Where does the standard error file go?

  • Piotr Bieńkowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2003
      Hi all,

      I use Perl scripts in NoteTab Pro 4.95, with Perl 5.8.0., under Win XP Home Ed.

      When I was using Perl scipts in ealier versions of NoteTab Pro, and with an earlier version of Perl, under Windows 95, if my script was wrong, there a file was written with the error message to the folder where notepro.exe is located. Now there's something wrong with my script, but I can't find the file with the error message on the whole disk.

      Any pointers will be appreciated. :)

      Regards,

      Piotr
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2003
        NoteTab Pro 4.95, with ActiveState Perl 5.8.1. build 807, under Win 2K
        SP4

        On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:13:34 +0100, Piotr Bie�kowski wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I use Perl scripts in NoteTab Pro 4.95, with Perl 5.8.0., under Win
        XP Home Ed.

        [ it worked with earlier versions of O.S. and softwares . . But ]

        >Now there's something wrong with my script, but I can't find the
        >file with the error message on the whole disk.

        H="run_pl_joinlines3"
        ^!RunPerl pl_joinlines3

        H="_pl_joinlines3"
        #!/perl/bin/perl -w
        my $last = one;

        while (<>)
        {
        # next unless defined $last;
        chomp $last unless /^\./;
        # print "$last";
        print "$ibrokeit";
        $last = $_;

        }

        print $last;
        #end of two clips

        the above two clips as is made a stderror.err file in my Ntab exe
        folder here the content of that same stderror.err (notice about its
        third line the part of: "Name "main::ibrokeit" used only once")

        Unquoted string "one" may clash with future reserved word at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 2.
        Name "main::ibrokeit" used only once: possible typo at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 1.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 2.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 3.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 4.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 5.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 6.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 7.
        Use of uninitialized value in string at
        D:\DOCUME~1\fb11_s\LOCALS~1\Temp\efo79.tmp line 9, <> line 8.
        --

        i broke one of the clips so it would error. to fix so it does not
        error, change two lines thus:

        # print "$last";
        print "$ibrokeit";

        make it

        print "$last";
        # print "$ibrokeit";

        then it will run ok and what it does is to the lines you have in a doc
        it joins them. no beforehand selection make it do entire doc but if a
        selection first then run it make it join lines only within the
        selected area, not the entire doc.

        I'm unaware if the -w (warnings) switch in the shebang line as well as
        pragma of

        use strict;

        (the better Perl programming they say mostly of the time to use both
        of those two, that switch AND that pragma) why they say so? because
        it Forces better programming, can't run sloppily written (sometimes
        dangerous) scripts without error or warning messages popping up.

        i'm unaware if either of these mentioned two items interact or have
        impact on topic of stderror.err & Ntab

        but U can notice that I've the -w in clip above and what the outcome
        is here for me.

        if your travels reveal/discover more than what i have here, please
        share it -- i like to learn more. Thanks.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
          --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Bieñkowski <syntax@n...>
          wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > I use Perl scripts in NoteTab Pro 4.95, with Perl 5.8.0., under
          Win XP Home Ed.

          > When I was using Perl scipts in ealier versions of NoteTab Pro,
          and with an earlier version of Perl, under Windows 95, if my script
          was wrong, there a file was written with the error message to the
          folder where notepro.exe is located. Now there's something wrong
          with my script, but I can't find the file with the error message on
          the whole disk.

          > Any pointers will be appreciated. :)
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Piotr

          I had forgotten this, maybe it was affecting you. There has to be at
          least one character in the active NoteTab document buffer when you
          trigger the clip that runs Perl, e.g. with !RunPerl whatever.pl

          Lacking that, the script fails and gives no error file.

          Sheri
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
            I often test clip syntax using Wayne's Note Awk Library clip for perl
            syntax. I now write all of my scripts in taint mode, but the -T kills
            the error reporting via that clip.