Re: [NTS] RegExp Script Needed to Change a Clip...

    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2003
      Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),

      Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from Decimal format to Character.

      H="Convert Decimal Email addys back to Char"
      ;05/28/2003 by Sheri Pierce
      ;Position cursor at top of document or alternate starting point
      :Repeat
      ^!Jump Select_End
      ^!Find "(\&*\#\d+\;)+" RIS
      ^!IfError Clearvars
      ^!SetListDelimiter=;
      ^!SetArray %Trans%=^$GetSelection$
      ^!Set %i%=0
      ^!Clearvariable %decode%
      :Loop
      ^!If ^%i%>^%Trans0% Out
      ^!Inc %i%
      ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Trans^%i%%)$ Loop
      ^!Set %nextchar%="^$DecToChar(^$StrDeleteLeft(^%Trans^%i%%;2)$)$"
      ^!Append %decode%="^%nextchar%"
      ^!Clearvariable %nextchar%
      ^!Goto Loop
      :Out
      ^!IfMatch "[A-Z_.-0-9]+@[A-Z_.-0-9]+" "^%decode%" Next ELSE Repeat
      ^!InsertText ^%decode%
      ^!Goto Repeat
      :Clearvars
      ^!ClearVariable %Trans%
      ^!ClearVariable %decode%
      ^!ClearVariable %i%
      ^!Prompt All Done
      ;end of clip
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2003
        Sheri,

        Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
        pattern."

        Larry

        Sheri wrote:
        > Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
        >
        > Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
        > Decimal format to Character.

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2003
          Jody wrote:

          >Hi RegExpEerts,
          >
          >This is when I go from dec to web:
          >
          >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
          >jody@fookes.us
          >
          >I know it is not really needed to have it convert back, but I'd like
          to. <g>

          >This is a sample of the list. In short, everything in an eMail address
          >to prevent SPAM bots from harvesting eMail addresses.
          >
          >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
          >^!Replace "-" >> "-" HTSAI
          >^!Replace "@" >> "@" HTSAI
          >^!Replace "_" >> "_" HTSAI
          >^!Replace "a" >> "a" HTSAI
          >^!Replace "b" >> "b" HTSAI
          >^!Replace "y" >> "d" HTSAI
          >^!Replace "z" >> "e" HTSAI
          >
          >Thanks! I'll post all the Clips when done. I have a javascript
          >one but I'm told they aren't as good. I've had the Clips I made
          >from ions ago, but never used them. <bg>

          Hi Folks,

          I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process. It is
          a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex and hex back to
          characters.

          I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't remember
          the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least a year ago that
          converting email addresses to hex, as is being discussed here, is a
          waste of time.

          The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email gathering
          software is fully capable of decoding these converted addresses. If
          you're looking for protection from spam you would be better served by
          Anti-Spam and Firewall software or even, self constructed email filters
          in your email client..

          hrs
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2003
            At 11:56 PM 5/28/03 -0400, you wrote:
            >Sheri,
            >
            >Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
            >pattern."
            >
            >Larry
            >
            >Sheri wrote:
            >> Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
            >>
            >> Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
            >> Decimal format to Character.
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Sheri

            Hi Larry,

            When I saw your note I tried copy/paste of my clip from Eudora and from Yahoo and both work for me so I don't know what could be wrong. I tried it under 4.92 and 4.95 Pro. I haven't tried it in Std or Light. If you think its your data breaking the clip, please send me a sample.

            Thanks,
            Sheri
          • Jody
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2003
              Hi hrs and others...

              >>^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI

              I made the Clips I had a number of years ago and had a thought
              that the bots would be smart enough to convert a decimal eMail
              address, so I never used it. A list member and I got in a
              discussion about the javascript types and decimal.

              The member, whom I blind copied (Bcc:), wrote:

              "I have separate email addresses on my websites and I do lots of
              munging on my various sites to keep spam bots out, along with
              htaccess prohibiting 40 or 50 of the spambot programs. And I
              don't get any spam on those addresses

              But since I post on lists, alot at Yahoogroups, eventually they
              pick it up and spam it. There's spammers hiding on most lists
              and harvesting addresses so I use specific addresses (like this
              one) for posting at Yahoogroups and it's really a forward,
              if/when it gets spam, I'll change it slightly and change all my
              list subscriptions at Yahoo too.

              The javascript munging is good, but one thing to remember is that
              people who have javascript turned off or are using text only
              browsers can't access the mailto link at all. I use ascii
              encoding to munge my email addresses and the "mailto" part of the
              link as well, that keeps out the bots and I have a long list in
              my htaccess file of spambots that are denied access entirely to
              my sites."

              To be honest with you I have had straight eMail addresses at
              sites for a number of years and never got any SPAM to think of
              and definitely not put on the huge sold mailing lists. I never
              had on the average maybe 50 hits a day at tops. Bots may have
              some order about them, but for some reason I pictures them
              visiting sites at either random or sequentially.

              >I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process.
              >It is a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex
              >and hex back to characters.
              >
              >I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't
              >remember the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least
              >a year ago that converting email addresses to hex, as is being
              >discussed here, is a waste of time.
              >
              >The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email
              >gathering software is fully capable of decoding these converted
              >addresses.

              Happy Script'n!
              Jody Adair

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              mailto:ntb-Scripts-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              http://www.notetab.net
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                Sheri,

                I just went to the YahooGroups web site for this group and copied from there
                and it works.

                Larry