Re: [NTS] Re: [Clip] Use RegExp to change case?

    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2005
      At 06:07 PM 5/7/2005 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hi Daniel,
      >
      >I'm certainly no guru. But am recently leave the basics behind for intermediate and advanced Perl programming things such as: packages, namespaces, references, complex data structures, and perhaps now not too far away on the horizon: Perl Object Oriented programming.

      LOL! I've forgotten everything I'm so out of practice I've forgotten everything I knew.
    • acumming@cwnet.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2005
        On Wed, 11 May 2005 10:40 , Sheri <silvermoonwoman@...> sent:

        >At 06:07 PM 5/7/2005 -0700, you wrote:
        >>Hi Daniel,
        >>
        >>I'm certainly no guru. But am recently leave the basics behind for intermediate
        and advanced Perl programming things such as: packages, namespaces, references,
        complex data structures, and perhaps now not too far away on the horizon: Perl
        Object Oriented programming.

        >LOL! I've forgotten everything I'm so out of practice I've forgotten everything I
        knew.

        Hi! Well it's good to hear your voice on the list once again!

        I'm a couple years behind schedule. But I must be facsinated (sp) with the
        capabilities of Perl: enough familiarity with it then often equates to like "abbra
        cadabbra" sorts of things/capabilities.

        (See next too). But probably what it was doing with the for loop in it is that it
        was just doing one loop then finishing, ie processes all replacements in the first
        loop resulting in it's completed which in turn results in exiting the for loop so
        that therefore the for loop was/is not even needed. Ok, the gurus didn't have time
        to look or else perhaps they would have pointed that out to me.

        The good news is that I'm beginning to catch my own.

        (I'll try to remember to test this when I get on my other machine) A guru would
        know -- but likely could do without the for loop and I think it is so because of
        the g (global option) coupled with the regex operator already does goes through the
        entire string, doing all replacements. For example, to remove the for loop from
        the script:

        for ($text =~ s/(<strong>)(.*?)(<\/strong>)/$1\U$2\E$3/gis) {
        print $text;
        } # end

        So, those 3 lines would then instead become (and more correctly I think too) 2
        lines, thus:

        $text =~ s/(<strong>)(.*?)(<\/strong>)/$1\U$2\E$3/gis);
        print $text; # end

        (The unmodified original is enclosed next):

        H="pl_case_changr"
        ^!RunPerl pl_case_changer

        H="_pl_case_changer"
        #!perl -w
        undef $/; # Enter "file slurp" mode.
        $text = <>; # This file/buffer/selection slurped into the scalar
        for ($text =~ s/(<strong>)(.*?)(<\/strong>)/$1\U$2\E$3/gis) {
        print $text;
        } # end

        Alan.

        ---- Msg sent via CWNet - http://www.cwnet.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2005
          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, <acumming@c...> wrote:
          [ . . ] A guru would
          > know -- but likely could do without the for loop and I think it is
          so because of
          > the g (global option) coupled with the regex operator already does
          goes through the
          > entire string, doing all replacements. For example, to remove the
          for loop from
          > the script:
          >
          > for ($text =~ s/(<strong>)(.*?)(<\/strong>)/$1\U$2\E$3/gis) {
          > print $text;
          > } # end
          >
          > So, those 3 lines would then instead become (and more correctly I
          think too) 2
          > lines, thus:
          >
          > $text =~ s/(<strong>)(.*?)(<\/strong>)/$1\U$2\E$3/gis);
          > print $text; # end

          Oops. I removed the left hand parenthesis but forgot to remove the
          one on the right hand side.

          gis) needs to become gis

          $text =~ s/(<strong>)(.*?)(<\/strong>)/$1\U$2\E$3/gis;

          That's the only change, one ) removed. The above line is corrected.
          Alan.