489Probably a basic regexp question on ^[^,]

  • mycroftj
    Jan 28, 2011
      I HOPE this is not something I should easily see.

      I am using NTL 6.2

      This is the FIND command, not a clip.
      I wanted a regular expression to find lines that did not begin with a comma.

      I did NOT mess around with look aheads because I thought ^[^,] would work but each click of the FIND NEXT button finds every character on a line up to the end of the line or a comma. ^, finds each line that DOES begin with a comma so why doesn't the negation work?

      In a similar way, why does ^[adfg] find the first a in asefasdf (which I expected) and the first d in the next line (which I expected) but also all the rest of the chars in dgdfgdf? I thought this would find a,d,f or g if they were the first char on a line.

      Thanks for explaining!

      Joy

      sample data.....

      asefasdf
      dgdfgdf
      fjfgh
      g1hjkghj
      g2hjghj
      g3hj
      dfdfg

      "Prefix","First Name","Middle Name","Last Name"
      ,"Tax,",,"Cappelle, Paul",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      PPPP
      State
      "Prefix","First Name","Middle Name","Last Name"
      ,"Tax,",,"Cappelle, Paul",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      PPPP
      State
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic