[wine] Unresolved Issues of NoteTab on Wine

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 21 8:31 PM
      This topic will include known issues of running NoteTab on Wine.

      Items in this thread will become part of our eventual FAQ.

      Before posting on this thread, make sure there is not a solution or
      workaround to your issue in the thread "[wine] Tips for configuring
      wine for NoteTab".

      When you post, please include all relevant information, as there are
      lots of variables here. The minimum of information to include about
      your system is the following:

      Hardware:
      Processor: Intel, AMD, 32-bit, 64-bit, RISC, etc.
      RAM: Be sure you have the minimum recommended on WineHQ or your
      Operating System.
      Other Info:
      Operating System:
      Linux: What Distribution, such as Slackware or Ubuntu, and
      version. Also what kernel, 2.4, 2.6, etc. A 2.6 Kernel seems to make a
      big difference over a 2.4 kernel. Be specific.
      Unix: What Distribution, such as BSD (Free, Open, etc.), AIX, SCO
      (it could happen), etc., and version.
      Mac: What version, pre OSX is not based on BSD.
      Other: Be specific.
      NOTE: Virtualisation using Qemu, VMWare, XEN, Parallels, etc. is
      not for this topic. Virtualisation will be covered in separate
      threads. For the really complex of Wine in a virtualised environment,
      would be yet another set of threads.
      NoteTab:
      Variety: Light (trial mode or not), Standard, Pro
      Version: 4.95, 5.4 (Be Specific)
      Wine:
      Version: 0.9.45, for example.
      Package or Compiled: Is this a package for your distribution, or
      did you compile it from source. If your compiled it from source, make
      sure there is not a problem with dependencies, etc. before posting on
      this thread.
      NOTE: Often, issues are resolved with newer versions of Wine. It
      is recommended that you can uninstall Wine before installing a new
      Wine package, to make sure it is not a problem there. This will not
      affect your .wine directory.

      Once you have the specifics of the system, please indicate the nature
      of the problem. It is a basic use of the editor, or using a particular
      clip, or certain key or mouse combinations that do not work as in
      Windows. Be sure to verify that the "problem" works in a real Windows
      environment as you expect it to work in Wine.

      Yes, this is a lot of information to gather, but if you are serious
      about improving the way NoteTab works in Wine, the Wine developers
      will require as much detail as possible. As one who does computer
      support for a living, "It doesn't work.", is too vague. Programmers
      need specifics, or they have no idea where to look in the source code
      for problems.

      This is a civil list, so you will not be ridiculed for not being
      detailed. You will be asked for specifics until there is enough
      information to make a report of an issue an "official" part of the
      Unresolved Issues" thread.

      Please advise of any type of information I may have overlooked, or
      that needs clarification. I do not have a Mac, nor have I used one in
      the last 20 years, so I will have to defer to those that know Macs,
      like I know Windows.

      Here is the current list of unresolved issues. Please provide more
      details, so we can flesh them out. My comments are in []

      1.) The main problem I am still having is the cursor movement at the
      top and bottom of the screen. [I have seen this on the bottom of the
      screen when typing, or moving the cursor, it does not appear to
      highlight the last line of a file. If you copy & paste, it does have
      it, or if you start typing the cursor is at the end. I have not seen
      this as much on wine 0.9.44 on Slackware 12, 2.6 Kernel, Intel 1 GHz,
      256 MB RAM. Please advise what system details are involved besides
      Ubuntu 7.04. I know I had this at the bottom of the screen on
      Slackware 10.2 & 11 with 2.4 Kernel and wine 0.9.16. I also had this
      on Fedora Core 3 & 4, not sure of Kernel. I do not recall seeing this
      at the top of the screen on any of these. Larry Hamilton]

      2.) Drag & Drop not working, even after follow settings on Graphics
      tab in winecfg. Ubuntu 7.04. Workaround: shift + arrow keys, shift +
      page down. [This may be an issue with the configuration of X. More
      information needed. Larry Hamilton]

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 21 9:40 PM
        System specs:

        Computer: custom build (2.5 years old)
        Processor: Intel P4 2.8Ghz
        RAM: 1 GB
        Graphics: nVidia G-Force MX-4000
        Hard drive: 250GB

        OS: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 (dual boots with XP Pro)
        Kernel: 2.6 [had to install modutils to get this info]
        Wine Version: 0.9.41.0ubuntu2~feisty1
        NoteTab: Light v.4.95 (since 2002)

