Re: [NTS] Re: Registry Browser (Notetab+Perl)

    Message 1 of 17 , May 12, 2003
      Hi Alan,

      I made a few changes. Now passing the branch from clip to Perl via the document <STDIN>. Even after I got ARGV to work thanks to substituted characters, I found there is still a potential problem using ARGV at least under Win98. I.E., the possibility the command line could be too long. Also made a slight enhancement allowing the choice of "Up to Root" from one of the primary branches.

      Did you notice the needed eval?
      >my $keyq = qq(new Win32::TieRegistry "$Branch");
      >$key = eval($keyq);

      This is because it wouldn't work with anything like:
      new Win32::TieRegistry $Branch;

      >> $valcount=@names;
      >
      >That line, near halfway down the _PerlRegScript, the line is
      >truncated.

      Thanks for pointing that out, I spaced it out this time!

      I noticed something unexpected about the Perl sorted lists, they're not really alphabetical. Capitalized member names precede ones in lower case. Hmmn.

      H="Browse Registry via Perl"
      ;Created by Sheri Pierce 5/10/03
      ;modified 5/12/03
      ^!Info This clip captures the currently selected subkey branch and value key name on the clipboard.
      :Start
      ^!Set %Branch%=""
      ^!Set %curdoc%="^$GetDocName$"
      ^!SetWizardLabel
      ^!Set %Root%=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|HKEY_CURRENT_USER|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|HKEY_USERS
      ^!Set %Branch%="^?{(T=L;H=5)Enter Registry Branch=^%Root%}"
      ^!IfCancel Out
      ^!SetClipboard ^%Branch%
      :PerlSubs
      ^!Setscreenupdate off
      ^!Menu File/New
      ^!InsertText ^%Branch%
      ^!RunPerl "PerlRegScript"
      ^!IfFileExist ^$GetAppPath$StdError.err PerlError
      ^!SetListDelimiter XSEPX^P
      ^!SetArray %SubsandVals%="^$StrTrim("^$GetText$")$"
      ^!Clip "BrowseRegSubClip"
      ^!DestroyDoc
      ^!SetDocIndex=^$GetDocIndex("^%curdoc%")$
      :ShowSubs
      ^!Set %count%=0
      ^!Set %choices%=""
      ^!If ^$StrPos("\";"^%Branch%";No)$>0 Next Else Skip_2
      ^!Set %choices%="Up a level|"
      ^!Goto Loop
      ^!Set %choices%="Up to Root|"
      :Loop
      ^!Inc %count%
      ^!If ^%count%>^%Subkeys0% Doit
      ^!Append %choices% ^%Subkeys^%count%%|
      ^!Goto Loop
      :Doit
      ^!SetWizardLabel ^%Branch%
      ^!Set %oldchosen%=^%chosen%
      ^!Set %chosen%=^?{(T=L;H=15)Select a key=^%choices%}
      ^!IfCancel Out
      ^!If ^%chosen%="Up a level" Up_Level
      ^!If ^%chosen%="Up to Root" Start
      ^!IfMatch "Show the \d+ Value Keys" "^%chosen%" ShowVals
      ^!Set %Branch%="^%Branch%\^%chosen%"
      ^!SetClipboard ^%Branch%
      ^!Goto PerlSubs
      :Up_Level
      ^!Set %size%=^$StrSize("^%Branch%")$
      ^!Set %LastSlash%=^$StrPosRight("\";"^%Branch%";No)$
      ^!If ^%LastSlash%=0 Root
      ^!Set %Branch%=^$StrDeleteRight("^%Branch%";^$Calc(^%size%-^%LastSlash%+1)$)$
      ^!Goto PerlSubs
      :Root
      ^!Set %Branch%=""
      ^!Goto Start
      :ShowVals
      ^!Set %count%=0
      ^!Set %keychoices%=""
      :LoopVals
      ^!Inc %count%
      ^!If ^%count%>^%Valkeys0% Dovals
      ^!Append %keychoices% ^%Valkeys^%count%%|
      ^!Goto LoopVals
      :Dovals
      ^!Set %key%=^?{Select key==^%keychoices%}
      ^!IfCancel Out
      ^!IfMatch "Return to Subkey Branch Display" "^%key%" ShowSubs
      ^!SetClipboard ^%Branch%:^%key%
      ^!Info Registry Value via Notetab GetRegValue (seems to work only when the value contains string or decimal value)^P^P =^P^P ^$GetRegValue("^%Branch%:^%key%")$
      ^!Goto Dovals
      :Out
      ^!Info Reminder: the last used branch and valuekey (if any) is on the clipboard.
      ^!Goto End
      :PerlError
      ^!Info Sorry, there was a Perl Error.
      ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$StdError.err

