Re: [NTS] RegExp Script Needed to Change a Clip...

    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2003
      At 08:23 AM 5/28/03 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi Sheri,
      >
      >No, I have that at least what I think yours was suppose to do. All I
      >got was the Done prompt.

      Hi Jody,

      ?

      I think you must have run it in the wrong context, works fine for me as to what is supposed to do.

      Its meant to be run on an html or other source document and replaces all ascii email addresses found with their coded decimal equivalents, e.g.,

      jody @ fookes . com (without the spaces) becomes

      jody@fookes.com

      Cursor should be at the top of the document or at a chosen starting point before running.

    • Jody
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2003

        >Hi Jody,
        >
        >?

        Yes. :) I understand now. Thanks!

        >I think you must have run it in the wrong context, works fine for
        >me as to what is supposed to do.
        >
        >Its meant to be run on an html or other source document and
        >replaces all ascii email addresses found with their coded decimal
        >equivalents, e.g.,
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 14 , May 28, 2003
          Sheri, Jody, Alan,

          THANKS! I needed this too. Too much spam, this will help slow it down.

          Larry

          #111;m

          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2003
            Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),

            Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from Decimal format to Character.

            H="Convert Decimal Email addys back to Char"
            ;05/28/2003 by Sheri Pierce
            ;Position cursor at top of document or alternate starting point
            :Repeat
            ^!Jump Select_End
            ^!Find "(\&*\#\d+\;)+" RIS
            ^!IfError Clearvars
            ^!SetListDelimiter=;
            ^!SetArray %Trans%=^$GetSelection$
            ^!Set %i%=0
            ^!Clearvariable %decode%
            :Loop
            ^!If ^%i%>^%Trans0% Out
            ^!Inc %i%
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%Trans^%i%%)$ Loop
            ^!Set %nextchar%="^$DecToChar(^$StrDeleteLeft(^%Trans^%i%%;2)$)$"
            ^!Append %decode%="^%nextchar%"
            ^!Clearvariable %nextchar%
            ^!Goto Loop
            :Out
            ^!IfMatch "[A-Z_.-0-9]+@[A-Z_.-0-9]+" "^%decode%" Next ELSE Repeat
            ^!InsertText ^%decode%
            ^!Goto Repeat
            :Clearvars
            ^!ClearVariable %Trans%
            ^!ClearVariable %decode%
            ^!ClearVariable %i%
            ^!Prompt All Done
            ;end of clip
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 14 , May 28, 2003
              Sheri,

              Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
              pattern."

              Larry

              Sheri wrote:
              > Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
              >
              > Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
              > Decimal format to Character.

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 14 , May 28, 2003
                Jody wrote:

                >Hi RegExpEerts,
                >
                >This is when I go from dec to web:
                >
                >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
                >jody@fookes.us
                >
                >I know it is not really needed to have it convert back, but I'd like
                to. <g>

                >This is a sample of the list. In short, everything in an eMail address
                >to prevent SPAM bots from harvesting eMail addresses.
                >
                >^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI
                >^!Replace "-" >> "-" HTSAI
                >^!Replace "@" >> "@" HTSAI
                >^!Replace "_" >> "_" HTSAI
                >^!Replace "a" >> "a" HTSAI
                >^!Replace "b" >> "b" HTSAI
                >^!Replace "y" >> "d" HTSAI
                >^!Replace "z" >> "e" HTSAI
                >
                >Thanks! I'll post all the Clips when done. I have a javascript
                >one but I'm told they aren't as good. I've had the Clips I made
                >from ions ago, but never used them. <bg>

                Hi Folks,

                I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process. It is
                a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex and hex back to
                characters.

                I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't remember
                the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least a year ago that
                converting email addresses to hex, as is being discussed here, is a
                waste of time.

                The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email gathering
                software is fully capable of decoding these converted addresses. If
                you're looking for protection from spam you would be better served by
                Anti-Spam and Firewall software or even, self constructed email filters
                in your email client..

                hrs
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                  At 11:56 PM 5/28/03 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Sheri,
                  >
                  >Email must have broken the clip. I get a message "Error detected near end of
                  >pattern."
                  >
                  >Larry
                  >
                  >Sheri wrote:
                  >> Hi Larry (Jody, Alan),
                  >>
                  >> Glad you could use it! Here's another I'd done that goes back from
                  >> Decimal format to Character.
                  >>
                  >> Regards,
                  >> Sheri

                  Hi Larry,

                  When I saw your note I tried copy/paste of my clip from Eudora and from Yahoo and both work for me so I don't know what could be wrong. I tried it under 4.92 and 4.95 Pro. I haven't tried it in Std or Light. If you think its your data breaking the clip, please send me a sample.

                  Thanks,
                  Sheri
                • Jody
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                    Hi hrs and others...

                    >>^!Replace "." >> "." HTSAI

                    I made the Clips I had a number of years ago and had a thought
                    that the bots would be smart enough to convert a decimal eMail
                    address, so I never used it. A list member and I got in a
                    discussion about the javascript types and decimal.

                    The member, whom I blind copied (Bcc:), wrote:

                    "I have separate email addresses on my websites and I do lots of
                    munging on my various sites to keep spam bots out, along with
                    htaccess prohibiting 40 or 50 of the spambot programs. And I
                    don't get any spam on those addresses

                    But since I post on lists, alot at Yahoogroups, eventually they
                    pick it up and spam it. There's spammers hiding on most lists
                    and harvesting addresses so I use specific addresses (like this
                    one) for posting at Yahoogroups and it's really a forward,
                    if/when it gets spam, I'll change it slightly and change all my
                    list subscriptions at Yahoo too.

                    The javascript munging is good, but one thing to remember is that
                    people who have javascript turned off or are using text only
                    browsers can't access the mailto link at all. I use ascii
                    encoding to munge my email addresses and the "mailto" part of the
                    link as well, that keeps out the bots and I have a long list in
                    my htaccess file of spambots that are denied access entirely to
                    my sites."

                    To be honest with you I have had straight eMail addresses at
                    sites for a number of years and never got any SPAM to think of
                    and definitely not put on the huge sold mailing lists. I never
                    had on the average maybe 50 hits a day at tops. Bots may have
                    some order about them, but for some reason I pictures them
                    visiting sites at either random or sequentially.

                    >I hate to disillusion all the people interested in this process.
                    >It is a great exercise in regexp, converting characters to hex
                    >and hex back to characters.
                    >
                    >I converted my own address a while back, until I read, can't
                    >remember the exact source, possibly a ZDNet newsletter, at least
                    >a year ago that converting email addresses to hex, as is being
                    >discussed here, is a waste of time.
                    >
                    >The author of the piece stated that, spam bots, or, email
                    >gathering software is fully capable of decoding these converted
                    >addresses.

                    Happy Script'n!
                    Jody Adair

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                    mailto:ntb-Scripts-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                    http://www.notetab.net
                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2003
                      Sheri,

                      I just went to the YahooGroups web site for this group and copied from there
                      and it works.

                      Larry