Alternative CHM readers

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2012
      Hi

      I found a very simple PDF reader, actually too simple for my taste.
      But, it also reads CHM files and it has what looks like nicer
      bookmarking feature than the default viewer (you can have the
      bookmarks visible all the time in a docked window). I haven't tried
      it much yet but find it nice enough. Anyway, it's small, it's free as
      in Open Source, it can be installed as a standalone app and it's
      better than the MS viewer.
      http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

      Maybe there are lots of alternate CHM viewers, it has never occurred
      to me to look for such a thing before. Encouraged by my first finding
      I searched a little and quickly found kchmviewer. It's larger but
      also OS and it has - tabs! I.e. you can have several pages open at
      once and flip between them. Yummy!
      http://www.ulduzsoft.com/kchmviewer/

      Just sharing.
      Lotta
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2012
        Thank you!

        I had tried Sumatra for a short time, was not all that impressed, but
        did not realise that it could read CHM files too. Of kchmviewer I had
        never heard at all.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2012
          Gerard Huijing wrote:
          >I had tried Sumatra for a short time, was not all that impressed, but
          >did not realise that it could read CHM files too. Of kchmviewer I had
          >never heard at all.

          I like kchmviewer already (after using it about 10 minutes) but alas
          I've discovered a less good thing with it. When you use the ordinary
          viewer and click, say, a variable name in the value and then bookmark
          it, the bookmark is named by the variable name by default. With kchm
          the bookmark gets the name of the page and you have to rename it
          yourself. It does bookmark the right spot, it's just a bother to type
          the name yourself.

          Maybe there are even better viewers to be found. Let's hunt!

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2012
            I wrote:
            >When you use the ordinary
            >viewer and click, say, a variable name in the value

            Jesus, I'm tired. A variable name in the MENU.