      H="_BrowseRegSubClip"
      ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
      ^!SetArray %Subkeys%=^%SubsandVals1%
      ^!SetArray %Valkeys%=^%SubsandVals2%

      H="_PerlRegScript"
      #modified 5/12/03
      use strict;
      use Win32::TieRegistry;
      #my $Branch=$ARGV[0];
      my $Branch = <STDIN>;
      chomp $Branch;
      #double up slashes for use in tieregistry
      $Branch =~ s/\\/\\\\/g;
      my ($key, $valcount, @names, @namesunsort, @subbranches, @subbranches_unsort, $subkeycount);
      my $keyq = qq(new Win32::TieRegistry "$Branch");
      $key = eval($keyq);
      #convert to familiar slashes for printing branch name
      $Branch =~ s/\\\\/\\/g;
      @namesunsort = $key->ValueNames;
      @names = sort(@namesunsort);
      $valcount = @names;
      if ($valcount>0) {print "Show the $valcount Value Keys\n";}
      @subbranches_unsort = $key->SubKeyNames;
      @subbranches = sort(@subbranches_unsort);
      $subkeycount = @subbranches;
      #Problem! $subkeycount isn't working
      if ($subkeycount = 0) {print "No Subkey Branches Found\n";}
      else {
      foreach $_(@subbranches){
      print;
      print "\n";
      if ($valcount>0) {
      print "XSEPX\n";
      print "Return to Subkey Branch Display\n";
      foreach $_(@names){
      print;
      print "\n";
      #end of script

      Message 2 of 17 , May 12, 2003
        All day havin trouble with my isp's mail sys. Cwnet isp in
        Sacramento California area spread the word around. Other than their
        mail their service is fine. I think they need to hire a new server
        admin or whoever manage their mail server system.

        I know what forwarding is their server refuses in accusation that no
        forwarding allowed (current erroneous thing of theirs that holds up
        and delays me) so here i posting from yahgruop web interface again.

        On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:10:27 -0400, Sheri wrote:
        >Hi Alan,
        >
        >I made a few changes. Now passing the branch from clip to Perl via
        >the document <STDIN>. Even after I got ARGV to work thanks to
        >substituted characters, I found there is still a potential problem
        >using ARGV at least under Win98. I.E., the possibility the command
        >line could be too long. Also made a slight enhancement allowing the
        >choice of "Up to Root" from one of the primary branches.

        <STDIN> normally would be keyboard input--but it is like a file
        handle onto a file, just happens that it's a keyboard input
        filehandle.

        It appears that the NoteTab runperl command then must use that as a
        filehandle onto a file, the current doc file in NoteTab.

        In Perl circles, I've never heard anyone report they source from a
        doc as input. It's always open a filehandle on a file or use the
        commandline or once the perl script is running, prompt and take input
        via the keyboard which normally feeds into the <STDIN>.

        Ya I previously ran into the commandline space issue, did what you
        did, substitute in ntb with something weird then in Perl, substitute
        back to the space or spaces.

        I put a goto end just before your destroy doc and I could see the
        keys or whatever its called that were dumped into the doc.

        I haven't had time yet to tinker with the module. Sometimes when I
        do, I get something worthwhile working out of my effort. Other
        times, I don't even get it to work.

        I had the idea to use getdosoutput and just wrap that around a
        command. But that's limited to the command line. Perhaps this other
        is better perhaps it is using a file handle that has been opened

        I still need to learn a bunch more. The Linux class currently really
        drawing demand on my time

        your clip/script worked good on my Win 2k computer.

        >Did you notice the needed eval?

        I saw it in there. I don't know enough about it why it would be
        needed or not.

        FWIW the cpan web page for the module shows this:

        Changing your delimiter

        $Registry->Delimiter("/");
        $tip18= $Registry->{"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/"
        . 'Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Tips//18'};

        This usually makes things easier to read when working in Perl. All
        remaining examples will assume the delimiter has been changed as
        above.
        ;-----end snippet from web page----------

        I was hoping the module has capability to search the registry for
        something say some keywords entered then return whatever found and
        then ability to select from found items then command it to pull
        content of those found keys or branches. But maybe I dont know enuf
        about it perhaps the registry not even constructed in a manner
        conducive to that.

        I hope in tinkering with this stuff to learn more about Perl and the
        win32 registry and data storage methods since registry does storage.

        I dunno enuf about the registry either. I wonder if another registry
        could be created on the hard drive and used as a data base

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 17 , May 13, 2003
          Hi Alan,

          I hope your isp probs are improving...

          At 05:55 AM 5/13/03 +0000, you wrote:
          > I put a goto end just before your destroy doc and I could
          > see the keys or whatever its called that were dumped into
          > the doc.

