[NTS] cpan .pm on Windows was Re: [Clip] Ad hoc Perl Regexp Replacements

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      Hi (4 anyone interested, cpan module installation success on Windows activestate perl) (quoted according to sequential order) (I'm unquoted at very bottom such as: Alan C. wrote),

      2-28-2003 Alan C. wrote:
      On my ActiveState Perl 5.61 build 633 Win 2k SP2

      Cpan has stuff (the latest things) you can't get anywhere else, not available as ActiveState package etc. (some/portion of it be listed as beta)

      i learning Perl more, just trying with xml, (web services seem cool so does data storage and manipulation)

      Well, yesterday I finally got around to it: I used the procedure listed by Mr. Adkins above with very great success on two Cpan modules. I did everything except I did not do the make clean (I don't even know what that is) (since I'd actually followed instructions from here:
      http://perl.about.com/library/weekly/aa030500a.htm

      which match what Mr. Adkins listed except for the make clean

      I used a recent version of WinZip to handle/extract/unzip the tar.gz file.

      http://search.cpan.org/author/RBERJON/XML-SAX-Expat-0.35/

      http://search.cpan.org/author/KMACLEOD/libxml-perl-0.07/

      those R the 2 modules that I did, used its little "download" link up near the top, I right clicked, chose "save target as"

      I extracted the Microsoft nmake and its err (2 files to my perl\bin folder since such folder is already in my search path).

      I have a "command line here" as an option in my Windows explorer, the right click context menu (power tool item I got from somewhere) makes easy to be in the working directory (root folder obtained from consequence of WinZip useage) so that correct files are operated on when issuing those (nmake, get it made and installed) commands as directed above.

      BTW I (prior to using the above nmake method to manually install) I first tried to use cpan.pm (perldoc cpan) which is a (native activestate installed) shell for cpan. Maybe some Guru from somewhere could get it configured right on Windows. But it just made a mess for me, mirrored files all over the place and ten jillion errors etc. etc. etc. and didn't get anything installed.

      --
      Later. Alan.