Re: [NTS] The ANSI 26 character

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 19, 2003
      On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:24:19 +0100, Piotr Bieńkowski wrote:
      > Hi again,
      >
      > Has anybody figured out how to write scipts for Perl 5.8.0 so that the "code 26" character (which shows as a box in NoteTab) does not appear?

      A few months ago I went and queried on some Perl newsgroup if there be a commandline switch or anything to stop it from happening. But no. Evidently it is not Perl but it is a NoteTab specific thing (whilst piping from Ntab back and forth to Perl etc.).

      Sheri's. But I just now couldn't get her's to work with Activestate Perl 5.81 build 807 on Win 2k SP4

      that control char seem to Ntab inroduces it into Ntab at point just after the last } of Perl script

      how the actual script appears for me in Ntab:
      http://users.cwnet.com/acummi/temp/pl_char.gif

      3 clips next fix it here for me. And also, see further below for needed alteration instructions and for an alternate to these next three clips.

      H="pl_pltst"
      ^!RunPerl pl_tst
      ^!RunPerl pl_tst2

      H="_pl_tst"

      while (<>) {
      $item = $_;
      print $item;
      # $total = $total + $_;
      $total = $total + $item;
      }
      print "--------\n";
      print $total;

      H="_pl_tst2"

      while (<>) {
      s/\26//;
      print ;
      }
      #---end

      that control char do not show up in my email client. so, a few lines right above here where the #---end is there you'll see 26

      the box (control char) from Ntab when copied and pasted so that in script the box shows in place of where the 26 is above (replace 26 above with the actual box char itself). That worked for me. But keep in mind it's its own separate script that goes over the doc and deletes any and all those box (control) character(s). OR,

      instead of that separate Perl script, in your original script to add (the one s/ line):

      print $item;
      # $total = $total + $_;
      $total = $total + $item;
      }
      s/\26//;
      print "--------\n";
      print $total;
      #---

      since that is precisely where Ntab introduces that control char into doc. once again the 26 above need be replaced with the actual box char itself copied and pasted from Ntab.

      either those above two works here.
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 19, 2003
        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:

        > Sheri's. But I just now couldn't get her's to work with
        Activestate Perl 5.81 build 807 on Win 2k SP4

        Try it this way:

        while (<>) {
        if (eof && $] > 5.006) {
        $badchar = chr(26);
        s/($badchar)$//;
        }
        $item = $_;
        print $item;
        $total = $total + $_;
        }
        print "--------\n";
        print $total;
        #end

        It works for me; in order to test to it, I had to install Perl in my
        new XP environment. I installed the latest ActiveState Perl which at
        the moment is 5.8.2 Build 808.

        Then I had to get NoteTab working.

        <g>

        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 20, 2003
          Here's another way of dealing with the chr(26), but it requires the
          input to be read into a new array. It takes the chr(26) out of the
          bad record in the array. Then the array can be processed with
          a "while" or a "foreach". But curiously I found that when I
          used "while" the printed $item lines did not include new lines,
          whereas the same code inside a "foreach" did. It is demonstrated
          below. The input notetab doc should have a column of figures, and
          there should be a clip using ^!RunPerl to execute the script.

          Sheri

          use strict;
          use warnings;
          my (@in, $badchar, $item);
          my $count = 0;
          my $total = 0;
          @in = <>;
          if ($] > 5.006) {
          $badchar = chr(26);
          $count = @in;
          $in[$count - 1] =~ s/($badchar)$//;
          }

          print "This way (using while) needs new lines\n";
          print "(not sure why\? could just add \\n's)\n";

          while (<@in>) {
          $item = $_;
          print $item;
          $total = $total + $_;
          }
          print "--------\n";
          print $total;
          print "\n-----------\n";

          $total = 0;

          print "This way (using foreach) doesn't need new lines\n";
          foreach (@in) {
          $item = $_;
          print $item;
          $total = $total + $_;
          }
          print "--------\n";
          print $total;
          print "\n-----------\n";
          #end
        • Piotr Bieńkowski
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 20, 2003
            W dniu Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:30:23 -0000
            "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> napisal(a):

            > Here's another way of dealing with the chr(26),

            Thanks Sheri, I learned new ways of doing old tricks :)