          Prior to using multi-d arrays in the clip, I needed a
          separate Perl script to access values vs subbranches. Its
          much more convenient to get them all at once. I see in
          some clips multiple ^!SetListDelimiter statements work ok.
          Try moving my sub-clip statements into the main clip and
          see what you make of the error.

          > your clip/script worked good on my Win 2k computer.

          Did you get a chance to try the other one, the custom
          function? I was curious if it works on winvers > 98se.

          >> Did you notice the needed eval?
          >
          > I saw it in there. I don't know enough about it why it
          > would be needed or not.
          >
          > FWIW the cpan web page for the module shows this:
          >
          > Changing your delimiter
          >
          > $Registry->Delimiter("/");
          > $tip18= $Registry->{"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/"
          > . 'Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Tips//18'};
          >

          > This usually makes things easier to read when working in
          > Perl. All remaining examples will assume the delimiter has
          > been changed as above.
          > ;-----end snippet from web page----------
          >
          > I was hoping the module has capability to search the
          > registry for something say some keywords entered then
          > return whatever found and then ability to select from
          > found items then command it to pull content of those found
          > keys or branches. But maybe I dont know enuf about it
          > perhaps the registry not even constructed in a manner
          > conducive to that.

          I think the CPAN page you cited is the same as the Perldoc
          for Win32::TieRegistry. In part it also says: "Note that
          you will most likely use $Registry instead of using a tied
          hash. $Registry is a reference to a hash that has been
          tied to the virtual root of your computer's Registry [as
          if, $Registry= \%RegHash]."

          I was never able to get the variable $Registry variable to
          work. :(

          I was experimenting with this module around the same time
          I succeeded with Config::IniFiles. I normally pass any
          parameters from a clip to Perl via my own clip-written ini
          file and use Config::IniFiles to read it in Perl, but in
          this case was trying to avoid dependence on extra modules.

          Message 4 of 17 , May 13, 2003
            At 01:25 PM 5/13/03 +0000, you wrote:

            >> Did you get a chance to try the other one, the custom
            >> function? I was curious if it works on winvers > 98se.
            >>

            >Sheri,
            >
            >I ran your original clip on Win XP Pro at home yesterday. After some
            >tweaking (Alan's remark about @names...) it ran OK. Beautiful clip(s).
            >
            >But I have a question about the purpose of the clip: why on earth
            >would I want to see these registry-file details. When could that come
            >in handy? And: the result is shown in a document, but what can I do
            >with these details/deduct from that? Forgive my ignorance, I never
            >use the registry, only clean it from time to time - just curious.
            >
            >Hugo

            Hi Hugo,

            (I hope you don't mind, I am copying this reply to the
            scripts list. There is so little traffic there, I'm hoping
            your comments will encourage others to speak up.)

            Thanks for the comments!

            About the only way I see it being useful is if you were
            using Notetab as a programming editor. Maybe if you needed
            to paste a branch/key name into your program and wanted to
            avoid typos....?

            It would certainly be just as easy to launch a real
            registry editor. I put this clip in the category of
            showing something can be done, whether it makes sense or
            not <g>. The clip could be easily modified to start from
            some branch of particular interest. In that case maybe the
            clip would be more convenient than a registry editor.

            >And: the result is shown in a document, but what can I do
            >with these details/deduct from that?

            Not sure I understand what you mean by that. Did you mean
            clip wizard instead of document? Are you referring to the
            custom function or the Perl driven clip ((Alan's remark
            about @names refers to that one, or was there a similar
            problem with the custom function one?).

          • H.Paulissen@FDCW.unimaas.nl
            Message 5 of 17 , May 13, 2003
              Sheri,

              > (I hope you don't mind, I am copying this reply to the
              > scripts list. There is so little traffic there, I'm hoping
              > your comments will encourage others to speak up.)

              Not at all...

              > Thanks for the comments!
              >
              > About the only way I see it being useful is if you were
              > using Notetab as a programming editor. Maybe if you needed
              > to paste a branch/key name into your program and wanted to
              > avoid typos....?

              OK

              > >And: the result is shown in a document, but what can I do
              > >with these details/deduct from that?
              >
              > Not sure I understand what you mean by that. Did you mean
              > clip wizard instead of document? Are you referring to the
              > custom function or the Perl driven clip ((Alan's remark
              > about @names refers to that one, or was there a similar
              > problem with the custom function one?).

              In a way you answered that already. I was not referring to the output being
              in a document, but to the actual output itself...

              What I meant was: Nice to know that this registry-subvalue is 1788889 (or
              whatever?) - but what should I do with this knowledge
              ?

              Oh well, never mind, you said it was an almost useless clip <bg>.

              > It would certainly be just as easy to launch a real
              > registry editor. I put this clip in the category of
              > showing something can be done, whether it makes sense or
              > not <g>.