        Here are the glitches/annoyances I experienced when I tried to update a
        site with NoteTab/Wine earlier this evening:

        1. No Drag and Drop [*(native, built-in) did not fix this for me]
        Ctrl X and Ctrl V are workarounds.

        2. This is a biggie: Search and Replace will not "Find Next". It
        will "Replace All". It just won't allow a selective replacement.
        Clicking on "Find Next" pops up a box "Not Found" do you want to start
        from the beginning of the document yada, yada . . . Then it doesn't
        find anything. [Manual replacement sucks]

        3. Adding fonts to the .fonts folder in the home/user directory screws
        up the fonts in the NoteTab. I had to rename the .fonts folder to get
        the fonts in NoteTab readable.

        4. Join lines doesn't work - option grayed out.

        5. Save all doesn't work - option grayed out.

        6. Word Wrap doesn't toggle - stays wrapped.

        7. Tabs do not indicate files that have been edited and need to be
        saved with the appropriate color change.

        8. Sometimes unable to save edited files - option grayed out. Have to
        exit NoteTab to get a popup "Do you want to save" dialog.

        9. Cursor unstable and flickers when selecting text. [very
        distracting]

        10. Selecting blocks of text requires shift plus down arrow to get
        past bottom of the window. Very difficult to control cursor movement
        when doing this.

        Many error windows keep popping up. Some are quite persistent and
        show-stopping. These two appear most frequently:

        1. Access violation at address xxxxxxx in module Riched20.dll

        2. External exception 80000101

        I have not yet tried "Replace All' over multiple documents or "Search
        Disk".

        Note: I use NoteTab for creating and editing websites (some quite
        large) so need the ability to markup content efficiently, move text
        around, search and replace (sometimes over many pages). While I do
        have a few PasteClips, I do not really use regex or clips.

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 21 10:12 PM

          > System specs:
          >
          > Computer: custom build (2.5 years old)
          > Processor: Intel P4 2.8Ghz
          > RAM: 1 GB
          > Graphics: nVidia G-Force MX-4000
          > Hard drive: 250GB
          >
          > OS: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 (dual boots with XP Pro)
          > Kernel: 2.6 [had to install modutils to get this
          > info]
          > Wine Version: 0.9.41.0ubuntu2~feisty1
          > NoteTab: Light v.4.95 (since 2002)

          It's late and I'm tired, but there is a command to get
          the kernel information without installing modutils.
          I'll look it up later this weekend. I will add a post
          on how to get this information out of Linux.

          I suggest that you try NoteTab Light 5.x. Install it
          to a different directory, so it does not interfere
          with 4.95. See if that makes any difference to any of
          the issues you are having. If it helps anything, let
          us know. I do not believe the thread for this on the
          NoteTab Basic list mentioned versions of NoteTab. We
          should have gotten this and could have tried it.

          The other piece is that you have wine 0.9.41. Current
          is 0.9.45.

          I have 0.9.44 and am running NoteTab Pro 5.4.

          I have NoteTab Light 5.4 and the drag and drop does
          not work for me either. Slackware 12, kernel 2.6,
          intel 810 video, dual-boot with WinXP SP2. It seems to
          flash at me. Double-click does not highlight a word.
          NoteTab Light and Standard share the same input
          control, Pro is different. This may be the source of
          some of all the issues you are experiencing.

          If we cannot get Light working well under Linux, then
          it could be a show stopper to those checking it out.
          Now I understand the source of your frustration.

          For thoroughness, I installed NoteTab Light 4.95, and
          double-click and drag and drop do not work either. I
          did not have time to try all of the other issues you
          reported.

          I started Light 4.95 from a command prompt and had a
          whole slew of messages from wine:

          "fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common ..." The ...
          represents detail on the piece of the richedit.dll
          that has not yet been implemented in Wine.

          One possible solution would be to copy the
          richedit.dll and richedit32.dll to Wine and see if
          that resolves the issue. I do not have time to reboot
          to get into Windows right now.

          The good news is that this is a limitation of Wine and
          not a problem with NoteTab Light. Since Standard
          shares the same input control as Light, they should
          both have the same issue.

          I suggest that you run NoteTab Light 4.95 and 5.x from
          a command line then exit to see if there are any
          messages like the one I listed.

          If it is any consolation, richedit*.dll caused
          problems in Windows in years past, back to Win95/98.

