Re: [wine] New Wine 0.9.47 Released

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

      > Just an update. I upgraded to 5.5 w/o and problems ... and w/o any
      > changes in the cursor problem. Maybe next time. It just seems like it
      > has something to do with the cursor display at the top and bottom of
      > the document window but I'm not that good at programming to figure
      > out what it is.

      Lee - Can you make a screenshot to illustrate the issue(s)?

      > Ubuntu makes it very easy to upgrade from one version to another.
      > Also, the new version is generally pretty well-tested before it is
      > released to the general user (although I agree about waiting for
      > final tweaks. Although I'm not as concerned as I was with Windoz.)

      That is what I understood. Even a full re-install of Linux is trivial
      if you have a separate /home partition.

      With a separate /home partition, always backup - just in case, you can
      install any version of Linux in place of the existing version, if you
      format first. Unlike Windows, when you are done, all of your settings
      files and data is all right there. You may have to install a few
      programs not in the default distribution, but when you do, they should
      just work.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

        > The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
        > NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed. Nice.

        Good news, things keep getting better!

        > My custom dlls were not wiped. Must be a distro specific
        > installation issue.

        That's what I figured, since you and Lee had not mentioned it when
        upgrading wine packages.

        > Gutsy Gibbon comes out tomorrow - Thursday. I'm going to wait a
        > while because 1) the download sites will be swamped and 2) I'm sure
        > there will be kinks that need to be ironed out.

        I knew it was soon. Not sure when I'll get it accomplished.

        I may wait and see if you and Lee still have NoteTab issues after
        upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

          > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
          > > NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed.
          > Nice.
          >
          > Good news, things keep getting better!

          Last night I updated a site and it seems the issue with garbled text
          when removing/adding white space seems to have gone bye-bye. This
          improvement cuts down on the window jiggling significantly.

          > I may wait and see if you and Lee still have NoteTab issues after
          > upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon.

          You'll be waiting quite a while for me to do the deed! Might be before
          the holidays though.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

            > Last night I updated a site and it seems the issue with garbled text
            > when removing/adding white space seems to have gone bye-bye. This
            > improvement cuts down on the window jiggling significantly.

            GREAT! I'll mark this off the list of issues, unless I hear from you
            otherwise.

            I suggest you keep a copy of the Wine package that you know works
            well, in case the next Wine update undoes something.

            I keep two or three older versions on my Slackware system.

            I just got the 0.9.47 for Slackware and it seems ok.

            No real time to test as there is a big series of thunderstorms blowing
            through. Thundertorm warnings, and even a tornado warning two counties
            over.

            Well, time to power down!