              Hugo
              Message 6 of 17 , May 13, 2003
                Hi Hugo,

                At 04:16 PM 5/13/03 +0200, you wrote:

                >What I meant was: Nice to know that this registry-subvalue is 1788889 (or
                >whatever?) - but what should I do with this knowledge
                >?

                Well, I guess if the particular registry-subvalue is the one a programmer makes use of, s/he knows what 1788889 means <G>

                It would be a constant your clip or program could assign to a variable.

                I just remembered I once used the current screen resolution in an AutoIt script. It was in the registry at

                Branch: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Display\Settings
                Key: Resolution

                So now (opening a can of worms), I see I don't have HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG in my set of root choices, so I just added it. Then I used the clip to browse to and select the Resolution key. I discovered that Notetab's ^$GetRegValue$ wouldn't read it or any other value in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG. I have no explanation - might be a bug in ^$GetRegValue$. :(

                Message 7 of 17 , May 14, 2003
                  On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:16:09 -0400, Sheri wrote:

                  Hi Sheri and Hugo,

                  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/search?query=win32%3A%3Atieregistry&type=Archive_perl-win32-admin_list&x=17&y=3

                  That some admin uses of Win32::TieRegistry
                  look like that and programming the primary uses of the module

                  >I hope your isp probs are improving...
                  it a little better now.

                  >Did you get a chance to try the other one, the custom
                  >function? I was curious if it works on winvers >�98se.

                  Just did. Win 2k. Works fine on the first recurse it lists subs as well as the data or value of a key. But after choosing a key then it reports the value of key is:

                  and its blank, nothing listed for value. i look regedit there's two values in the key that i picked with your clip

                  I just spent near two hours trying to get something out of win32::tieregistry and i didn't even get it to work at all. i was just a .pl script file with stuff hard coded then in command console: perl tiereg.pl

                  nada, nothing. (it's due to my experience level not sufficient for the task)

                  i found out that tie in Perl is where like an auto array building ie if reading a folder of files then the tie "pushes" each file onto the front of the array (until all files are read into the array).

                  I'm sure the module capability, utilizes that and can read portion of a reg branch and print out keys, sub keys, and values.

                  I opened win32::tieregistry in NoteTab. It defines shortcuts for the main reg branches ie Lmachine can use instead of the longer hkey_local_machine

                  Anything such as that and others created therein is available in the main current package namespace or whatever it's called (use whatever_module;) as I'm sure you know brings that stuff into the current namespace.

                  there is an older win32::registry module deprecated recommend use win3::tieregistry both are on my activestate perl 61 build 633

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 14, 2003
                    Woop woop

                    I'm all excited! I just got Win32::TieRegistry to work!

                    I found more about it

                    http://www.xav.com/perl/site/lib/Win32/TieRegistry.html

                    clicked on "specifying constants in your perl code" (code sample below came from there)

                    the single / works and everything!

                    But I still don't know how to READ :-(

                    The next creates a few new keys (i then examined them with regedit and then used regedit to delete them) was harmless on my win 2k.

                    Be forwarned: to create the wrong type key in the wrong place in the registry can spell disaster!

                    #!perl -w
                    use strict;
                    my $Registry;
                    use Win32::TieRegistry 0.24 (
                    TiedRef => \$Registry, Delimiter => "/", ArrayValues => 1,
                    SplitMultis => 1, AllowLoad => 1,
                    qw( REG_SZ REG_EXPAND_SZ REG_DWORD REG_BINARY REG_MULTI_SZ
                    KEY_READ KEY_WRITE KEY_ALL_ACCESS ),
                    );
                    $Registry->{"LMachine/Software/FooCorp/"}= {
                    "FooWriter/" => {
                    "/Fonts" => [ ["Times","Courier","Lucinda"], REG_MULTI_SZ ],
                    "/WindowSize" => [ pack("LL",24,80), REG_BINARY ],
                    "/TaskBarIcon" => [ "0x0001", REG_DWORD ],
                    },
                    } or die "Can't create Software/FooCorp/: $^E\n";

                    --
                    Later. Alan.
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 14, 2003
                      Hi Alan,

                      At 01:06 AM 5/14/03 -0700, you wrote:

                      >>Did you get a chance to try the other one, the custom
                      >>function? I was curious if it works on winvers > 98se.
                      >
                      >Just did. Win 2k. Works fine on the first recurse it lists subs as well as the data or value of a key.

                      Hmmn. That one isn't supposed to be listing subs. You supply the sub, it lists the key names in a clip wizard. Were you running my "Test GetRegSubKeys" ?

                      >But after choosing a key then it reports the value of key is:
                      >
                      >and its blank, nothing listed for value. i look regedit there's two values in the key that i picked with your clip

                      Two values in a key? Maybe is a type the Notetab ^$GetRegValue$ function doesn't read.

