Re: [NTS] Hotkeys for clips using Windows shortcuts

  • silvermoonwoman2001
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
      --- In ntb-scripts@y..., "john041650" <john041650@y...> wrote:
      > Don, you don't need a clip to do that, although I have several that
      do..

      > To force Windows Explorer to open in a default location, use
      something like the following in a Windows shortcut:

      > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, c:\mine
      >
      > /n = always opens in a new window.
      > /e = forces 2 pane view
      >

      > I use Windows 2000, on my machine and I can launch the Explorer and
      have it go to a folder called C:\Mine with the following clip:

      > ^!Shell "C:\WINNT\explorer.exe" /n, /e, c:\mine

      Yes the command line switches will do that, and there two other
      switches (/root, and /select,). But if you like to go a variety of
      folders, you would like this shareware program called Wingo that I've
      been using forever (at least since Windows 95).

      http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Download.asp?
      rid=173&fname=wgsetup.exe

      It puts a little roadsign icon in your tray. Rightclick it and you
      can assign aliases to various drives and paths. Left click and you
      can pick from those names and launch explorer to alias's path. Latest
      version supports putting icons to the names, using special folders
      (like Printers and Control Panel). It has configuration options for
      the explorer that will open for each alias (one pane, two or
      default), and alternatively you can display the contents of the
      folder instead of opening explorer. I must use it twenty times a
      day. Its $12.

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
        Hi Don,

        >have a clip which opens explorer and takes me to a particular folder
        >
        >Now there is something I can use, an explorer explorer.

        The focus it now worked I think in Win 98 but doesn't in Win 2K I think is so due to differences of text up in the titlebar of explorer between the two Operating systems.

        to use the fav program launch feature you'll need to uncomment and put path on the shell "path to my line.

        Of course i now have this clip on a Win 2k 'puter with partitioned HD. so i need D:\programs not C:\Program Files

        So I'll edit my own clip for myself. You may need do so for yours.

        --
        as Sheri mentioned desktop shortcut can do it too. Here what i have in target field of desktop shortcut opens to my program files folder

        E:\WINNT\explorer.exe /n,/e, "d:\programs"
        --

        Clip follows.

        H="ExplorerPower"
        ^!Setwizardtitle Open Explorer or a Favorite Program

        ^!Set %Dirname%=^?{(H=14)Select Directory==Browse|My Computer^=::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}|C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\|C:\|D:\install\|_C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\|C:\My Documents\||Yes, launch a fav program^=Yes||If explorer open, focus it now^=focusit}

        ^!IfTrue ^%Dirname% Next Else Skip_2
        ; ^!Shell "path to my exe program"
        ^!Goto Exit
        ^!IfSame ^%Dirname% focusit Focusnow Else Next
        ^!IfSame ^%Dirname% Browse Dirbrows Else Next
        ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
        ^!Goto Exit
        :Dirbrows
        ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^?{(T=D)Browse=}
        ^!Goto Exit
        :Focusnow
        ^!FarClip Utilities:Explorer
        ; --<end of clip

        --
        Regards. Alan.
      • Jody
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
          Hi silvermoonwoman,

          > > It seems just by glancing that I could make it do it around the
          > > following, but the following never popsup when I put an ^!Info
          > > box around it. Oh well, got to get on to other things. Thanks!
          > >
          > > :Wait2
          > > ^!IfAppOpen "*Properties" Next Else Wait2
          > > ^!FocusApp "*Properties"
          >
          >There are a few ^!Delays you could lengthen.
          >
          >If, during clip execution, it seems to "hang" on the Windows
          >Explorer due to not doing ^!Keyboard Alt+Enter at the right time,
          >you could manually open the Properties Sheet and the clip would
          >resume from there. The correct icon *should* already be
          >highlighted.

          It never seems to make it to that portion of the Clip though.

          :Wait2
          ^!Info This never popped up for me.
          ^!IfAppOpen "*Properties" Next Else Wait2
          ^!FocusApp "*Properties"

          Happy Script'n!
          Jody Adair

          UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:ntb-Scripts-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          http://www.notetab.net
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

            Out of five hotkey clips I made, two of them didn't initially work. I
            have no clue why, there was no conflict with other shortcut keys,
            they obviously "took" according to properties, and I could click on
            them to execute.

            I decided to take them off the desktop and put them into a hotkey
            directory, and made a new hotkey toolbar on the taskbar. All of them
            worked fine as hotkeys then. I changed the icons to the customized
            icons I'd made for the clips and can toggle the toolbar on and off as
            needed :-).

