Re: [NTS] Hotkeys for clips using Windows shortcuts

  • john041650
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
      Don, you don't need a clip to do that, although I have several that do..

      To force Windows Explorer to open in a default location, use something like the following in a Windows shortcut:

      C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, c:\mine

      /n = always opens in a new window.
      /e = forces 2 pane view

      I use Windows 2000, on my machine and I can launch the Explorer and have it go to a folder called C:\Mine with the following clip:

      ^!Shell "C:\WINNT\explorer.exe" /n, /e, c:\mine

      FWIW I use Powerdesk instead of the Windows Explorer.. If you happen to have that program, I have a clip that opens that file manager in a lot of different ways, including the default file path of the active file in NoteTab.

      John

      --- In ntb-scripts@y..., "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
      > Sheri,
      >
      > If you can work with windows explorer (see snip below), is it possible to
      > have a clip which opens explorer and takes me to a particular folder for
      > navigation? I spend hours opening explorer and then it always is in my
      > c:\startmenu folder and from there I have to negotiate to another drive d:\
      > and ... etc.

    • silvermoonwoman2001
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
        --- In ntb-scripts@y..., "john041650" <john041650@y...> wrote:
        > Don, you don't need a clip to do that, although I have several that
        do..

        > To force Windows Explorer to open in a default location, use
        something like the following in a Windows shortcut:

        > C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n, /e, c:\mine
        >
        > /n = always opens in a new window.
        > /e = forces 2 pane view
        >

        > I use Windows 2000, on my machine and I can launch the Explorer and
        have it go to a folder called C:\Mine with the following clip:

        > ^!Shell "C:\WINNT\explorer.exe" /n, /e, c:\mine

        Yes the command line switches will do that, and there two other
        switches (/root, and /select,). But if you like to go a variety of
        folders, you would like this shareware program called Wingo that I've
        been using forever (at least since Windows 95).

        http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Download.asp?
        rid=173&fname=wgsetup.exe

        It puts a little roadsign icon in your tray. Rightclick it and you
        can assign aliases to various drives and paths. Left click and you
        can pick from those names and launch explorer to alias's path. Latest
        version supports putting icons to the names, using special folders
        (like Printers and Control Panel). It has configuration options for
        the explorer that will open for each alias (one pane, two or
        default), and alternatively you can display the contents of the
        folder instead of opening explorer. I must use it twenty times a
        day. Its $12.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
          Hi Don,

          >have a clip which opens explorer and takes me to a particular folder
          >
          >Now there is something I can use, an explorer explorer.

          The focus it now worked I think in Win 98 but doesn't in Win 2K I think is so due to differences of text up in the titlebar of explorer between the two Operating systems.

          to use the fav program launch feature you'll need to uncomment and put path on the shell "path to my line.

          Of course i now have this clip on a Win 2k 'puter with partitioned HD. so i need D:\programs not C:\Program Files

          So I'll edit my own clip for myself. You may need do so for yours.

          --
          as Sheri mentioned desktop shortcut can do it too. Here what i have in target field of desktop shortcut opens to my program files folder

          E:\WINNT\explorer.exe /n,/e, "d:\programs"
          --

          Clip follows.

          H="ExplorerPower"
          ^!Setwizardtitle Open Explorer or a Favorite Program

          ^!Set %Dirname%=^?{(H=14)Select Directory==Browse|My Computer^=::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}|C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\|C:\|D:\install\|_C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\|C:\My Documents\||Yes, launch a fav program^=Yes||If explorer open, focus it now^=focusit}

          ^!IfTrue ^%Dirname% Next Else Skip_2
          ; ^!Shell "path to my exe program"
          ^!Goto Exit
          ^!IfSame ^%Dirname% focusit Focusnow Else Next
          ^!IfSame ^%Dirname% Browse Dirbrows Else Next
          ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^%Dirname%
          ^!Goto Exit
          :Dirbrows
          ^!Shell explorer.exe /n,/e, ^?{(T=D)Browse=}
          ^!Goto Exit
          :Focusnow
          ^!FarClip Utilities:Explorer
          ; --<end of clip

          --
          Regards. Alan.
        • Jody
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 7, 2002
            Hi silvermoonwoman,

            > > It seems just by glancing that I could make it do it around the
            > > following, but the following never popsup when I put an ^!Info
            > > box around it. Oh well, got to get on to other things. Thanks!
            > >
            > > :Wait2
            > > ^!IfAppOpen "*Properties" Next Else Wait2
            > > ^!FocusApp "*Properties"
            >
            >There are a few ^!Delays you could lengthen.
            >
            >If, during clip execution, it seems to "hang" on the Windows
            >Explorer due to not doing ^!Keyboard Alt+Enter at the right time,
            >you could manually open the Properties Sheet and the clip would
            >resume from there. The correct icon *should* already be
            >highlighted.

            It never seems to make it to that portion of the Clip though.

