Re: [NTS] Re: Source Code Management

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2002
      Hello Sheri,

      >If you use a clip to retrieve the text in a clip or an outline topic,
      >and assign that text to a variable, that's when it is subject to
      >being misinterpreted.

      Sheri, my apologies; I wasn't specific enough. I meant execute/launch the non executable or round dot clip, not retrieve its content into variable.

      Probably what I intended to mean amounts to being mute anyway. Nonetheless . . .

      As to what I meant: As an experiment, in your Clipcode Syntax 3b library, I added the following new clip (purposely meant to be non executable)

      H="tlbrjoinline"
      !ToolBar Join Lines

      Also, under the Commands section of clip assistant, I edited the Toolbar heading to look like this next

      H="Toolbar"
      ^!FarClip "Clipcode Syntax:tlbrjoinline"

      I then had to close and reopen the quicklist (evidently so as to re load my edited changes into memory)

      And I discovered that CA works with farclip

      But it appears to me that Eric approached it very similarly (how caret is handled)--the exception being that containment of the data was kept to the ClipHelp.clh file instead of out sourcing via farclip to external data clips.

      H="tlbrjoinline"
      ;^!ToolBar Join Lines

      farclip like that then remove the semicolon? I Haven't tried it; just thinking out loud.

      Thinking out loud again, I need to study Wayne's new menu commands clip some more: it somehow pastes from a non executable clip then searchs using delimiters to find category(s). And a specific category via delimiter(s) also has its own sub category(s).

      --
      Thanks. Alan.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2002
        Hi Alan,

        and you said:
        >I meant execute/launch the non executable or round dot
        >clip, not retrieve its content into variable.

        >Probably what I intended to mean amounts to being mute
        >anyway. Nonetheless . .

        Well, I learned one thing, I never paid too much attention
        to the symbols in the clipbook. The round dot, versus the
        exclamation versus the + (when there's a ^&)

        Since I have been dealing with clipcode as though it were
        text, I probably encountered problems that wouldn't occur
        using other kinds of source code.

        >As to what I meant: As an experiment, in your Clipcode
        >Syntax 3b library, I added the following new clip
        >(purposely meant to be non executable)
        >
        >H="tlbrjoinline"
        >!ToolBar Join Lines
        >
        >Also, under the Commands section of clip assistant, I
        >edited the Toolbar heading to look like this next
        >
        >H="Toolbar"
        >^!FarClip "Clipcode Syntax:tlbrjoinline"
        >
        >I then had to close and reopen the quicklist (evidently so
        >as to re load my edited changes into memory)

        only if you're running it in the Quick list.

        That's the nice thing about going the other way, FarClip
        from clipbook and put on the clipbar. You don't need to be
        displaying the CA in Quick list and changes take place
        immediately, at least with the clip I've been working on.

        >And I discovered that CA works with farclip

        and back again. I tried what you did, but executed it in
        a FarClip to CA from the same library!

        And here's a new find. I ran a clip (using Farclip) in my
        otl outline file. I picked a lousy one to try this on:
        ^!Close. The content of the clip is:

        ^!Close [ALL,SAVE|DISCARD]

        Now you might think that would generate an error, or only
        close one document. It closed them all. I'm not sure if
        it saved or discarded changes. I don't think I was in a
        position to lose much at the time, but none of the files
        went on the Reopen list.

        >But it appears to me that Eric approached it very
        >similarly (how caret is handled)--the exception being that
        >containment of the data was kept to the ClipHelp.clh file
        >instead of out sourcing via farclip to external data
        >clips.

        Above, I don't see what you mean. Eric used ^!InserText in
        the cliphelp clips. He might have had less trouble if he
        used ^!InsertCode lol.

        H="tlbrjoinline"
        ;^!ToolBar Join Lines

        farclip like that then remove the semicolon? I Haven't
        tried it; just thinking out loud.

        Lines that start with a semicolon are comments, even in
        round dot clips. Far clipping doesn't change that.
        Running such a clip doesn't give you any string to
        manipulate. And lines that start with semicolons are
        probably not unique to clipcode. So using the "execute"
        method to paste source code is probably not the best way
        to go.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2002

          >>I then had to close and reopen the quicklist (evidently so
          >>as to re load my edited changes into memory)
          >
          >only if you're running it in the Quick list.