            Julie
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002
              --- In ntb-scripts@y..., "Julie " <jlg61@m...> wrote:
              > Hi Sheri,
              >
              > Out of five hotkey clips I made, two of them didn't initially work.
              > have no clue why, there was no conflict with other shortcut keys,
              > they obviously "took" according to properties, and I could click on
              > them to execute.
              >
              > I decided to take them off the desktop and put them into a hotkey
              > directory, and made a new hotkey toolbar on the taskbar. All of
              them
              > worked fine as hotkeys then. I changed the icons to the customized
              > icons I'd made for the clips and can toggle the toolbar on and off
              as
              > needed :-).
              >
              > Julie

              Hi Julie and Jody,

              I have been troubleshooting my clip, and here is what I've discovered:

              You cannot be operating from a library with a clip named:
              OnClipBoardChange in it. It makes no difference what is done in the
              OnClipBoardChange. The best way to get around it is to temporarily
              rename the clip. There also cannot be an OnClipBoardChange clip in
              the library from which you are highlighting a clip for hotkey. What
              happens in this case, is the clip "hangs" at the point that it should
              be editing the shortcut properties (to insert the startup directory
              and hotkey chosen).

              Above only refers to using my clip to build the shortcut/hotkey.

              As far as actually using the hotkey, one will not work in your
              current session if your current session is presently using an ini
              file other than Notetab's. You could be using a different ini file
              either because you launched Notetab from a command line that had
              an /INI= parameter on it, or because a clip you used had a ^!
              SetIniFile command.

              For the first problem, you can just reset the ini back to Notetab's,
              then use the hotkey. For the second problem, the hotkey's launch
              line could be changed to point to the same INI file as your primary
              launch (then its not going to work when Notetab's or some other ini
              gets set).

              I am enhancing the clip to put hotkeys in a Hotkey directory at
              Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Hotkeys (all of mine are there now, and
              working well) and to offer to add the /INI= paramter if an alternate
              ini is in use while the clip is running. But your clips can change
              ini files at will, so there will could be times a hotkey won't work.
              I am also adding an option to run Hotkey Detective (Julie, if you
              tell me where on the Start Menu ShortCuts Map goes and its shortcut
              name, I'll add that as other option).

              Julie, I'm not sure I understand where your Hotkeys shortcuts are
              now. It is my understanding from the documentation that hotkeys are
              not recognized from the launch menu on the Taskbar, so surely not
              there. Why/what is the menu you mentioned on your taskbar? The idea
              of the hotkeys is to use the keyboard, not to click an icon <g>. When
              the hotkey is working properly, your press the Ctrl+Alt+(assigned
              character) and it is just as if the clip was run from a clipbar or
              from clicking the clip in the clipbook.

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                >You cannot be operating from a library with a clip named:
                >OnClipBoardChange in it. It makes no difference what is done in the
                >OnClipBoardChange. The best way to get around it is to temporarily
                >rename the clip. There also cannot be an OnClipBoardChange clip in
                >the library from which you are highlighting a clip for hotkey. What
                >happens in this case, is the clip "hangs" at the point that it should
                >be editing the shortcut properties (to insert the startup directory
                >and hotkey chosen).

                Both of the clips that I initially couldn't activate with the shortcut keys
                contained OnClipBoardChange, and used a different ini file. I had no
                problem creating the clip shortcuts, though, through your clip. (This is
                Win98 is it makes a difference at all.)

                >(Julie, if you tell me where on the Start Menu ShortCuts Map goes and its
                >shortcut name, I'll add that as other option).

                The default path to the program is "C:\Program Files\Shortcuts
                Map\shctmap.exe". It's not in it's default location on the start menu.

                >Julie, I'm not sure I understand where your Hotkeys shortcuts are
                >now. It is my understanding from the documentation that hotkeys are
                >not recognized from the launch menu on the Taskbar, so surely not
                >there. Why/what is the menu you mentioned on your taskbar? The idea
                >of the hotkeys is to use the keyboard, not to click an icon <g>. When
                >the hotkey is working properly, your press the Ctrl+Alt+(assigned
                >character) and it is just as if the clip was run from a clipbar or
                >from clicking the clip in the clipbook.

                The shortcuts are in a folder called Hotkeys on the start menu. When I
                couldn't get them to work as shortcut keys, I decided to have them
                accessible through a Toolbar. What I did was right click on the Taskbar,
                went to Toolbars, New Toolbar, browsed to the Hotkeys folder, and created a
                new toolbar from the contents of the folder with the intent of using the
                clips that didn't seem to want to work with the keyboard shortcuts (whew).
                Suddenly though I could use the keyboard shortcuts to run the clips(?).
                These two clips contain the ^!Pasteback command and are used outside of
                Notetab, so even being able to click on them without having to open/switch
                to Notetab was very nice :-).