          I am also posting this to both the NoteTab basic list
          to make sure the details of your issues are available
          there.

          Let me know what you find out.

          Thanks for the details!

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 21 11:15 PM
            --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

            > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
            There is one configuration thing I thought of. I had to put this out
            there before I could let this go and get some sleep.

            Using winecfg, you can specify on the Applications tab, what version
            of Windows to mimic.

            Highlight the program, or add it to the list so it can be highlighted,
            then specify the version of Windows to use for that program. There is
            a drop down on the lower right-hand corner of the screen on the
            Applications tab.

            The default is Windows 2000, but Win98 is pretty solid. Windows 2000
            emulation is near native in the last year or so.

            I tried changing it to Win98, and it did not make any difference.

            I then tried specifically tweaking how NoteTab Light uses riched20.dll
            and riched32.dll. Still no joy.

            I think this is one case where using an actual Windows dll will make
            the difference. If you copy the one from WinXP, you will want to set
            the application to act like Win2K or WinXP. Win2K may work better.

            I'll try it on my system later this weekend.

            The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

            Larry Hamitlon
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 22 10:39 AM
              --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

              > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- sisterscape <sisterscape@> wrote:
              > There is one configuration thing I thought of. I had to put this out
              > there before I could let this go and get some sleep.
              >
              > Using winecfg, you can specify on the Applications tab, what version
              > of Windows to mimic.
              >
              > Highlight the program, or add it to the list so it can be highlighted,
              > then specify the version of Windows to use for that program. There is
              > a drop down on the lower right-hand corner of the screen on the
              > Applications tab.
              >
              > The default is Windows 2000, but Win98 is pretty solid. Windows 2000
              > emulation is near native in the last year or so.
              >
              > I tried changing it to Win98, and it did not make any difference.
              >
              > I then tried specifically tweaking how NoteTab Light uses riched20.dll
              > and riched32.dll. Still no joy.
              >
              > I think this is one case where using an actual Windows dll will make
              > the difference. If you copy the one from WinXP, you will want to set
              > the application to act like Win2K or WinXP. Win2K may work better.
              >
              > I'll try it on my system later this weekend.
              >
              > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)
              >
              > Larry Hamitlon

              I kept the above to keep all this information together.

              I copied the riched20.dll and riched32.dll from WinXP's
              Windows\System32 directory and put it in my
              .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory. The Wine dlls are only 2KB,
              the WinXP dlls are about 200KB each. This gives you a clue to the
              functionality missing from the Wine dlls. Wine's dlls are enough to
              allow the text to display.

              I found that NoteTab Light would not display text in the editor window
              using the WinXP dlls no matter what I changed in winecfg.

              I suspect putting them in the NoteTab directory may help, but I have
              to go across the county to move some furniture, so I have to go before
              the wife hurts me... ;-)

              Larry
            • Donguitar
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 22 11:04 AM
                > > The other option is to get NoteTab Pro. ;-)

                Hello everyone, this is my first post.

                I started with NoteTab Light years ago. When I started paying for my web
                host I bought NoteTab Pro and hated it. The main difference is in the
                fonts, it was over a year ago and I only used it for a week so the details
                are fuzzy but it didn't look or feel right so I went back to NoteTab Light.
                Later, to show support, I bought two copies of NoteTab Standard (one for me,
                one for my wife) and I do use it on rare occasions, mainly for its spell
                checking capability, but I still do all my editing and writing in NoteTab
                Light. I'll grant that this may only be true of me, but NoteTab Pro is not
                an option. I'd rather stick with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
                NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab Light on my Linux
                machine. I don't care how it gets done and I don't, in the least, mind
                paying for it.

                That's my $.02

                Don Crowder
                http://www.don-guitar.com
                http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 22 11:39 AM
                  Hi Don and welcome! Nice to see that you decided to join us over here.
                  I'm hoping that discussions on this list will solve a lot of the
                  problems we're having.

                  FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't care
                  for it much either.

                  I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same modules(?)
                  so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't either. (Larry,
                  please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 22 2:03 PM

                    <snip>
                    > FWIW, I tried the trail version of NTPro a while back and didn't
                    > care for it much either.

                    The difference in the fonts is intentional. It is a matter of taste,
                    and functionality needed. I write and modify a lot of clips, so I
                    really need the syntax highlighting. I also like the syntax
                    highlighting for working with HTML.