            Piotr
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 20, 2003
              On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:30:23 -0000, Sheri wrote:
              > Here's another way of dealing with the chr(26), but it requires the
              > input to be read into a new array. It takes the chr(26) out of the
              > bad record in the array. Then the array can be processed with
              > a "while" or a "foreach". But curiously I found that when I
              > used "while" the printed $item lines did not include new lines,
              > whereas the same code inside a "foreach" did. It is demonstrated
              > below. The input notetab doc should have a column of figures, and
              > there should be a clip using ^!RunPerl to execute the script.
              [ . clips - see earlier post for them . ]

              Hi Sheri,

              it's common on say newsgroups of

              perl.beginners

              comp.lang.perl.misc

              both of those two

              and it might sometimes also show up in PBML

              which is yahoo groups perl beginners mailing list (next door neighbor, eh?)

              as far as something about a difference when printing an array the entire array (I know you were printing lines, not the entire array)

              when in the print line you either use double quotes around the array versus not using the double quotes

              Oops that had to do with spaces, not new lines! I got this far along before I remembered that. My memory really getting to be something.

              item1
              item2
              item3

              versus

              item1
              item2
              item3

              Why does my first line print offset to the right. That's the sort of question that so common is repeated which be pertinent to further above.

              I don't know why one print with while the other print without line breakers.
              --

              Your scripts wouldn't work here. given in a doc:

              111
              444
              222

              all it did was empty the doc. an menu undo brought the numbers back.

              don't know why -- perhaps there's enough difference between Win 2k (here) and Win XP

              also your other previous one still wouldn't work here, did same thing.

              i've got the issue covered for myself as per:

              http://users.cwnet.com/acummi/temp/pl_char.gif

              But I was just to tinker tried yours and for whatever reason the doc got emptied was the result.

              Haven't a clue why they'd run on yours and not mine. Oh, they run here -- but they just empty the doc.

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 20, 2003
                Hi All,

                FWIW the 5.6.x versions of Activestate Perl did not get the box character into Ntab like the 5.8.x versions do.

                Pl 5.8 supports Unicode (if I've got the name of it correct). Isn't this support there a lot of requests for it in Ntab 5?

                There was a sizeable difference between Pl 5.6 and 5.8 as far as that Unicode support. 5.6 may not have supported it or else very significantly less so.

                The box char I think is considered a control char. Thus it needed to be escaped in my regex substitution.

                A few months back I went looking to see if I could find a command line switch for 5.8 that would turn off the Unicode.

                Turned up nothing though.

                Just in attempt to experiment, see if that stop the box char.

              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 20, 2003
                  Alan C. wrote:
                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > FWIW the 5.6.x versions of Activestate Perl did not get the box
                  > character into Ntab like the 5.8.x versions do.
                  >
                  > Pl 5.8 supports Unicode (if I've got the name of it correct). Isn't
                  > this support there a lot of requests for it in Ntab 5?

                  NoteTab has the ability to open Unicode files. I asked for this about a year
                  ago because one of the genealogy programs I use, exports to Unicode by
                  default. It just appends three characters at the beginning of the file, and
                  would crash NoteTab. Notepad in Windows 2k & higher can handle Unicode, not
                  sure if it is full support or not.

                  Full Unicode support is slated for NoteTab 5.x.

                  Larry
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 21, 2003
                    Hi Alan,

                    Thanks for posting your experience, was wondering if you'd tried it.

                    --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:

                    > But I was just to tinker tried yours and for whatever reason the
                    doc got emptied was the result.

                    > Haven't a clue why they'd run on yours and not mine. Oh, they run
                    here -- but they just empty the doc.

                    That sounds really strange Alan, unless you had a missing semicolon
                    or something. I just cut and pasted from my prior email to a new
                    notetab file and ran your
                    111
                    444
                    222

                    (incl new line after the 222)
                    and the output is shown after the end of this message.

                    Is the StdError.err have a clue or is it missing as well? The posted
                    script of mine that included use strict and use warnings does give a
                    warning in Stderror.err for me, looks like this:

                    Argument "" isn't numeric in addition (+) at D:\PROGRA~1\NOTETA~2
                    \Scripts\figures3.pl line 31, <> line 4.