                      >I just spent near two hours trying to get something out of win32::tieregistry and i didn't even get it to work at all. i was just a .pl script file with stuff hard coded then in command console: perl tiereg.pl
                      >
                      >nada, nothing. (it's due to my experience level not sufficient for the task)

                      That bites doesn't it <g>

                      >i found out that tie in Perl is where like an auto array building ie if reading a folder of files then the tie "pushes" each file onto the front of the array (until all files are read into the array).
                      >
                      >I'm sure the module capability, utilizes that and can read portion of a reg branch and print out keys, sub keys, and values.
                      >
                      >I opened win32::tieregistry in NoteTab. It defines shortcuts for the main reg branches ie Lmachine can use instead of the longer hkey_local_machine

                      Yes, but not a good idea for clip integration that doesn't recognize the shortcuts. Speaking of shortcuts, I read yesterday that HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG, whose keys Notetab's ^$GetRegValue$ won't read, is a shortcut for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config. On my computer I found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config\0001\etc seems to have the same branches and keys as HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\etc.

                      Notetab's ^$GetRegValue$ function works fine when using the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config\0001\etc key info.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 14, 2003
                        Hi Alan,

                        At 01:32 AM 5/14/03 -0700, you wrote:
                        >Woop woop
                        >
                        >I'm all excited! I just got Win32::TieRegistry to work!

                        Congratulations!

                        >I found more about it
                        >
                        >http://www.xav.com/perl/site/lib/Win32/TieRegistry.html
                        >
                        >clicked on "specifying constants in your perl code" (code sample below came from there)
                        >
                        >the single / works and everything!
                        >
                        >But I still don't know how to READ :-(

                        If by that you mean read a value using Perl instead on Notetab's ^$GetRegValue$, I was able to do it in my script (that doesn't use $Registry) using

                        ($valueString,$valuetype) = $key->GetValue("$valname");

                        Unfortunately, the clip won't resume after perl if I use print $valueString and its the wrong type of data, e.g., $valuetype 3 seems to be Binary.

                        >The next creates a few new keys (i then examined them with regedit and then used regedit to delete them) was harmless on my win 2k.
                        >
                        >Be forwarned: to create the wrong type key in the wrong place in the registry can spell disaster!

                        LOL! I should run it after such a warning? <G>

                        Well, maybe later.

                        Sheri :)
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 14, 2003
                          Hi Alan,

                          OK, I tried your script and it worked fine.

                          Then used my clip/script (now enhanced to use GetValue() when Notetab ^$GetRegValue$ returns an empty string) to try to read the 3 new keys. The only one that didn't crash the clip (by trying to print unacceptable data to a Notetab doc I suppose) was TaskBarIcon. I was reading the data type as numeric. I read in the perldoc that if you install module "SetDualVar" it will return the constant name of the data type. So I installed SetDualVar, and that works (but numeric test also seems to still work). I know for sure that REG_BINARY (type 3) and REG_MULTI_SZ (type 7) ones can't print to Notetab so those are excluded (report data type only).

                          H="Browse Registry via Perl"
                          ;Created by Sheri Pierce 5/10/03
                          ;5/14/03 version
                          ^!Info This clip captures the currently selected subkey branch and value key name on the clipboard.
                          :Start
                          ^!Set %Branch%=""
                          ^!Set %curdoc%="^$GetDocName$"
                          ^!SetWizardLabel
                          ^!Set %Root%=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|HKEY_CURRENT_USER|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|HKEY_USERS|HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
[...]
                          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetRegValue("^%Branch%:^%key%")$)$ Next Else NTInfo
                          ^!Setdebug on
                          :PerlInfo
                          ^!Menu File/New
                          ^!InsertText ^%Branch%::^%key%
                          ^!RunPerl "PerlRegValScript"
                          ^!Set %ValViaPerl%=^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$
                          ^!IfFileExist ^$GetAppPath$StdError.err PerlError
                          ^!DestroyDoc
                          ^!SetDocIndex=^$GetDocIndex("^%curdoc%")$
                          ^!Info Notetab's ^$GetRegValue$ command doesn't read this key!^PRegistry Value via Perl^P^P=^P^P^%ValViaPerl%
                          ^!Goto Dovals
                          :NTInfo
                          ^!Info Registry Value via Notetab GetRegValue (seems to work only when the value contains string or decimal value)^P^P =^P^P ^$GetRegValue("^%Branch%:^%key%")$
                          ^!Goto Dovals
                          :Out
                          ^!Info Reminder: the last used branch and valuekey (if any) is on the clipboard.
                          ^!ClearVariable %PassBranch%
                          ^!Goto End
                          :PerlError
                          ^!Info Sorry, there was a Perl Error.
                          ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$StdError.err

                          H="_BrowseRegSubClip"
                          ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                          ^!SetArray %Subkeys%=^%SubsandVals1%
                          ^!SetArray %Valkeys%=^%SubsandVals2%

                          H="_PerlRegScript"
                          #;5/14/03 version
                          use strict;
                          use Win32::TieRegistry;
                          #my $Branch=$ARGV[0];
                          my $Branch = <STDIN>;
                          chomp $Branch;
                          #double up slashes for use in tieregistry
                          $Branch =~ s/\\/\\\\/g;
                          my ($key, $valcount, @names, @namesunsort, @subbranches, @subbranches_unsort, $subkeycount);
                          my $keyq = qq(new Win32::TieRegistry "$Branch");
                          $key = eval($keyq);
                          #convert to familiar slashes for printing branch name
                          $Branch =~ s/\\\\/\\/g;
                          @namesunsort = $key->ValueNames;
                          @names = sort(@namesunsort);
                          $valcount = @names;
                          if ($valcount>0) {print "Show the $valcount Value Keys\n";}
                          @subbranches_unsort = $key->SubKeyNames;
                          @subbranches = sort(@subbranches_unsort);
                          $subkeycount = @subbranches;
                          #$subkeycount = $key->CntSubKeys;
                          #Problem! $subkeycount isn't working
                          if ($subkeycount = 0) {print "No Subkey Branches Found\n";}
                          else {
                          foreach $_(@subbranches){
                          print;
                          print "\n";
                          if ($valcount>0) {
                          print "XSEPX\n";
                          print "Return to Subkey Branch Display\n";
                          foreach $_(@names){
                          print;
                          print "\n";

                          H="_PerlRegValScript"
                          #;5/14/03 version
                          use strict;
                          use Win32::TieRegistry;
                          my ($key, $valueString, $valname, $valuetype, $Branch,);
                          #my $Branch=$ARGV[0];
                          #my $Branch = <STDIN>;
                          #chomp $Branch;
                          #double up slashes for use in tieregistry
                          while (<STDIN>) {
                          chomp; # avoid \n on last field
                          ($Branch, $valname) = split(/::/);
                          }
                          $Branch =~ s/\\/\\\\/g;
                          my $keyq = qq(new Win32::TieRegistry "$Branch");
                          $key = eval($keyq);
                          ($valueString,$valuetype) = $key->GetValue("$valname");
                          if ($valuetype == 3) {print "unprintable data, type $valuetype";}
                          elsif ($valuetype == 7) {print "unprintable data, type $valuetype";}
                          else {print "Data type\: ", $valuetype, "\n\nValue\: ", $valueString;}
                          #end of script
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 14, 2003
                            Hi again,

                            At 01:32 AM 5/14/03 -0700, you wrote:
                            >But I still don't know how to READ :-(

                            The following works (just change the regular clips to ^!RunPerl these alt versions instead of the other ones). It has all the same stuff in the use statement as yours, except I quickly discovered problems with using "/" (some subbranches have that in their name) as a delimiter and reverted to "\\". All I had to do was replace all my

                            "$key->" stuff

                            with

                            "$Registry->{"$Branch"}"

                            Doesn't even need the eval anymore; ditto for _AltPerlRegValScript further down.

                            Sheri

                            H="_AltPerlRegScript"
                            #;5/14/03 alternate version
                            @namesunsort = $Registry->{"$Branch"}->ValueNames;
                            @subbranches_unsort = $Registry->{"$Branch"}->SubKeyNames;
                            @subbranches = sort(@subbranches_unsort);
                            $subkeycount = @subbranches;
                            #Problem! $subkeycount isn't working
                            if ($subkeycount = 0) {print "No Subkey Branches Found\n";}
                            else {
                            foreach $_(@subbranches){
                            print;
                            print "\n";
                            if ($valcount>0) {
                            print "XSEPX\n";
                            print "Return to Subkey Branch Display\n";
                            foreach $_(@names){
                            print;
                            print "\n";

