Re: [ntb-linux] [wine] New Wine 0.9.47 Released

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
      --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, I just updated my Debian system the other day,
      > as 0.9.46 finally showed up.
      >
      > It did not solve the issues I can duplicate.

      The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
      NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed. Nice.

      > I did not like that the Wine update wiped out the
      > Windows dlls and I had to put them back to make
      > NoteTab Light work right. I cannot duplicate your
      > issue with the display glitch, or Lee's issue with the
      > cursor at the top of the page.

      My custom dlls were not wiped. Must be a distro specific installation
      issue.

      > I read that the new version of Ubuntu is coming out
      > soon, so I will wait for that before I go to the
      > trouble of installing it. Perhaps the new version of
      > Ubuntu will help the issue you and Lee are having.
      > From what I read in a news article today, it is
      > supposed to be easy to update Ubuntu to the newest
      > version. That is, a complete "re-install" of the new
      > version is not required. Someone versed in Ubuntu can
      > correct me if I'm wrong.

      Gutsy Gibbon comes out tomorrow - Thursday. I'm going to wait a while
      because 1) the download sites will be swamped and 2) I'm sure there
      will be kinks that need to be ironed out.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
        On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:28:46 -0700 (PDT) Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

        | --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
        |
        | > 4.46 finally made it into the Ubuntu repositories.
        | > I'll download in a
        | > bit and report back.
        |
        | Yeah, I just updated my Debian system the other day,
        | as 0.9.46 finally showed up.
        |
        | It did not solve the issues I can duplicate.
        |
        | I did not like that the Wine update wiped out the
        | Windows dlls and I had to put them back to make
        | NoteTab Light work right. I cannot duplicate your
        | issue with the display glitch, or Lee's issue with the
        | cursor at the top of the page.
        |
        | I am going to have to break down and install Ubuntu.
        | There is either something different about Ubuntu that
        | leads to these issues I cannot duplicate, or there is
        | a hardware difference.
        |
        | I read that the new version of Ubuntu is coming out
        | soon, so I will wait for that before I go to the
        | trouble of installing it. Perhaps the new version of
        | Ubuntu will help the issue you and Lee are having.
        | From what I read in a news article today, it is
        | supposed to be easy to update Ubuntu to the newest
        | version. That is, a complete "re-install" of the new
        | version is not required. Someone versed in Ubuntu can
        | correct me if I'm wrong.
        |
        | Larry Hamilton

        Just an update. I upgraded to 5.5 w/o and problems ... and w/o any changes in the cursor problem. Maybe next time. It just seems like it has something to do with the cursor display at the top and bottom of the document window but I'm not that good at programming to figure out what it is.

        Ubuntu makes it very easy to upgrade from one version to another. Also, the new version is generally pretty well-tested before it is released to the general user (although I agree about waiting for final tweaks. Although I'm not as concerned as I was with Windoz.)

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

          > Just an update. I upgraded to 5.5 w/o and problems ... and w/o any
          > changes in the cursor problem. Maybe next time. It just seems like it
          > has something to do with the cursor display at the top and bottom of
          > the document window but I'm not that good at programming to figure
          > out what it is.

          Lee - Can you make a screenshot to illustrate the issue(s)?

          > