Re: [NTS] Re: [Clip] Basic tips on using Perl progs?

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
      Hi. 4 clips follow (U do not need to make a .pl file unless U want to)
      - I often do not use .pl file but instead do like the next 4 clips which
      I think is how it's done in samplecode library also.

      pl_ctrl_char2 might needed as the first one (without the 2) (2 is
      Shari's solution) , first 1 I pasted the actual box char which might not
      make it thru email.

      H="pl_ptagger"
      ^!RunPerl pl_ptagr
      ^!RunPerl pl_ctrl_char

      H="_pl_ptagr"
      while (<>) {
      print "<p>";
      print ;
      print "</p>";
      }

      H="_pl_ctrl_char"
      # rids of pesky box char 26 Ntab issue
      while (<>) {
      s/\//;
      print ;
      }

      H="_pl_ctrl_char2"
      while (<>) {
      if (eof && $] > 5.006) {
      $badchar = chr(26);
      s/($badchar)$//;
      }
      print ;
      # end

      Alec Burgess wrote:

      >Ian: followup
      >
      >This clip:
      >H="direct Perl"
      >^!RunPerl C:\TEMP\simpletest.pl
      >
      >with this file:
      >#simpletest.pl
      ># Begining of script
      >print "<p>";
      >LOOP: while (<>) {
      >print;
      >}
      >print "<p>"
      ># End of script simple test
      >
      >does what you want - but still has the problem with the blockchar before the closing <p>
      >
      >let me know if you solve the block char problem.
      >
      >Regards ... Alec

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
        Alan C wrote:

        >H="pl_ptagger"
        >^!RunPerl pl_ptagr
        >^!RunPerl pl_ctrl_char
        >
        >H="_pl_ptagr"
        >while (<>) {
        >print "<p>";
        >print ;
        >print "</p>";
        >}

        Oop, that does a line by line basis. if U multiple lines selected then
        each line gets p tags.

        The Perl input record separator needs changed to slurp mode if u do not
        want each of multi lines in such a case as that p tagged.

        undef $/; # Enter "file slurp" mode

        H="_pl_ptagr"
        undef $/; # Enter "file slurp" mode
        while (<>) {
        print "<p>";
        print ;
        print "</p>";
        }
        # end

        print "</p>";might need to be

        print "<\/p>";

        or might need to be

        print '</p>';
        --

        LOTS to it all (Perl is a full fledged programming language, a rather powerful one). But Perl is kind in that easy things R easy which means we can Perl at our level of expertise until we learn more and graduate upward.

        I find the need to just play with the stuff ie experiment. a mechanical sort of learning.

        (I'm on Linux I fired up Notetab on wine but I cannot have Ntab call my Linux Perl) so I'm just going from previous experience on writing those clips.

        If you have more issues, post here on the list again. I'll try to do what I can. I'm somewhere near intermediate skill level on Perl now. And I still fire up windows once in a while although not as much as Linux.

        Alan.
      • Ian Rastall
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
          On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:43:12 -0400, Alec wrote:

          >let me know if you solve the block char problem.

          Hi Alec. One solution I've found is to run HTML Tidy, although that
          only works in HTML.

          I have a lot of reading tonight, after the clips you've posted.
          Thanks!

          Ian
          --
          Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
          matter, this repetition, this running around

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2005
              Hi Alan, Ian

              Alan:
              I tried it with both the straight substitution after putting bax the box car which got eaten by yahoo-groups.

              pl_ctrl_char:
              AFAICT: it eats the box char left before the closing <p> but then deposits its own *after* the closing <p>

              Sherri's pl_ctrl_char:
              This works!!

              I'll have to start doing more with Perl scripts again. I think I like using a direct invocation of a script file rather than a two or three level script clip - makes testing easier.

              Ian: Using HTML-Tidy to get rid of the box char is ingenious :-) It doesn't even seem to generate an error-file, just gets rid of the box char.
              -- I'm glad you asked your question.

              Regards ... Alec
              --