                    My memory is failing badly too, but there was a reason I used the chr
                    (26) instead of escaping the box character. I think it was not just
                    because it wouldn't show up on Yahoo or in email. The character as I
                    recall, is the same as a Ctrl+Z, which in Dos/Windows has always
                    meant "end of file". So if you substituted the actual character
                    (even escaped) in your script, it could lead to unexpected results
                    if your command interpreter redefines it to mean "end of file" <g>

                    Sheri

                    Output of script using the data above:

                    This way (using while) needs new lines
                    (not sure why? could just add \n's)
                    111444222--------
                    777
                    -----------
                    This way (using foreach) doesn't need new lines
                    111
                    444
                    222
                    --------
                    777
                    -----------
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 21, 2003
                      On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:17:09 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                      > Hi Alan,

                      [ . . ]

                      >> Haven't a clue why they'd run on yours and not mine. Oh, they run
                      > here -- but they just empty the doc.
                      >>

                      > That sounds really strange Alan, unless you had a missing semicolon
                      > or something. I just cut and pasted from my prior email to a new
                      > notetab file and ran your
                      > 111
                      > 444
                      > 222
                      >
                      > (incl new line after the 222)
                      > and the output is shown after the end of this message.
                      >
                      > Is the StdError.err have a clue or is it missing as well? The posted
                      > script of mine that included use strict and use warnings does give a
                      > warning in Stderror.err for me, looks like this:
                      >
                      > Argument "" isn't numeric in addition (+) at D:\PROGRA~1\NOTETA~2
                      > \Scripts\figures3.pl line 31, <> line 4.

                      by the path it appears you are running it in a way other than what i
                      am.

                      generally i run it (from within a clip library) like the perl script
                      in samplecode library does.

                      if ($] > 5.006) {

                      that's line 7

                      Unrecognized character \xA0 at D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1
                      \Temp\efo2.tmp line 7.

                      and that's a stderror.err but I don't know if it's for this or a
                      different script that i had run. that stderr file self deleted
                      somehow and right now i cannot get your script to produce a stderr
                      file

                      inconsistencies at this time surrounding the stderr file. and i
                      didn't delete it using clipcode or by any other means. i thought it
                      normally just stayed there on disk until i delete it. but not so,
                      not at this time here.

                      no semi colons missing

                      ;^!RunPerl C:\files\docs\addcol.pl
                      ^!RunPerl pl_tst

                      either of those 2 ways i ran it did same as i reported via former
                      post, strips doc

                      using box char i haven't had a problem with misinterpretation as "end
                      of doc"

                      my substitution using escaped box char been working fine here

                      i suspect perhaps it has more to do with it is perl ie the perl
                      interpreter is the running app or process that is scanning the doc
                      using a regex to do so. and, escaped reverts the item from a control
                      character to literal. IOW the escaspe tells perl to look for a
                      literal box char, not a box char that is a control character.

                      I'm not trying to devalue your achievement, not at all, not in any
                      way. I do value your contributions and achievements. Your method
                      likely is a more formal and informed approach whereas I just
                      mechanically experimented until something worked for me. I'm only
                      sharing what occurs to me on the matter (that 1 and 1/2 cent thing)
                      as well as what happens here.

                      Still a mystery to me why yours acts the way it does here.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 21, 2003
                        Hi Alan,

                        The StdError.err file gets deleted when you start running a Perl script. So if you have it loaded in a document buffer, you have to reload it to see if the current run left any messages.

                        The fact that it didn't leave the compile messages makes me think that it didn't run the script, didn't even get to the point of compiling it. It is hard to imagine that it has anything to do with Windows 2000, because I just rebooted my old Windows 98 and tried my code under both Perl 5.6.x and Perl 5.8.0 Build 805. Also tried it substituting escaped box character copied and pasted from an output. All ran fine. All gave the same warning message previously posted. When I used the box character I got two such warning messages and one of them said that "^Z" was not numeric within the line range two. Said it just like that "^Z" in quotes and everything.

                        In addition, I ran them as you say you usually do, from inside a clip doc. All variations worked there too. I'm using NTP 4.95 and you probably are as well.

                        I really doubt that its Windows 2000, but I guess unless someone else has it and can test, we may never know <g>. I doubt it is that particular build of Perl, since my (even earlier) one runs it under Windows 98.

                        I have from time to time had clip documents go bad, with too many or not enough new lines or spaces after the clip header or at the bottom of the document. And the only clue was something was wrong was that sometimes clips I knew should work, didn't. Scared me into thinking I might have a virus once! But since it also doesn't work when running from a .Pl file, that's unlikely (unless the notetab clip that launches ^!runperl is in a bum clip doc).

                        Tis a mystery. I would never have thought you were knocking my solution so no need to have said that.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 21, 2003
                          On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:17:30 -0500, Sheri wrote:
                          > Hi Alan,
                          Hi,

                          Got it running here! Notice next my get_around (for some unknown to me reason, my 'puter didn't like your line with 5.006 in it). It appears i guess that's your version check. Runs fine with that bypassed like next.

                          my $count = 0;
                          my $total = 0;
                          my $tst = 'affirm';
                          @in = <>;
                          #if ($] >�5.006) {
                          if ($tst eq 'affirm') {
                          $badchar = chr(26);

                          i went to trying it in a different text editor, not Notetab. before i disconnected that mentioned line, here's the error i consistently got:

                          Unrecognized character \xA0 at c:\files\docs\addcol.pl line 8.

                          line 8 being that line above that i spoke of. with the get_around in vogue, no error, runs fine.

                          BTW this other editor does not induce the box char into. thus is no need to rid it of something that does not get into in the first place. And the error ouput has greater consistency.

                          i tinkered with the while but found nothing as far as the \n's go.

                          Perl has so much depth, I dunno if I'll ever learn it. but i'm not a giver upper. tortoise sometimes can win 'specially if the Wabbit gets careless!

                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 22, 2003
                            Hi Alan,

                            Do you have nonprinting characters showing in your NTP? I'm thinking
                            maybe something that looks like a space but isn't one got into your
                            script either on or near that line?

                            Try this script:

                            print "Current Perl Version is ", $], "\n";
                            if ($] > 5.006) {
                            print "it's greater than 5.006\n";
                            }
                            else {
                            print "it wasn't greater than 5.006";
                            }
                            #end
                            #

                            Remember that the document displayed in notetab when launched can't
                            be an empty doc

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 22, 2003
                              --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@c...>
                              wrote:
                              > Hi Alan,

                              There are no spaces. Ntab matters spaces, Perl doesn't, Perl could
                              care less.

                              The two if lines with 5.006 match.

                              print "Current Perl Version is ", $], "\n";
                              if ($] > 5.006) {
                              print "it's greater than 5.006\n";
                              }
                              else {
                              print "it wasn't greater than 5.006";
                              }

                              the above works. the next works until the line with 5.006 gets
                              activated then it runs but strips doc so doc is empty. At this point
                              I'm going to assume it has to do with the context of nearby stuff
                              such as the input operator into array @in or etc. since nearby stuff
                              is the only difference that exists between these two scripts herein.
                              the two use lines on or off doesn't make any difference in the
                              result. And I've now 5.8.2 build 807 or whatever the latest is and
                              that also makes no difference (previously had 5.8.0 something ver.)

                              #!/perl/bin/perl -w
                              #use strict;
                              #use warnings;
                              my (@in, $badchar, $item);
                              my $count = 0;
                              my $total = 0;
                              my $tst = 'affirm';
                              @in = <>;
                              #if ($] > 5.006) {
                              if ($tst eq 'affirm') {
                              $badchar = chr(26);
                              $count = @in;
                              $in[$count - 1] =~ s/($badchar)$//;
                              }

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                Hi Alan,

                                Last try -- I posted a test clb library file with two clips in it
                                that work fine for me.

                                http://tinyurl.com/36lnb

                                If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
                                what <g>

                              • Piotr Bieńkowski
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                  W dniu Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000
                                  "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> napisal(a):

                                  > Hi Alan,
                                  >
                                  > Last try -- I posted a test clb library file with two clips in it
                                  > that work fine for me.
                                  >
                                  > http://tinyurl.com/36lnb
                                  >
                                  > If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
                                  > what <g>

                                  I started this thread :) , so here's my bit:

                                  I tested both clips and this is what I get from Perl figures 1

                                  Current Perl Version is 5.008002
                                  it's greater than 5.006

                                  This way (using while) needs new lines
                                  (not sure why? could just add \n's)
                                  102030--------
                                  60
                                  -----------
                                  This way (using foreach) doesn't need new lines
                                  10
                                  20
                                  30
                                  --------
                                  60

                                  10
                                  20
                                  30
                                  --------
                                  60

                                  Regards,

                                  Piotr
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                    --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Bieñkowski <syntax@n...>
                                    wrote:

                                    Hi Piotr! Yes, yours works fine <g>

                                    Are you also on the clips list? I posted a new clip/script package
                                    for Notetab document history that uses Perl. Give it a whirl when
                                    you get a chance. In that package I circumvent the box character
                                    after the fact in Notetab clips. Such as I have Perl sorting and
                                    printing back to Notetab, the box character ends up as the first
                                    character in the document.