                I do prefer the keyboard... which is why a program like Shortcuts Map comes
                in very handy. I open all the most frequently used programs with three
                fingers <G>.

                Julie
              • Jody
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                  The only problem I have that I can see is I cannot get the Clip
                  to activate leaving NoteTab minimized unless I do so in the
                  shortcut. The problem I have with that is when I go to focus
                  NoteTab from the Taskbar it comes up in the Normal state - I
                  always run Maximized. I know it is not your problem Sheri, but
                  thought maybe you might have a solution. See, what I want to do
                  is turn on and off my PasteBack Library w/o having to go into
                  NoteTab and clicking on my On/Off Clips. It does what it is
                  suppose to, but I don't like the side effects. ;)

                  I suppose I could make another shortcut to switch to NoteTab in
                  the Maximized state, but that is way too many things for this
                  hillbilly to remember. <g>

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002
                    --- In ntb-scripts@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                    > Hi Sheri,
                    >
                    > The only problem I have that I can see is I cannot get the Clip
                    > to activate leaving NoteTab minimized unless I do so in the
                    > shortcut. The problem I have with that is when I go to focus
                    > NoteTab from the Taskbar it comes up in the Normal state - I
                    > always run Maximized. I know it is not your problem Sheri, but
                    > thought maybe you might have a solution. See, what I want to do
                    > is turn on and off my PasteBack Library w/o having to go into
                    > NoteTab and clicking on my On/Off Clips. It does what it is
                    > suppose to, but I don't like the side effects. ;)

                    Hi Jody,

                    I think you can get what you're after by adding to the end of
                    the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" clips:

                    ^!MinimizeApp

                    You might also want to consider doing something else than you do for
                    Turn Off, because as it is (at least in Noteback), the Clipboard
                    checking doesn't stop. If instead you used a hotkey to run a clip in
                    a different library without OnClipboardChange, it would also disable
                    your Pasteback, presumeably freeing up considerable resources.

                  • Jody
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                      >I think you can get what you're after by adding to the end of
                      >the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" clips:
                      >
                      >^!MinimizeApp

                      But then that would take me out of NoteTab when I do not want to
                      when clicking on them manually.

                      >You might also want to consider doing something else than you do
                      >for Turn Off, because as it is (at least in Noteback), the
                      >Clipboard checking doesn't stop. If instead you used a hotkey to
                      >run a clip in a different library without OnClipboardChange, it
                      >would also disable your Pasteback, presumeably freeing up
                      >considerable resources.

                      Yes, you are right and it has caused a few problems over the
                      years (not actually turning OnClipboardChange off, but just
                      exiting the Clip if I set the variable to tell it to exit when I
                      want it "off"), but not enough for me to bother with it. <g> I'm
                      sort of the type of guy that I'm so busy that things that only
                      cause me very minor annoyances far and few between I don't mess
                      with changing them until a real need arises. Actually, I run a
                      number of Clips from the Clipbar that I indeed need to exit the
                      Library and once it does what it does, normally sending something
                      to Eudora, I have it switch back into the Library so I can use my
                      version of NoteBack. I wear out that Library. <bg> It saves me,
                      gee, 1000 hours a week, month, who knows, but it is lots and lots
                      and lots.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 11, 2002
                        --- In ntb-scripts@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                        > Hi Sheri,
                        >
                        > >I think you can get what you're after by adding to the end of
                        > >the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" clips:
                        > >
                        > >^!MinimizeApp
                        >
                        > But then that would take me out of NoteTab when I do not want to
                        > when clicking on them manually.

                        Put a clip in your Noteback library with nothing but

                        ^!MinimizeApp

                        and another in a different library that has no OnClipboardChange.

                        Use the one in Noteback for shortcut-turn-on purposes (which happens
                        in your OnOpen), and the one in the other library for shortcut-turn-
                        off purposes.

                        > Yes, you are right and it has caused a few problems over the
                        > years (not actually turning OnClipboardChange off, but just
                        > exiting the Clip if I set the variable to tell it to exit when I
                        > want it "off"), but not enough for me to bother with it. <g> I'm
                        > sort of the type of guy that I'm so busy that things that only
                        > cause me very minor annoyances far and few between I don't mess
                        > with changing them until a real need arises. Actually, I run a
                        > number of Clips from the Clipbar that I indeed need to exit the
                        > Library and once it does what it does, normally sending something
                        > to Eudora, I have it switch back into the Library so I can use my
                        > version of NoteBack. I wear out that Library. <bg> It saves me,
                        > gee, 1000 hours a week, month, who knows, but it is lots and lots
                        > and lots.

                        I see that it does. Trouble for me is, I would want to make ad hoc
                        changes in Notetab (with Notetab focused, and not as a result of
                        every clipboard change) and then pasteback <g>