                            H="_AltPerlRegValScript"
                            #;5/14/03 alternate version
                            use strict;
                            my $Registry;
                            use Win32::TieRegistry 0.24 (
                            TiedRef => \$Registry, Delimiter => "\\\\", ArrayValues => 1,
                            SplitMultis => 1, AllowLoad => 1,
                            qw( REG_SZ REG_EXPAND_SZ REG_DWORD REG_BINARY REG_MULTI_SZ
                            KEY_READ KEY_WRITE KEY_ALL_ACCESS ),
                            );
                            my ($key, $valueString, $valname, $valuetype, $Branch,);
                            #double up slashes for use in tieregistry
                            while (<STDIN>) {
                            chomp; # avoid \n on last field
                            ($Branch, $valname) = split(/::/);
                            }
                            $Branch =~ s/\\/\\\\/g;
                            #my $keyq = qq(new Win32::TieRegistry "$Branch");
                            #$key = eval($keyq);
                            ($valueString,$valuetype) = $Registry->{"$Branch"}->GetValue("$valname");
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 15, 2003
                              On Wed, 14 May 2003 08:35:41 -0400, Sheri wrote:
                              >Hi Alan,
                              >
                              >At 01:06 AM 5/14/03 -0700, you wrote:
                              >
                              >>>Did you get a chance to try the other one, the custom
                              >>>function? I was curious if it works on winvers >�98se.
                              >>
                              >>Just did. �Win 2k. �Works fine on the first recurse it lists subs
                              >>as well as the data or value of a key.
                              >
                              >Hmmn. That one isn't supposed to be listing subs. You supply the
                              >sub, it lists the key names in a clip wizard.

                              Then what's a sub? I thought it be keys and *sub* keys as in

                              Key:
                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps

                              sub key underneath the above key:
                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps\app1

                              >Were you running my
                              >"Test GetRegSubKeys" ?

                              Yes.

                              >>But after choosing a key then it reports the value of key is:
                              >>
                              >>and its blank, nothing listed for value. �i look regedit there's
                              >>two values in the key that i picked with your clip
                              >
                              >Two values in a key? Maybe is a type the Notetab ^$GetRegValue$
                              >function doesn't read.

                              (if I have my terminology correct) Seems to me that Perl script the other day that created a few new keys did create that one of the keys created had three separate values in it (yes, some were binary probably unreadable by NoteTab). But,

                              It was a text value that I was speaking of that your clip displayed on first recurse only.

                              As I said, it was read on the first of several what I call recurses. For example, here what I did:

                              Actually it was a key the first time then run the clip. I Hard coded the next into the clip:

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps

                              run clip. clip dialog comes up with that in the dialog and selected. Then just ok the dialog. Next comes up yet another dialog that shows the initially entered item (can choose it), also shows (it's here the value and its content is shown) the value (registerednotregistered) AND sub keys so as to choose a sub key

                              Next, choose from items shown in wizard, choose and ok the same item as initially entered. it's the next dialog is when the listing is blank of any value.

                              So, this is what I meant by the statement: any value in the hard coded key is listed/shown on first recurse. Choose same key again and the listing/value_shown comes up blank.

                              (I substituted my name I don't really have an app authored by me) but just to show the structure of the reg keys I ran your clip on:

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps\app1

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps\app1
                              the value: registeredyesno textdataofyesorno

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps\app1\tips
                              the values: several values for tips 2 be displayed

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps\app2

                              hkey_current_user\software\myalancapps\app2\tips

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 15, 2003
                                Thanks Alan,

                                From what you've said, I think that the regedit export file must be a little different in Win 2k than my 98.

                                You should only see the names of Values in that second wizard, and not see or get to select again the branch or any subbranches. (I thought "Value Names" were called "Keys" when I wrote that clip).

                                I found a glitch in my Perl registry browser too. Turns out "default" Values are unnamed. A ^$StrTrim$ I was using in the clip was removing blank value names.

                                I've made some more changes in my Perl regbrowser and I'm not sure why, but multi's and binary values retrieved no longer crash the clip. Now multis display as "Array(...)" and binaries just show up blank.

                                Weird.

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 16, 2003
                                  Hi again Alan,

                                  Solved the problem of showing multi values such as the fonts entry for FooWriter. Have to refer to the valueString as an array if the data type is REG_MULTI_SZ, i.e., @$valueString.

                                  This version does that and depicts default value names as .Default in clip wizards (but retrieves the actual values using "").

