widget demo launches with runperl

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2003
      Hi Sheri if you're out there,

      in my perl\bin folder i just spotted

      widget

      widget.bat

      the 1st is the perl file the latter is the .bat file
      ----

      another potential use I thought of for runperl:

      series of shell scripts so to speak, launched from one script file.

      user on Linux has jillions of one liner command line entered command(s)

      so in Linux, can create a file with several or more of these one liner command line lines in the file, chmod x and U have one executable file called a shell script file--it's a power tool that runs multiple tasks for the user.

      in Windows, most people probably use macros or power something or other. I have EZ Macros from American Systems. You have power pro or similar, right?

      But these consume sys resource when in tray. i don't keep mine in tray i leave it off most the time, turn on only when I use it. i haven't even learned how to use it very well yet.

      (probably could do it with batch files or NoteTab) Nonetheless, Well, I could use that runperl way--create it so that have just 1 file to launch and the result of that would 1. launch NoteTab 2. dial up to internet 3. bring into NoteTab the current local weather from the www 4. launch my email client and retrieve my email 5. launch my web browser and have it browse to a favorite www site

      I could do it with the EZ Macros but I haven't learned how. I'd have a better chance of doing it with runperl and a batch file with lines of commands that would set off all of the other commands needed to accomplish the above.

      just a possible use of runperl. Now then, I'm back to study for my class, learning my Unix/Linux.