          Ya, I hadn't picked up on that until you pointed it out. Well, that was the very first time ever that I had edited ClipHelp.clh

          >And here's a new find. I ran a clip (using Farclip) in my
          >otl outline file. I picked a lousy one to try this on:
          >^!Close. The content of the clip is:
          >
          >^!Close [ALL,SAVE|DISCARD]
          >
          >Now you might think that would generate an error, or only
          >close one document. It closed them all. I'm not sure if

          SampleCode library near bottom of combobox under miscellaneous: Farclip demo2 uses a .dat file extension. But I've used it with nearly any extension such as .txt Say, along those lines, I bet it would work with a .otl extension :-)

          With farclip and a path and H="name" then appears an .otl would be (perhaps too :-)) nearly the same as the .dat file that's in Ntab samples folder.

          >>But it appears to me that Eric approached it very
          >>similarly (how caret is handled)--the exception being that
          >>containment of the data was kept to the ClipHelp.clh file
          >>instead of out sourcing via farclip to external data
          >>clips.
          >
          >Above, I don't see what you mean. Eric used ^!InserText in
          >the cliphelp clips. He might have had less trouble if he
          >used ^!InsertCode lol.

          H=";Internal Usage"

          H="_~Circonflex"
          ^!InsertText ^

          H="_~Calculate"
          ^!Clip ~Circonflex
          ^!InsertText $Calc(^%Expression%)$
          ^!Goto Exit

          H="_~Date"
          ^!Clip ~Circonflex
          ^!InsertText $GetDate(^%Expression%)$
          ^!Goto Exit

          Those above from near the very bottom of ClipHelp.clh

          Whose work is that? I assumed it to be Eric's. The caret or circonflex or whatever it's called (^) is inserted first by itself then control returns to parent clip in order to insert further text (as opposed to farclip to a round dot clip for/to obtain and insert the further text).

          Might've been made at earlier version of Ntab prior to development/addition of insertcode commands.

          >H="tlbrjoinline"
          >;^!ToolBar Join Lines
          >
          >farclip like that then remove the semicolon? I Haven't
          >tried it; just thinking out loud.
          >
          >Lines that start with a semicolon are comments, even in
          >round dot clips. Far clipping doesn't change that.

          oops. That's right, Ntab parser strips out line that begin with ;

          However, I tried it begin line with either a . or a space does work such as

          .^!ToolBar Join Lines

          After code inserted from storage clip into doc, is there a trim or something that would remove a leading space?

          >Running such a clip doesn't give you any string to
          >manipulate.

          (How, I've *not yet* a clue) But, well, I was toying with the idea to 1st manipulate in other ways so as to at the last step after all the choices/criteria then it sources the/a particular specified/needed round dot clip.

          >And lines that start with semicolons are
          >probably not unique to clipcode.

          In the round dot storage clips, a leading space on each line works around that.

          I'm not trying to sway you or anyone in any certain direction. But others have observed and mentioned to me that I like to remain open to possibilities.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17, 2002
            Hi Alan,

            > Whose work is that? I assumed it to be Eric's. The caret or
            circonflex or whatever it's called (^) is inserted first by itself
            then control returns to parent clip in order to insert further text
            (as opposed to farclip to a round dot clip for/to obtain and insert
            the further text).

            > Might've been made at earlier version of Ntab prior to
            development/addition of insertcode commands.

            Yes those are Eric's clip. I opened a can of many worms when I
            altered the ParamCommand and ParamFunction ones to remove their ^!
            Goto Exits :D

            > After code inserted from storage clip into doc, is there a trim or
            something that would remove a leading space?

            Ok, I getcha, I'm sure it could have been done, maybe easier, maybe
            not. Another thing about editing a document versus manipulating a
            string is the difference in number of undo's to remove it. Its kind
            of nice if after a running a clip, you can remove its effects with
            one undo.

            > I'm not trying to sway you or anyone in any certain direction. But
            others have observed and mentioned to me that I like to remain open
            to possibilities.

            I think they are good ideas, and maybe a good use will come up to try
            that.

            Thanks,