            :Wait2
            ^!Info This never popped up for me.
            ^!IfAppOpen "*Properties" Next Else Wait2
            ^!FocusApp "*Properties"

            Happy Script'n!
            Jody Adair

            UnSubscribe, Options
            mailto:ntb-Scripts-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
            http://www.notetab.net
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

              Out of five hotkey clips I made, two of them didn't initially work. I
              have no clue why, there was no conflict with other shortcut keys,
              they obviously "took" according to properties, and I could click on
              them to execute.

              I decided to take them off the desktop and put them into a hotkey
              directory, and made a new hotkey toolbar on the taskbar. All of them
              worked fine as hotkeys then. I changed the icons to the customized
              icons I'd made for the clips and can toggle the toolbar on and off as
              needed :-).

              Julie
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002
                --- In ntb-scripts@y..., "Julie " <jlg61@m...> wrote:
                > Hi Sheri,
                >
                > Out of five hotkey clips I made, two of them didn't initially work.
                > have no clue why, there was no conflict with other shortcut keys,
                > they obviously "took" according to properties, and I could click on
                > them to execute.
                >
                > I decided to take them off the desktop and put them into a hotkey
                > directory, and made a new hotkey toolbar on the taskbar. All of
                them
                > worked fine as hotkeys then. I changed the icons to the customized
                > icons I'd made for the clips and can toggle the toolbar on and off
                as
                > needed :-).
                >
                > Julie

                Hi Julie and Jody,

                I have been troubleshooting my clip, and here is what I've discovered:

                You cannot be operating from a library with a clip named:
                OnClipBoardChange in it. It makes no difference what is done in the
                OnClipBoardChange. The best way to get around it is to temporarily
                rename the clip. There also cannot be an OnClipBoardChange clip in
                the library from which you are highlighting a clip for hotkey. What
                happens in this case, is the clip "hangs" at the point that it should
                be editing the shortcut properties (to insert the startup directory
                and hotkey chosen).

                Above only refers to using my clip to build the shortcut/hotkey.

                As far as actually using the hotkey, one will not work in your
                current session if your current session is presently using an ini
                file other than Notetab's. You could be using a different ini file
                either because you launched Notetab from a command line that had
                an /INI= parameter on it, or because a clip you used had a ^!
                SetIniFile command.

                For the first problem, you can just reset the ini back to Notetab's,
                then use the hotkey. For the second problem, the hotkey's launch
                line could be changed to point to the same INI file as your primary
                launch (then its not going to work when Notetab's or some other ini
                gets set).

                I am enhancing the clip to put hotkeys in a Hotkey directory at
                Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Hotkeys (all of mine are there now, and
                working well) and to offer to add the /INI= paramter if an alternate
                ini is in use while the clip is running. But your clips can change
                ini files at will, so there will could be times a hotkey won't work.
                I am also adding an option to run Hotkey Detective (Julie, if you
                tell me where on the Start Menu ShortCuts Map goes and its shortcut
                name, I'll add that as other option).

                Julie, I'm not sure I understand where your Hotkeys shortcuts are
                now. It is my understanding from the documentation that hotkeys are
                not recognized from the launch menu on the Taskbar, so surely not
                there. Why/what is the menu you mentioned on your taskbar? The idea
                of the hotkeys is to use the keyboard, not to click an icon <g>. When
                the hotkey is working properly, your press the Ctrl+Alt+(assigned
                character) and it is just as if the clip was run from a clipbar or
                from clicking the clip in the clipbook.

              • Julie
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                  >You cannot be operating from a library with a clip named:
                  >OnClipBoardChange in it. It makes no difference what is done in the
                  >OnClipBoardChange. The best way to get around it is to temporarily
                  >rename the clip. There also cannot be an OnClipBoardChange clip in
                  >the library from which you are highlighting a clip for hotkey. What
                  >happens in this case, is the clip "hangs" at the point that it should
                  >be editing the shortcut properties (to insert the startup directory
                  >and hotkey chosen).

                  Both of the clips that I initially couldn't activate with the shortcut keys
                  contained OnClipBoardChange, and used a different ini file. I had no
                  problem creating the clip shortcuts, though, through your clip. (This is
                  Win98 is it makes a difference at all.)

                  >(Julie, if you tell me where on the Start Menu ShortCuts Map goes and its
                  >shortcut name, I'll add that as other option).

                  The default path to the program is "C:\Program Files\Shortcuts
                  Map\shctmap.exe". It's not in it's default location on the start menu.

                  >Julie, I'm not sure I understand where your Hotkeys shortcuts are
                  >now. It is my understanding from the documentation that hotkeys are
                  >not recognized from the launch menu on the Taskbar, so surely not
                  >there. Why/what is the menu you mentioned on your taskbar? The idea
                  >of the hotkeys is to use the keyboard, not to click an icon <g>. When
                  >the hotkey is working properly, your press the Ctrl+Alt+(assigned
                  >character) and it is just as if the clip was run from a clipbar or
                  >from clicking the clip in the clipbook.

                  The shortcuts are in a folder called Hotkeys on the start menu. When I
                  couldn't get them to work as shortcut keys, I decided to have them
                  accessible through a Toolbar. What I did was right click on the Taskbar,
                  went to Toolbars, New Toolbar, browsed to the Hotkeys folder, and created a
                  new toolbar from the contents of the folder with the intent of using the
                  clips that didn't seem to want to work with the keyboard shortcuts (whew).
                  Suddenly though I could use the keyboard shortcuts to run the clips(?).
                  These two clips contain the ^!Pasteback command and are used outside of
                  Notetab, so even being able to click on them without having to open/switch
                  to Notetab was very nice :-).

