ntb triggered perl parsed rss news feed 4 U 2 read

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2003
      (new toy, just sharing) advanced? (might be) ie uses Perl needs perl module xml::rss installed

      <momentary side step> http://wildgrape.net/ newsdesk, I yet to try it out, likely it's higher production. But if you only want a few blogs or rss news sites then this herein clip combo it does work. And, later, I may update it to pull in a list of sites instead of just one as it does currently.</end_of momentary side step>

      If wanna try it (this clip, perl, rss feed 2 read): http://www.webreference.com/perl/tutorial/8/ scroll down near bottom to a small block because you need to source rss2html.pl which I "save target as" put the file in my (your) NoteTab scripts folder.

      that web page reports need a C compiler. But I didn't, nmake is all that i used and it works fine for me. I think i got the xml::rss module off of cpan instead of the above web page.

      Besides both that Perl module and that Perl script file, this clip, script method also uses a Notetab template and, well, also uses a clip. So, the Notetab Template code is next:

      = DocTemplate ClipCode "Page%0.3d.htm"
      <head>
      <title></title>
      </head>

      <!-- ... news_feed_insert -->

      ^!Find "... news_feed_insert" CWS
      ^!Select LINE
      ; ---end of template code---

      Lastly, Notetab clip is next:

      H="rss2read"
      ; AC 061503
      ^!Set %tpl%=rss2html.tpl; %plx%=rss2html.pl
      ^!Set %url%=^?[(H=38)choose one==http://www.bradsoft.com/feeds/rss.asp?feedid=1|http://slashdot.org/slashdot.rdf%5d
      ^!ChDir ^$GetShort("^$GetScriptPath$")$
      ^!Set %cmnd%=perl ^%plx% ^%url%
      ^!Set %newz%= ^$GetDosOutput("^%cmnd%")$
      ^!Open "^$GetTemplatePath$^%tpl%"
      ^!InsertText ^%newz%
      ^!Toolbar "View in Browser"
      ; ---end clip code----