Re: [Clip] Dialog for processing Perl RegExp Replacements on open documents

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003

      Interesting idea to: from Perl, specifically from your sub routine named SaveVariables, call (via commandline) the NoteTab clip that then runs the perl on the current document.

      It all seems to work pretty well. Performs rather quick on a not too large doc.

      So, you wrote a software application that integrates with NoteTab. Congratulations! There's power to be had with Perl.

      You're over my head with the Perl stuff at this point. I'm just begin to get into array and hash let alone your reference, object oriented, namespaces, scalability that Perl has, and whatever else

      Does it write to disk/ini each time the replace button is clicked? Or does it only write it if the value(s) have changed from the last button click?

      Mostly just merely comments follow--no reply needed, ignore portions or all of them if you choose.

      A lot of if elseif if if in a row in that one sub. dunno, but my teacher might recommend a switching or emulated case statement instead (not that it needs be changed--it works good and there's more than one way to do it--teach's reason probly or might be the self documenting code sort of thing--ease 4 a different programmer to step right into, access your code

      Your code works very good. A bit hard to follow though (what does it do along the way) without pseudo code

      It's rather efficient with my system resources, that's cool, very cool!

      Took me a moment to catch on to click the taskbar minimizes the dialog

      Probably capability of, in addition to works on current doc, a replace in files feature and a word boundary feature. While I'm at it: a perl/tk visual displayer feature so as to: in a tk widget, display the text and searched for words, the searched for words show up highlighted in color (bright yellow)--the Vim or Gvim editor has such a feature.

      I see you made your own dialog instead of using tk::searchdialog module.

      In addition to Config::IniFiles module that I'd previously installed, I also needed to install Win32::API module. Win 2k latest build of ActiveState Perl 5.61 (not yet the Perl 5.8 -- I need more round toits every day). dunno if W2k any different default module(s) than your OS.

      I wish I had more time. I want to learn Perl/Tk when I the time. My Linux/Unix class going well--after month or two gets into basics of C programming and some Perl

      I can only handle so much learning at once. If I attempt too much all at once I get fragmented.