Re: [NTS] RegExp Script Needed to Change a Clip...

  • Jody
    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2003

      >Hi Jody,
      >
      >?

      Yes. :) I understand now. Thanks!

      >I think you must have run it in the wrong context, works fine for
      >me as to what is supposed to do.
      >
      >Its meant to be run on an html or other source document and
      >replaces all ascii email addresses found with their coded decimal
      >equivalents, e.g.,
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2003
        Sheri, Jody, Alan,

        THANKS! I needed this too. Too much spam, this will help slow it down.

        Larry

        jody@fookes.c&
        #111;m

        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2003
          Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),

          Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from Decimal format to Character.

          H="Convert Decimal Email addys back to Char"
          ;05/28/2003 by Sheri Pierce
          ;Position cursor at top of document or alternate starting point
          :Repeat
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ^!Find "(\&*\#\d+\;)+" RIS
          ^!IfError Clearvars
          ^!SetListDelimiter=;
          ^!SetArray %Trans%=^$GetSelection$
          ^!Set %i%=0
          ^!Clearvariable %decode%
          :Loop
          ^!If ^%i%>^%Trans0% Out
          ^!Inc %i%
          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Trans^%i%%)$ Loop
          ^!Set %nextchar%="^$DecToChar(^$StrDeleteLeft(^%Trans^%i%%;2)$)$"
          ^!Append %decode%="^%nextchar%"
          ^!Clearvariable %nextchar%
          ^!Goto Loop
          :Out
          ^!IfMatch "[A-Z_.-0-9]+@[A-Z_.-0-9]+" "^%decode%" Next ELSE Repeat
          ^!InsertText ^%decode%
          ^!Goto Repeat
          :Clearvars
          ^!ClearVariable %Trans%
          ^!ClearVariable %decode%
          ^!ClearVariable %i%
          ^!Prompt All Done
          ;end of clip
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2003
            Sheri,

            Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
            pattern."

            Larry

            Sheri wrote:
            > Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
            >
            > Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
            > Decimal format to Character.

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 14 , May 28, 2003
              Jody wrote:

              >Hi RegExpEerts,
              >
              >This is when I go from dec to web:
              >
              >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
              >jody@fookes.us
              >
              >I know it is not really needed to have it convert back, but I'd like
              to. <g>

              >This is a sample of the list. In short, everything in an eMail address
              >to prevent SPAM bots from harvesting eMail addresses.
              >
              >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
              >^!Replace "-" >> "-" HTSAI
              >^!Replace "@" >> "@" HTSAI
              >^!Replace "_" >> "_" HTSAI
              >^!Replace "a" >> "a" HTSAI
              >^!Replace "b" >> "b" HTSAI
              >^!Replace "y" >> "d" HTSAI
              >^!Replace "z" >> "e" HTSAI
              >
              >Thanks! I'll post all the Clips when done. I have a javascript
              >one but I'm told they aren't as good. I've had the Clips I made
              >from ions ago, but never used them. <bg>

              Hi Folks,

              I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process. It is
              a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex and hex back to
              characters.

              I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't remember
              the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least a year ago that
              converting email addresses to hex, as is being discussed here, is a
              waste of time.

              The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email gathering
              software is fully capable of decoding these converted addresses. If
              you're looking for protection from spam you would be better served by
              Anti-Spam and Firewall software or even, self constructed email filters
              in your email client..

              hrs
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                At 11:56 PM 5/28/03 -0400, you wrote:
                >Sheri,
                >
                >Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
                >pattern."
                >
                >Larry
                >
                >Sheri wrote:
                >> Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
                >>
                >> Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
                >> Decimal format to Character.
                >>
                >> Regards,
                >> Sheri

                Hi Larry,

                When I saw your note I tried copy/paste of my clip from Eudora and from Yahoo and both work for me so I don't know what could be wrong. I tried it under 4.92 and 4.95 Pro. I haven't tried it in Std or Light. If you think its your data breaking the clip, please send me a sample.

                Thanks,
                Sheri
              • Jody
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                  Hi hrs and others...

                  >>^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI

                  I made the Clips I had a number of years ago and had a thought
                  that the bots would be smart enough to convert a decimal eMail
                  address, so I never used it. A list member and I got in a
                  discussion about the javascript types and decimal.

                  The member, whom I blind copied (Bcc:), wrote:

                  "I have separate email addresses on my websites and I do lots of
                  munging on my various sites to keep spam bots out, along with
                  htaccess prohibiting 40 or 50 of the spambot programs. And I
                  don't get any spam on those addresses

                  But since I post on lists, alot at Yahoogroups, eventually they
                  pick it up and spam it. There's spammers hiding on most lists
                  and harvesting addresses so I use specific addresses (like this
                  one) for posting at Yahoogroups and it's really a forward,
                  if/when it gets spam, I'll change it slightly and change all my
                  list subscriptions at Yahoo too.

                  The javascript munging is good, but one thing to remember is that
                  people who have javascript turned off or are using text only
                  browsers can't access the mailto link at all. I use ascii
                  encoding to munge my email addresses and the "mailto" part of the
                  link as well, that keeps out the bots and I have a long list in
                  my htaccess file of spambots that are denied access entirely to
                  my sites."

                  To be honest with you I have had straight eMail addresses at
                  sites for a number of years and never got any SPAM to think of
                  and definitely not put on the huge sold mailing lists. I never
                  had on the average maybe 50 hits a day at tops. Bots may have
                  some order about them, but for some reason I pictures them
                  visiting sites at either random or sequentially.

                  >I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process.
                  >It is a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex
                  >and hex back to characters.
                  >
                  >I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't
                  >remember the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least
                  >a year ago that converting email addresses to hex, as is being
                  >discussed here, is a waste of time.
                  >
                  >The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email
                  >gathering software is fully capable of decoding these converted
                  >addresses.

                  Happy Script'n!
                  Jody Adair

                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                  mailto:ntb-Scripts-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                  http://www.notetab.net
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                    Sheri,

                    I just went to the YahooGroups web site for this group and copied from there
                    and it works.

                    Larry