                                  Sheri

                                  H="Browse Registry via Perl"
                                  ;Created by Sheri Pierce 5/10/03
                                  ;5/16/03 version
                                  ^!Info This clip captures the currently selected subkey branch and value key name on the clipboard.
                                  :Start
                                  ^!Set %Branch%=""
                                  ^!Set %curdoc%="^$GetDocName$"
                                  ^!SetWizardLabel
                                  ^!Set %Root%=HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|HKEY_CURRENT_USER|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|HKEY_USERS|HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
                                  ^!Set %Branch%="^?{(T=L;H=5)Enter Registry Branch=^%Root%}"
                                  ^!IfCancel Out
                                  ^!SetClipboard ^%Branch%
                                  :PerlSubs
                                  ^!Setscreenupdate off
                                  ^!Menu File/New
                                  ^!InsertText ^%Branch%
                                  ;^!RunPerl "PerlRegScript"
                                  ^!RunPerl "AltPerlRegScript"
[...]
                                  ^!IfMatch "No Subkey Branches Found" "^%chosen%" Skip_-5
                                  ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^%chosen%)$ Skip_-6
[...]
                                  ^!IfMatch "\.Default" "^%key%" Next Else Skip_1
                                  ^!Set %key%=""
                                  ^!SetClipboard ^%Branch%:^%key%
                                  :PerlInfo
                                  ^!Menu File/New
                                  ^!InsertText ^%Branch%::^%key%
                                  ;^!RunPerl "PerlRegValScript"
                                  ^!RunPerl "AltPerlRegValScript"
                                  ^!Set %ValViaPerl%=^$StrTrim(^$GetText$)$
                                  ^!IfFileExist ^$GetAppPath$StdError.err PerlError
                                  ^!DestroyDoc
                                  ^!SetDocIndex=^$GetDocIndex("^%curdoc%")$
                                  ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetRegValue("^%Branch%:^%key%")$)$ Next Else Skip_2
                                  ^!Info Notetab's ^^%caret%$GetRegValue$ function doesn't read this key!^PRegistry Value via Perl^P=^P^%ValViaPerl%
                                  ^!Goto Skip_1
                                  ^!Info Registry Value via Notetab GetRegValue (seems to work only when the value contains string or decimal value)^P =^P ^$GetRegValue("^%Branch%:^%key%")$^P===^PRegistry Value via Perl^P=^P^%ValViaPerl%
                                  ^!Goto Dovals
                                  :Out
                                  ^!Info Reminder: the last used branch and valuekey (if any) is on the clipboard.
                                  ^!ClearVariable %PassBranch%
                                  ^!Goto End
                                  :PerlError
                                  ^!Info Sorry, there was a Perl Error.
                                  ^!Open ^$GetAppPath$StdError.err

                                  H="_BrowseRegSubClip"
                                  ^!SetListDelimiter ^P
                                  ^!SetArray %Subkeys%=^%SubsandVals1%
                                  ^!SetArray %Valkeys%=^%SubsandVals2%

                                  H="_AltPerlRegScript"
                                  #;5/16/03 alternate version
                                  my ($cntSubKeys,$valcount, @names, @namesunsort, @subbranches, @subbranches_unsort, $subkeycount);
                                  @namesunsort = $Registry->{"$Branch"}->ValueNames;
                                  @names = sort(@namesunsort);
                                  $valcount = @names;
                                  if ($valcount>0) {print "Show the $valcount Value Keys\n";}
                                  @subbranches_unsort = $Registry->{"$Branch"}->SubKeyNames;
                                  @subbranches = sort(@subbranches_unsort);
                                  $cntSubKeys = @subbranches;
                                  #%keyInfo= $Registry->{"$Branch"}->Information;
                                  #Alternate way to get counts
                                  #( $cntSubKeys )= $Registry->{"$Branch"}->Information( "CntSubKeys" );
                                  #print "cntSubKeys is $cntSubKeys\n";
                                  #$savecnt = $cntSubKeys;
                                  if ($cntSubKeys == 0) {print "No Subkey Branches Found\n";}
                                  else {
                                  foreach $_(@subbranches){
                                  print;
                                  print "\n";
                                  if ($valcount>0) {
                                  print "XSEPX\n";
                                  print "_Return to Subkey Branch Display \($cntSubKeys\)\n";
                                  foreach $_(@names){
                                  if ($_ ne "") {print "$_\n";}
                                  else {print "\.Default\n";}

                                  H="_AltPerlRegValScript"
                                  #;5/16/03 alternate version
                                  use strict;
                                  my $Registry;
                                  use Win32::TieRegistry 0.24 (
                                  TiedRef => \$Registry, Delimiter => "\\\\", ArrayValues => 1,
                                  SplitMultis => 1, AllowLoad => 1,
                                  qw( REG_SZ REG_EXPAND_SZ REG_DWORD REG_BINARY REG_MULTI_SZ
                                  KEY_READ KEY_WRITE KEY_ALL_ACCESS ),
                                  );
                                  my ($valueString, $valname, $valuetype, $Branch,);
                                  #my $Branch=$ARGV[0];
                                  #my $Branch = <STDIN>;
                                  #chomp $Branch;
                                  #double up slashes for use in tieregistry
                                  while (<STDIN>) {
                                  chomp; # avoid \n on last field
                                  ($Branch, $valname) = split(/::/);
                                  }
                                  $Branch =~ s/\\/\\\\/g;
                                  ($valueString,$valuetype) = $Registry->{"$Branch"}->GetValue("$valname");
                                  if (($valuetype =~ /MULTI/) or ($valuetype == 7)) {print "Data type\: ", $valuetype, "\nValue\: ", @$valueString;}
                                  else {print "Data type\: ", $valuetype, "\nValue\: ", $valueString;}
                                  #end of script