9237Re: Do I have a 64 bit system?

  • john041650
    Oct 5, 2012
      The following was snagged from the fastpictureviewer web site.

      How do I know whether my version of Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit?

      Windows 7 or Windows Vista:
      Click Start.
      Right-click Computer.
      Choose Properties from the context menu.
      In the "System" section, look for "System Type." It will say either "32-bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System."

      Windows XP:
      Click Start.
      Right-click My Computer.
      Choose Properties from the context menu.
      Look just below the "Microsoft Windows XP" label for the particular edition of XP (for example, "Professional x64 Edition" or "Home"). If the edition contains the word "x64" then your machine has a 64-bit version of Windows XP."

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > This may sound stupid, but that's because I am pretty stupid around
      > hardware. I've had this machine for some years now and I've always
      > assumed it's 32 bit. But a while ago I noticed something, I've
      > forgotten what, that made me think it's not. Half a year or so later
      > I have finally gotten around to trying to find out. Well, it works,
      > so what? :-)
      >
      > OK, the OS is XP Home, that much I know. When I go to Control Panel |
      > System | System Properties I learn that my processor is Athlon 64 XP
      > Dual Core Processor 5600+. That sounds vaguely familiar and it also
      > sounds like 64 bit, right?
      >
      > But if I go to Program | Accessories | System Tools | System
      > Information it says "System Type: X86-based PC". THAT sounds like 32 bit.
      >
      > So what the heck is it?
      >
      > Lotta

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic