work:
                                  >
                                  > ^!Info ^$GetOutput(python -c "import sys;print sys.version")$
                                  >
                                  > So I'm thinking it's some quirk in Python or NoteTab that sends the
                                  > output of a regular commandline Python command to StdErr.err instead
                                  > of allowing NoteTab to grab it with the ^$GetOutput()$ function.
                                  >
                                  > Oh well.
                                  >
                                  > rd
                                  >
                                  > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Jason,
                                  > >
                                  > > Any idea why I can't get something like this to work? It works fine
                                  > > from the command line no matter what directory I'm in.
                                  > >
                                  > > ^!Info ^$GetOutput("python -V")$
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morgan" <jason@d...> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Rick,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > From my point of view, Python is much easier to understand than
                                  Perl.
                                  > > > If you have any experience with other Object Oriented languages,
                                  > such as
                                  > > > C/C++, Python should be a snap for you.
                                  [ . . ]
                                • rpdooling
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 20, 2005
                                    Thanks, Alan,

                                    Same result with GetDosOutput. I tried that before posting. It sends
                                    the version number to StdErr. The python path has no spaces.

                                    As for Python vs. Perl, it's one of those holy wars, like Emacs vs.
                                    vi. I was told to try both, so I bought a book on Perl and another on
                                    Python. I already have Perl scripts and I'll keep using them. I'll let
                                    you know more after I learn more Python.