364[NTS] Re: Dot matching newlines??

    Nov 1, 2007
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C" <acummingsus@...> wrote:

      > Me too. For example, in Perl, to enable matching across multiple
      > lines, an option is used/added at the end of the regex (whether
      > it be a match or a substitution).
      >
      > Which makes me wonder if this is a "difference" (not 100% "Perl"
      > compatible) or if there is another explanation ie Notetab uses
      > internal (tokens or something or other) for substitution -- pcre
      > only applies to the match side of an expression in Notetab. Or,
      > do I have some of this backwards?

      Perl supports internal and external options. PCRE also supports
      internal and external options, but leaves the interface up to the
      calling program. PHP, which also uses PCRE, uses pattern delimiters
      similar to Perl. The only external option NoteTab exposes to the user
      is exact vs caseless matching. And that is done by way of checkbox in
      the dialog or as an option letter for the clip commands (not as a
      letter outside a pattern delimiter). NoteTab is likely using some PCRE
      external options itself (like setting multiline by default). The user
      has access to only to internal option settings (except caselessness
      where you can use either one).

      > pcre only applies to the match side of an expression in Notetab.
      > Or, do I have some of this backwards?

      no, that's correct.