9196Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

    Feb 7, 2012
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer.
      > Text boxes overlap. The graphic is not centered.

      Yes, it's an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read
      without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different
      Word installations, sometimes a different installed printer suffices. I
      tried Microsoft Office 2003 just now, and while better it does not
      render like your PDF.

      Doc is a raw format for work in progress, no exchange format for
      finished documents, but Microsoft users will never get that.

      > I wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most
      > current Adobe Reader and earlier versions of it going back at
      > least as far as version 6.

      An unqualified yes. It's version 1.4 for Readers 5 and up and I've never
      found OO-written pdfs to give any trouble in any reader. The same is not
      true for one generated by Adobe programs, like Microsoft they don't feel
      much bound by their own documented standards.

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68