260Re: [NTS] The ANSI 26 character

    Dec 21, 2003
      Hi Alan,

      Thanks for posting your experience, was wondering if you'd tried it.

      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Alan C." <acumming@c...> wrote:

      > But I was just to tinker tried yours and for whatever reason the
      doc got emptied was the result.
      > Haven't a clue why they'd run on yours and not mine. Oh, they run
      here -- but they just empty the doc.

      That sounds really strange Alan, unless you had a missing semicolon
      or something. I just cut and pasted from my prior email to a new
      notetab file and ran your

      (incl new line after the 222)
      and the output is shown after the end of this message.

      Is the StdError.err have a clue or is it missing as well? The posted
      script of mine that included use strict and use warnings does give a
      warning in Stderror.err for me, looks like this:

      Argument "" isn't numeric in addition (+) at D:\PROGRA~1\NOTETA~2
      \Scripts\figures3.pl line 31, <> line 4.

      My memory is failing badly too, but there was a reason I used the chr
      (26) instead of escaping the box character. I think it was not just
      because it wouldn't show up on Yahoo or in email. The character as I
      recall, is the same as a Ctrl+Z, which in Dos/Windows has always
      meant "end of file". So if you substituted the actual character
      (even escaped) in your script, it could lead to unexpected results
      if your command interpreter redefines it to mean "end of file" <g>

      Output of script using the data above:

      This way (using while) needs new lines
      (not sure why? could just add \n's)
      This way (using foreach) doesn't need new lines
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic