Re: [NTS] Where does the standard error file go?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2003
      NoteTab Pro 4.95, with ActiveState Perl 5.8.1. build 807, under Win 2K
      SP4

      On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:13:34 +0100, Piotr Bie�kowski wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I use Perl scripts in NoteTab Pro 4.95, with Perl 5.8.0., under Win
      XP Home Ed.

      [ it worked with earlier versions of O.S. and softwares . . But ]

      >Now there's something wrong with my script, but I can't find the
      >file with the error message on the whole disk.

      H="run_pl_joinlines3"
      ^!RunPerl pl_joinlines3

      H="_pl_joinlines3"
      #!/perl/bin/perl -w
      my $last = one;

      while (<>)
      {
      # next unless defined $last;
      chomp $last unless /^\./;
      # print "$last";
      print "$ibrokeit";
      $last = $_;

      }

      print $last;
      #end of two clips

      the above two clips as is made a stderror.err file in my Ntab exe
      folder here the content of that same stderror.err (notice about its
      third line the part of: "Name "main::ibrokeit" used only once")

      Unquoted string "one" may clash with future reserved word at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 2.
      Name "main::ibrokeit" used only once: possible typo at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 1.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 2.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 3.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 4.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 5.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 6.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 7.
      Use of uninitialized value in string at
      D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 8.
      --

      i broke one of the clips so it would error. to fix so it does not
      error, change two lines thus:

      # print "$last";
      print "$ibrokeit";

      make it

      print "$last";
      # print "$ibrokeit";

      then it will run ok and what it does is to the lines you have in a doc
      it joins them. no beforehand selection make it do entire doc but if a
      selection first then run it make it join lines only within the
      selected area, not the entire doc.

      I'm unaware if the -w (warnings) switch in the shebang line as well as
      pragma of

      use strict;

      (the better Perl programming they say mostly of the time to use both
      of those two, that switch AND that pragma) why they say so? because
      it Forces better programming, can't run sloppily written (sometimes
      dangerous) scripts without error or warning messages popping up.

      i'm unaware if either of these mentioned two items interact or have
      impact on topic of stderror.err & Ntab

      but U can notice that I've the -w in clip above and what the outcome
      is here for me.

      if your travels reveal/discover more than what i have here, please
      share it -- i like to learn more. Thanks.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Bieñkowski <syntax@n...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I use Perl scripts in NoteTab Pro 4.95, with Perl 5.8.0., under
        Win XP Home Ed.

        > When I was using Perl scipts in ealier versions of NoteTab Pro,
        and with an earlier version of Perl, under Windows 95, if my script
        was wrong, there a file was written with the error message to the
        folder where notepro.exe is located. Now there's something wrong
        with my script, but I can't find the file with the error message on
        the whole disk.

        > Any pointers will be appreciated. :)
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Piotr

        I had forgotten this, maybe it was affecting you. There has to be at
        least one character in the active NoteTab document buffer when you
        trigger the clip that runs Perl, e.g. with !RunPerl whatever.pl

        Lacking that, the script fails and gives no error file.

        Sheri
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
          I often test clip syntax using Wayne's Note Awk Library clip for perl
          syntax. I now write all of my scripts in taint mode, but the -T kills
          the error reporting via that clip.