Re: [NTS] The ANSI 26 character

  • Piotr Bieńkowski
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
      W dniu Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:59:45 -0000
      "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> napisal(a):

      > Hi Piotr! Yes, yours works fine <g>
      >
      > Are you also on the clips list?

      Yes, I thinnk I'm on almost all Notetab-related lists, maybe with the exception of the basic list and next-release list.

      Piotr
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003

        http://tinyurl.com/36lnb

        > If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
        > what <g>

        Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

        I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But Win 2k with some differences.

        I think it has to do with that mscvrt.dll file that Perl uses on Win 32. The dll on this Win 2k SP4 is bound to be different than XP's

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000, Sheri wrote:
          > Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

          Try it this way:

          > I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But
          > Win 2k with some differences.

          I am still not convinced. Perl is supposed to be cross platform. We
          are running the same build of Perl under similar platforms.
          Meanwhile don't forget that it also works on 98.

          My Win98 MSVCRT.DLL is version 6.1.8924.0
          In XP it is version is version 7.0.2600.1106

          The only relevant thing I found searching google for msvcrt.dll and
          Perl 5.8 was that if you have Windows 95 you have to download it
          from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/msvcrt.exe, otherwise
          it come with Windows. I noticed that some of my software has private
          copies of various versions of msvcrt.exe.

          I also spotted a warning against installing 5.8 over top of 5.6 and
          some suggestion that you shouldn't have both versions installed. I
          installed 5.6, renamed its folder, then installed 5.8. I just rename
          the folders when I want to use one or the other. The live one needs
          to be in C:\Perl\bin. That worked fine on Windows 98. But having so
          recently installed, I've really only been using 5.8 so far under XP.
          I haven't tried to install any ppm packages yet.

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
            Hi Sheri,

            maybe we'll find out something yet . . .

            The next zip file has 4_Alan.clb inside the zip file with an added clip.

            4_Sheri.zip Your clb now has 3 clips in it. the first two work, the # 3 does not it strips doc.

            It is the # 3 that was working for you but not for me.

            The # 3 still does not work for me.

            If the # 3 works for you then there is something different between your 'puter and mine because that one does not work here.

            I'd read about the installations, thus I had uninstalled 5.8.0 before I installed 5.8.2

            also I restored a previous Ghost image with no Perl at all installed. On the sys with no Perl on it, I installed the Perl 5.8.2 and i get the exact same result, # 3 clip does not work here.

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
              Well, guess what?

              Nbr 3 doesn't work here either!

              Haven't studied it yet, no obvious explanation, but if I discover
              something I'll let you know.

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                Got it!

                Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
                5.006.

                I'm guessing that your Yahoo option is to display messages as HTML
                and somehow the conversion did that. I have mine set to plain text.
                Either that or your email program did it, depending on where you
                copied the script to your clipboard for pasting to NoteTab in the
                first place.

                Its easy to miss even with NoteTab displaying non-printing
                characters. You'll notice now that that particular space doesn't
                have a little dot in it. :)

                Change it to a real space and it will work.

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                  On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:38:00 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                  > Got it!
                  >
                  > Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
                  > 5.006.

                  Sure enough. It had a space appearing space but upon closer examination the dot wasn't there with the non-printing turned on.

                  That why I began to think it elsewhere, not the file. I went over and over that file.

                  But you found it.

                  Solved.