                                    ^!If ^$ChartoDec(^$StrIndex("^$GetText$";1)$)$=26 Next Else Skip_1
                                    ^!InsertText ^$StrDeleteLeft("^$GetText$";1)$

                                  • Piotr Bieńkowski
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                      W dniu Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:59:45 -0000
                                      "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> napisal(a):

                                      > Hi Piotr! Yes, yours works fine <g>
                                      >
                                      > Are you also on the clips list?

                                      Yes, I thinnk I'm on almost all Notetab-related lists, maybe with the exception of the basic list and next-release list.

                                      Piotr
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                        On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                                        > Hi Alan,
                                        >
                                        > Last try -- I posted a test clb library file with two clips in it
                                        > that work fine for me.

                                        http://tinyurl.com/36lnb

                                        > If they work, it must be something about your files. I have no idea
                                        > what <g>

                                        Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

                                        I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But Win 2k with some differences.

                                        I think it has to do with that mscvrt.dll file that Perl uses on Win 32. The dll on this Win 2k SP4 is bound to be different than XP's

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:
                                          > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:49:28 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                                          > Your url doesn't work for me at this time.

                                          Try it this way:

                                          > I've already ruled out the files. Obviously works on Win XP. But
                                          > Win 2k with some differences.

                                          I am still not convinced. Perl is supposed to be cross platform. We
                                          are running the same build of Perl under similar platforms.
                                          Meanwhile don't forget that it also works on 98.

                                          My Win98 MSVCRT.DLL is version 6.1.8924.0
                                          In XP it is version is version 7.0.2600.1106

                                          The only relevant thing I found searching google for msvcrt.dll and
                                          Perl 5.8 was that if you have Windows 95 you have to download it
                                          from ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/msvcrt.exe, otherwise
                                          it come with Windows. I noticed that some of my software has private
                                          copies of various versions of msvcrt.exe.

                                          I also spotted a warning against installing 5.8 over top of 5.6 and
                                          some suggestion that you shouldn't have both versions installed. I
                                          installed 5.6, renamed its folder, then installed 5.8. I just rename
                                          the folders when I want to use one or the other. The live one needs
                                          to be in C:\Perl\bin. That worked fine on Windows 98. But having so
                                          recently installed, I've really only been using 5.8 so far under XP.
                                          I haven't tried to install any ppm packages yet.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003

                                            maybe we'll find out something yet . . .

                                            The next zip file has 4_Alan.clb inside the zip file with an added clip.

                                            4_Sheri.zip Your clb now has 3 clips in it. the first two work, the # 3 does not it strips doc.

                                            It is the # 3 that was working for you but not for me.

                                            The # 3 still does not work for me.

                                            If the # 3 works for you then there is something different between your 'puter and mine because that one does not work here.

                                            I'd read about the installations, thus I had uninstalled 5.8.0 before I installed 5.8.2

                                            also I restored a previous Ghost image with no Perl at all installed. On the sys with no Perl on it, I installed the Perl 5.8.2 and i get the exact same result, # 3 clip does not work here.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                              Well, guess what?

                                              Nbr 3 doesn't work here either!

                                              Haven't studied it yet, no obvious explanation, but if I discover
                                              something I'll let you know.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                                Got it!

                                                Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
                                                5.006.

                                                I'm guessing that your Yahoo option is to display messages as HTML
                                                and somehow the conversion did that. I have mine set to plain text.
                                                Either that or your email program did it, depending on where you
                                                copied the script to your clipboard for pasting to NoteTab in the
                                                first place.

                                                Its easy to miss even with NoteTab displaying non-printing
                                                characters. You'll notice now that that particular space doesn't
                                                have a little dot in it. :)

                                                Change it to a real space and it will work.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 23, 2003
                                                  On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:38:00 -0000, Sheri wrote:
                                                  > Got it!
                                                  >
                                                  > Your version has a non-breaking space (character 160) in front of
                                                  > 5.006.

                                                  Sure enough. It had a space appearing space but upon closer examination the dot wasn't there with the non-printing turned on.

                                                  That why I began to think it elsewhere, not the file. I went over and over that file.

                                                  But you found it.

                                                  Solved.