481Is it possible to do a multi line find upto a blank line?

  • mycroftj
    Oct 13, 2010
      Is it possible to do a FIND given a last name and date that will select an entire 'group' from the last name up to the blank line after the 'group'?

      For example, given the following data to be searched, I'd like to search for Zanger and 06/29/90 and have everything found and selected from 'ZANGER, MARK AND MARY' to the blank line after 'This is group 2'. I don't really care if the trailing blank line is selected or not.

      What I'm aiming for is to have search criteria such as
      NAPOLEON,05/31/90
      ZANGER,08.29.91
      in one document and the following data in another document.

      I'd like a newly created document with everything from 'group 1' and 'group 4' including the search terms so it would look like my 'results'.

      Thanks!

      Joy

      results
      -----------
      NAPOLEON,05/31/90
      NAPOLEON, CYNTHIA 05/31/90
      KW880 IN FRONT DOOR 20
      KW880 IN GARAGE DOOR 25
      SL DOOR LOCK 10
      REKEY KW400 7
      This is group 1.

      ZANGER,08/29/91
      ZANGER, PETE AND JUNE 08/29/91
      KW880-3 IN GARAGE DOOR 25
      REKEY KW400 TO KW880 (UN MULTI) 7
      SINGLE CYL HANDLE SET (US2090-S-H-3) WITH 2 3/4 DI BOLT (24316) 110
      FERUM KNOCKER 10
      INSTALL THEIR KICK PLATE 13
      This is group 4

      -----------------

      data to be searched
      ====================
      NAPOLEON, CYNTHIA 05/31/90
      KW880 IN FRONT DOOR 20
      KW880 IN GARAGE DOOR 25
      SL DOOR LOCK 10
      REKEY KW400 7
      This is group 1.

      ZANGER, MARK AND MARY 06/29/90
      KW880-3 IN GARAGE DOOR 25
      REKEY KW400 TO KW880 (UN MULTI) 7
      SINGLE CYL HANDLE SET (US2090-S-H-3) WITH 2 3/4 DI BOLT (24316) 110
      FERUM KNOCKER 10
      INSTALL THEIR KICK PLATE 13
      This is group 2

      NAPOLEON, CYNTHIA 07/01/90
      KW880 IN GARAGE DOOR 25
      KW885 IN SIDE DOOR 30
      REKEY TWO KW400 (UN MULTI) 24
      This is a comment which can go for one or more lines.
      Each group of records is followed by a blank line.
      This is group 3

      ZANGER, PETE AND JUNE 08/29/91
      KW880-3 IN GARAGE DOOR 25
      REKEY KW400 TO KW880 (UN MULTI) 7
      SINGLE CYL HANDLE SET (US2090-S-H-3) WITH 2 3/4 DI BOLT (24316) 110
      FERUM KNOCKER 10
      INSTALL THEIR KICK PLATE 13
      This is group 4

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic