Re: [NTS] RegExp Script Needed to Change a Clip...

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2003
      Sheri, Jody, Alan,

      THANKS! I needed this too. Too much spam, this will help slow it down.

      Larry

      jody@fookes.c&
      #111;m

      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2003
        Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),

        Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from Decimal format to Character.

        H="Convert Decimal Email addys back to Char"
        ;05/28/2003 by Sheri Pierce
        ;Position cursor at top of document or alternate starting point
        :Repeat
        ^!Jump Select_End
        ^!Find "(\&*\#\d+\;)+" RIS
        ^!IfError Clearvars
        ^!SetListDelimiter=;
        ^!SetArray %Trans%=^$GetSelection$
        ^!Set %i%=0
        ^!Clearvariable %decode%
        :Loop
        ^!If ^%i%>^%Trans0% Out
        ^!Inc %i%
        ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Trans^%i%%)$ Loop
        ^!Set %nextchar%="^$DecToChar(^$StrDeleteLeft(^%Trans^%i%%;2)$)$"
        ^!Append %decode%="^%nextchar%"
        ^!Clearvariable %nextchar%
        ^!Goto Loop
        :Out
        ^!IfMatch "[A-Z_.-0-9]+@[A-Z_.-0-9]+" "^%decode%" Next ELSE Repeat
        ^!InsertText ^%decode%
        ^!Goto Repeat
        :Clearvars
        ^!ClearVariable %Trans%
        ^!ClearVariable %decode%
        ^!ClearVariable %i%
        ^!Prompt All Done
        ;end of clip
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2003
          Sheri,

          Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
          pattern."

          Larry

          Sheri wrote:
          > Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
          >
          > Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
          > Decimal format to Character.

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2003
            Jody wrote:

            >Hi RegExpEerts,
            >
            >This is when I go from dec to web:
            >
            >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
            >jody@fookes.us
            >
            >I know it is not really needed to have it convert back, but I'd like
            to. <g>

            >This is a sample of the list. In short, everything in an eMail address
            >to prevent SPAM bots from harvesting eMail addresses.
            >
            >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
            >^!Replace "-" >> "-" HTSAI
            >^!Replace "@" >> "@" HTSAI
            >^!Replace "_" >> "_" HTSAI
            >^!Replace "a" >> "a" HTSAI
            >^!Replace "b" >> "b" HTSAI
            >^!Replace "y" >> "d" HTSAI
            >^!Replace "z" >> "e" HTSAI
            >
            >Thanks! I'll post all the Clips when done. I have a javascript
            >one but I'm told they aren't as good. I've had the Clips I made
            >from ions ago, but never used them. <bg>

            Hi Folks,

            I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process. It is
            a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex and hex back to
            characters.

            I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't remember
            the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least a year ago that
            converting email addresses to hex, as is being discussed here, is a
            waste of time.

            The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email gathering
            software is fully capable of decoding these converted addresses. If
            you're looking for protection from spam you would be better served by
            Anti-Spam and Firewall software or even, self constructed email filters
            in your email client..

            hrs
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2003
              At 11:56 PM 5/28/03 -0400, you wrote:
              >Sheri,
              >
              >Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
              >pattern."
              >
              >Larry
              >
              >Sheri wrote:
              >> Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
              >>
              >> Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
              >> Decimal format to Character.
              >>
              >> Regards,
              >> Sheri

              Hi Larry,

              When I saw your note I tried copy/paste of my clip from Eudora and from Yahoo and both work for me so I don't know what could be wrong. I tried it under 4.92 and 4.95 Pro. I haven't tried it in Std or Light. If you think its your data breaking the clip, please send me a sample.

              Thanks,
              Sheri
            • Jody
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                Hi hrs and others...

                >>^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI

                I made the Clips I had a number of years ago and had a thought
                that the bots would be smart enough to convert a decimal eMail
                address, so I never used it. A list member and I got in a
                discussion about the javascript types and decimal.

                The member, whom I blind copied (Bcc:), wrote:

                "I have separate email addresses on my websites and I do lots of
                munging on my various sites to keep spam bots out, along with
                htaccess prohibiting 40 or 50 of the spambot programs. And I
                don't get any spam on those addresses

                But since I post on lists, alot at Yahoogroups, eventually they
                pick it up and spam it. There's spammers hiding on most lists
                and harvesting addresses so I use specific addresses (like this
                one) for posting at Yahoogroups and it's really a forward,
                if/when it gets spam, I'll change it slightly and change all my
                list subscriptions at Yahoo too.

                The javascript munging is good, but one thing to remember is that
                people who have javascript turned off or are using text only
                browsers can't access the mailto link at all. I use ascii
                encoding to munge my email addresses and the "mailto" part of the
                link as well, that keeps out the bots and I have a long list in
                my htaccess file of spambots that are denied access entirely to
                my sites."

                To be honest with you I have had straight eMail addresses at
                sites for a number of years and never got any SPAM to think of
                and definitely not put on the huge sold mailing lists. I never
                had on the average maybe 50 hits a day at tops. Bots may have
                some order about them, but for some reason I pictures them
                visiting sites at either random or sequentially.

                >I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process.
                >It is a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex
                >and hex back to characters.
                >
                >I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't
                >remember the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least
                >a year ago that converting email addresses to hex, as is being
                >discussed here, is a waste of time.
                >
                >The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email
                >gathering software is fully capable of decoding these converted
                >addresses.

                Happy Script'n!
                Jody Adair

                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                mailto:ntb-Scripts-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                http://www.notetab.net
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                  Sheri,

                  I just went to the YahooGroups web site for this group and copied from there
                  and it works.

                  Larry