Re: [NTS] The ANSI 26 character

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 22, 2003
      Hi Alan,

      Do you have nonprinting characters showing in your NTP? I'm thinking
      maybe something that looks like a space but isn't one got into your
      script either on or near that line?

      Try this script:

      print "Current Perl Version is ", $], "\n";
      if ($] > 5.006) {
      print "it's greater than 5.006\n";
      }
      else {
      print "it wasn't greater than 5.006";
      }
      #end
      #

      Remember that the document displayed in notetab when launched can't
      be an empty doc

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 22, 2003
        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Alan,

        There are no spaces. Ntab matters spaces, Perl doesn't, Perl could
        care less.

        The two if lines with 5.006 match.

        print "Current Perl Version is ", $], "\n";
        if ($] > 5.006) {
        print "it's greater than 5.006\n";
        }
        else {
        print "it wasn't greater than 5.006";
        }

        the above works. the next works until the line with 5.006 gets
        activated then it runs but strips doc so doc is empty. At this point
        I'm going to assume it has to do with the context of nearby stuff
        such as the input operator into array @in or etc. since nearby stuff
        is the only difference that exists between these two scripts herein.
        the two use lines on or off doesn't make any difference in the
        result. And I've now 5.8.2 build 807 or whatever the latest is and
        that also makes no difference (previously had 5.8.0 something ver.)

        #!/perl/bin/perl -w
        #use strict;
        #use warnings;
        my (@in, $badchar, $item);
        my $count = 0;
        my $total = 0;
        my $tst = 'affirm';
        @in = <>;
        #if ($] > 5.006) {
        if ($tst eq 'affirm') {
        $badchar = chr(26);
        $count = @in;
        $in[$count - 1] =~ s/($badchar)$//;
        }

        print "This way (using while) needs new lines\n";
        print "(not sure why\? could just add \\n's)\n";

        while (<@in>) {
        $item = $_;
        print $item;
        $total = $total + $_;
        }
        print "--------\n";
        print $total;
        print "\n-----------\n";

        $total = 0;

        print "This way (using foreach) doesn't need new lines\n";
        foreach (@in) {
        $item = $_;
        print $item;
        $total = $total + $_;
        }
        print "--------\n";
        print $total;
        print "\n-----------\n";
        #end
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
          Hi Alan,

          Last try -- I posted a test clb library file with two clips in it
          that work fine for me.

          http://tinyurl.com/36lnb

          If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
          what <g>

        • Piotr Bieńkowski
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
            W dniu Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000
            "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> napisal(a):

            > Hi Alan,
            >
            > Last try -- I posted a test clb library file with two clips in it
            > that work fine for me.
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/36lnb
            >
            > If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
            > what <g>

            I started this thread :) , so here's my bit:

            I tested both clips and this is what I get from Perl figures 1

            Current Perl Version is 5.008002
            it's greater than 5.006

            This way (using while) needs new lines
            (not sure why? could just add \n's)
            102030--------
            60
            -----------
            This way (using foreach) doesn't need new lines
            10
            20
            30
            --------
            60

            10
            20
            30
            --------
            60

            Regards,

            Piotr
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
              --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Bieñkowski <syntax@n...>
              wrote:

              Hi Piotr! Yes, yours works fine <g>

              Are you also on the clips list? I posted a new clip/script package
              for Notetab document history that uses Perl. Give it a whirl when
              you get a chance. In that package I circumvent the box character
              after the fact in Notetab clips. Such as I have Perl sorting and
              printing back to Notetab, the box character ends up as the first
              character in the document.

              ^!If ^$ChartoDec(^$StrIndex("^$GetText$";1)$)$=26 Next Else Skip_1
              ^!InsertText ^$StrDeleteLeft("^$GetText$";1)$

            • Piotr Bieńkowski
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                W dniu Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:59:45 -0000
                "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> napisal(a):

                > Hi Piotr! Yes, yours works fine <g>
                >
                > Are you also on the clips list?

                Yes, I thinnk I'm on almost all Notetab-related lists, maybe with the exception of the basic list and next-release list.

                Piotr
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                  On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                  > Hi Alan,
                  >
                  > Last try -- I posted a test clb library file with two clips in it
                  > that work fine for me.

                  http://tinyurl.com/36lnb

                  > If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
                  > what <g>

                  Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

                  I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But Win 2k with some differences.

                  I think it has to do with that mscvrt.dll file that Perl uses on Win 32. The dll on this Win 2k SP4 is bound to be different than XP's

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                    --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:
                    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                    > Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

                    Try it this way:

                    > I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But
                    > Win 2k with some differences.

                    I am still not convinced. Perl is supposed to be cross platform. We
                    are running the same build of Perl under similar platforms.
                    Meanwhile don't forget that it also works on 98.

                    My Win98 MSVCRT.DLL is version 6.1.8924.0
                    In XP it is version is version 7.0.2600.1106

                    The only relevant thing I found searching google for msvcrt.dll and
                    Perl 5.8 was that if you have Windows 95 you have to download it
                    from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/msvcrt.exe, otherwise
                    it come with Windows. I noticed that some of my software has private
                    copies of various versions of msvcrt.exe.

                    I also spotted a warning against installing 5.8 over top of 5.6 and
                    some suggestion that you shouldn't have both versions installed. I
                    installed 5.6, renamed its folder, then installed 5.8. I just rename
                    the folders when I want to use one or the other. The live one needs
                    to be in C:\Perl\bin. That worked fine on Windows 98. But having so
                    recently installed, I've really only been using 5.8 so far under XP.
                    I haven't tried to install any ppm packages yet.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003

                      maybe we'll find out something yet . . .

                      The next zip file has 4_Alan.clb inside the zip file with an added clip.

                      4_Sheri.zip Your clb now has 3 clips in it. the first two work, the # 3 does not it strips doc.

                      It is the # 3 that was working for you but not for me.

                      The # 3 still does not work for me.

                      If the # 3 works for you then there is something different between your 'puter and mine because that one does not work here.

                      I'd read about the installations, thus I had uninstalled 5.8.0 before I installed 5.8.2

                      also I restored a previous Ghost image with no Perl at all installed. On the sys with no Perl on it, I installed the Perl 5.8.2 and i get the exact same result, # 3 clip does not work here.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                        Well, guess what?

                        Nbr 3 doesn't work here either!

                        Haven't studied it yet, no obvious explanation, but if I discover
                        something I'll let you know.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                          Got it!

                          Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
                          5.006.

                          I'm guessing that your Yahoo option is to display messages as HTML
                          and somehow the conversion did that. I have mine set to plain text.
                          Either that or your email program did it, depending on where you
                          copied the script to your clipboard for pasting to NoteTab in the
                          first place.

                          Its easy to miss even with NoteTab displaying non-printing
                          characters. You'll notice now that that particular space doesn't
                          have a little dot in it. :)

                          Change it to a real space and it will work.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                            On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:38:00 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                            > Got it!
                            >
                            > Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
                            > 5.006.

                            Sure enough. It had a space appearing space but upon closer examination the dot wasn't there with the non-printing turned on.

                            That why I began to think it elsewhere, not the file. I went over and over that file.

                            But you found it.

                            Solved.