                  I do prefer the keyboard... which is why a program like Shortcuts Map comes
                  in very handy. I open all the most frequently used programs with three
                  fingers <G>.

                  Julie
                • Jody
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                    The only problem I have that I can see is I cannot get the Clip
                    to activate leaving NoteTab minimized unless I do so in the
                    shortcut. The problem I have with that is when I go to focus
                    NoteTab from the Taskbar it comes up in the Normal state - I
                    always run Maximized. I know it is not your problem Sheri, but
                    thought maybe you might have a solution. See, what I want to do
                    is turn on and off my PasteBack Library w/o having to go into
                    NoteTab and clicking on my On/Off Clips. It does what it is
                    suppose to, but I don't like the side effects. ;)

                    I suppose I could make another shortcut to switch to NoteTab in
                    the Maximized state, but that is way too many things for this
                    hillbilly to remember. <g>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002
                      --- In ntb-scripts@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                      > Hi Sheri,
                      >
                      > The only problem I have that I can see is I cannot get the Clip
                      > to activate leaving NoteTab minimized unless I do so in the
                      > shortcut. The problem I have with that is when I go to focus
                      > NoteTab from the Taskbar it comes up in the Normal state - I
                      > always run Maximized. I know it is not your problem Sheri, but
                      > thought maybe you might have a solution. See, what I want to do
                      > is turn on and off my PasteBack Library w/o having to go into
                      > NoteTab and clicking on my On/Off Clips. It does what it is
                      > suppose to, but I don't like the side effects. ;)

                      Hi Jody,

                      I think you can get what you're after by adding to the end of
                      the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" clips:

                      ^!MinimizeApp

                      You might also want to consider doing something else than you do for
                      Turn Off, because as it is (at least in Noteback), the Clipboard
                      checking doesn't stop. If instead you used a hotkey to run a clip in
                      a different library without OnClipboardChange, it would also disable
                      your Pasteback, presumeably freeing up considerable resources.

                    • Jody
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 10, 2002

                        >I think you can get what you're after by adding to the end of
                        >the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" clips:
                        >
                        >^!MinimizeApp

                        But then that would take me out of NoteTab when I do not want to
                        when clicking on them manually.

                        >You might also want to consider doing something else than you do
                        >for Turn Off, because as it is (at least in Noteback), the
                        >Clipboard checking doesn't stop. If instead you used a hotkey to
                        >run a clip in a different library without OnClipboardChange, it
                        >would also disable your Pasteback, presumeably freeing up
                        >considerable resources.

                        Yes, you are right and it has caused a few problems over the
                        years (not actually turning OnClipboardChange off, but just
                        exiting the Clip if I set the variable to tell it to exit when I
                        want it "off"), but not enough for me to bother with it. <g> I'm
                        sort of the type of guy that I'm so busy that things that only
                        cause me very minor annoyances far and few between I don't mess
                        with changing them until a real need arises. Actually, I run a
                        number of Clips from the Clipbar that I indeed need to exit the
                        Library and once it does what it does, normally sending something
                        to Eudora, I have it switch back into the Library so I can use my
                        version of NoteBack. I wear out that Library. <bg> It saves me,
                        gee, 1000 hours a week, month, who knows, but it is lots and lots
                        and lots.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 11, 2002
                          --- In ntb-scripts@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                          > Hi Sheri,
                          >
                          > >I think you can get what you're after by adding to the end of
                          > >the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" clips:
                          > >
                          > >^!MinimizeApp
                          >
                          > But then that would take me out of NoteTab when I do not want to
                          > when clicking on them manually.

                          Put a clip in your Noteback library with nothing but

                          ^!MinimizeApp

                          and another in a different library that has no OnClipboardChange.

                          Use the one in Noteback for shortcut-turn-on purposes (which happens
                          in your OnOpen), and the one in the other library for shortcut-turn-
                          off purposes.

                          > Yes, you are right and it has caused a few problems over the
                          > years (not actually turning OnClipboardChange off, but just
                          > exiting the Clip if I set the variable to tell it to exit when I
                          > want it "off"), but not enough for me to bother with it. <g> I'm
                          > sort of the type of guy that I'm so busy that things that only
                          > cause me very minor annoyances far and few between I don't mess
                          > with changing them until a real need arises. Actually, I run a
                          > number of Clips from the Clipbar that I indeed need to exit the
                          > Library and once it does what it does, normally sending something
                          > to Eudora, I have it switch back into the Library so I can use my
                          > version of NoteBack. I wear out that Library. <bg> It saves me,
                          > gee, 1000 hours a week, month, who knows, but it is lots and lots
                          > and lots.

                          I see that it does. Trouble for me is, I would want to make ad hoc
                          changes in Notetab (with Notetab focused, and not as a result of
                          every clipboard change) and then pasteback <g>