                    > I understand that Light and Standard basically use the same
                    > modules(?) so if Light won't work, chances are that Standard won't
                    > either. (Larry, please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

                    Yes, Light and Standard use the same input control, i.e. the part that
                    handles the document tabs, and typing, etc. This control is highly
                    dependent upon a single Windows dll.

                    I did a search of the NoteTab Yahoo Group and found that riched32.dll
                    is the file in question.

                    Here are 28 messages related to this dll and how Light and Standard
                    are affected. Jody handled a lot of issues with this over the years.

                    Here is an explanation of riched32.dll I found via Google.

                    http://www.auditmypc.com/process/riched32.asp

                    This dll is used by Wordpad, Calc, and several other Windows utilities.

                    Since Wine has its own Wordpad, they either address it in their dll,
                    or do not use that dll.

                    I know that most users that had a problem with Light or Standard,
                    related to this dll, were Win9x, (95/98/ME).

                    Because of this, it may be that using the Win98 dll and using
                    Light/Standard in Wine's Win98 mode will solve the issue.

                    dll-files.com has the riched32.dll available for download. I do not
                    know which version of Windows it is. I have an old laptop with Win98
                    that is too feeble for Linux, very low RAM and very slow CPU. I'll
                    grab the dll and see if it helps.

                    I can see what WineHQ suggests for trying to use a Windows dll.

                    If this does not work, then we will have to wait for the Wine
                    developers to address whatever the issue is. If this is the case, we
                    can add NoteTab to the AppDB and make a detailed report. This should
                    help get some resolution.

                    If anyone else tries one of these things and it works, please let me know.

                    Well, I've narrowed it down to one dll, so at least we have a better
                    focus for our efforts.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 22 2:13 PM
                      --- Donguitar <donguitar@...> wrote:
                      <snip>
                      > I'll grant that this may only be true of me,
                      > but NoteTab Pro is not an option. I'd rather stick
                      > with gedit. I'll settle, if I must, for
                      > NoteTab Standard in Wine but what I WANT is NoteTab
                      > Light on my Linux machine. I don't care how it gets

                      > done and I don't, in the least, mind paying for it.
                      >
                      > That's my $.02
                      >
                      > Don Crowder

                      Don,

                      It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
                      work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
                      developer to address the issues that prevent correct
                      functioning of Light/Std on Wine.

                      I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
                      thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
                      SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
                      pay for desired improvements.

                      If you had the horsepower, i.e. CPU and RAM on your
                      PC, you could use virtualisation, such as with Qemu,
                      and Win98 or 2k or XP to get NoteTab working. This way
                      you are in Linux, and run Windows on Linux in a
                      virtual setting.

                      I have run Win98 via Qemu and it runs about as well as
                      Win98 on a PC with 64 MB RAM. Slow, but eventually
                      gets the job done. For most users, this will be more
                      than they care to bother with, but is the only other
                      option, besides figuring out how to get the
                      riched32.dll working in Wine, or waiting for the Wine
                      developers to fix it.

                      I understand your perspective, just trying to lay out
                      all the options that I am aware of to get Light
                      working ASAP.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 22 3:27 PM
                        --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

                        > It may be that those who really want Light/Standard to
                        > work in Wine, would want to contribute to get a
                        > developer to address the issues that prevent correct
                        > functioning of Light/Std on Wine.
                        >
                        > I do not know if WineHQ has donations for this sort of
                        > thing, I will be checking. But Wine is hosted on
                        > SourceForge, and SourceForge does have a program to
                        > pay for desired improvements.

                        I'd also be willing to contribute towards getting this done (I'd rather
                        it be going to Eric though). What kind of $$$ are we talking about
                        here?

                        As to virtualization . . . it's hardly worth it when XP is only a
                        reboot away.

                        BTW, I did set the wineconf to Win98 and it didn't help.

                        I just now updated to the latest version of Wine via Synaptic and
                        inclusion of the repository on my list so it should stay current.

                        http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 23 2:07 PM

                          > 3. Adding fonts to the .fonts folder in the home/user directory
                          > screws
                          > up the fonts in the NoteTab. I had to rename the .fonts folder to
                          > get
                          > the fonts in NoteTab readable.

                          The fix for this problem is to add a few fonts to the Windoze fonts
                          folder. I opted for the basics - Arial, Courier, Georgia and Verdana.
                          Once these were added, NoteTab displayed correctly and I was able to
                          reinstate the home/user/.fonts directory.

                          http://tv.yahoo.com/