Re: [NTS] The ANSI 26 character

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000, Sheri wrote:
      > Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

      Try it this way:

      > I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But
      > Win 2k with some differences.

      I am still not convinced. Perl is supposed to be cross platform. We
      are running the same build of Perl under similar platforms.
      Meanwhile don't forget that it also works on 98.

      My Win98 MSVCRT.DLL is version 6.1.8924.0
      In XP it is version is version 7.0.2600.1106

      The only relevant thing I found searching google for msvcrt.dll and
      Perl 5.8 was that if you have Windows 95 you have to download it
      from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/msvcrt.exe, otherwise
      it come with Windows. I noticed that some of my software has private
      copies of various versions of msvcrt.exe.

      I also spotted a warning against installing 5.8 over top of 5.6 and
      some suggestion that you shouldn't have both versions installed. I
      installed 5.6, renamed its folder, then installed 5.8. I just rename
      the folders when I want to use one or the other. The live one needs
      to be in C:\Perl\bin. That worked fine on Windows 98. But having so
      recently installed, I've really only been using 5.8 so far under XP.
      I haven't tried to install any ppm packages yet.

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003

        maybe we'll find out something yet . . .

        The next zip file has 4_Alan.clb inside the zip file with an added clip.

        4_Sheri.zip Your clb now has 3 clips in it. the first two work, the # 3 does not it strips doc.

        It is the # 3 that was working for you but not for me.

        The # 3 still does not work for me.

        If the # 3 works for you then there is something different between your 'puter and mine because that one does not work here.

        I'd read about the installations, thus I had uninstalled 5.8.0 before I installed 5.8.2

        also I restored a previous Ghost image with no Perl at all installed. On the sys with no Perl on it, I installed the Perl 5.8.2 and i get the exact same result, # 3 clip does not work here.

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
          Well, guess what?

          Nbr 3 doesn't work here either!

          Haven't studied it yet, no obvious explanation, but if I discover
          something I'll let you know.

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
            Got it!

            Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
            5.006.

            I'm guessing that your Yahoo option is to display messages as HTML
            and somehow the conversion did that. I have mine set to plain text.
            Either that or your email program did it, depending on where you
            copied the script to your clipboard for pasting to NoteTab in the
            first place.

            Its easy to miss even with NoteTab displaying non-printing
            characters. You'll notice now that that particular space doesn't
            have a little dot in it. :)

            Change it to a real space and it will work.

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
              On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:38:00 -0000, Sheri wrote:
              > Got it!
              >
              > Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
              > 5.006.

              Sure enough. It had a space appearing space but upon closer examination the dot wasn't there with the non-printing turned on.

              That why I began to think it elsewhere, not the file. I went over and over that file.

              But you found it.

              Solved.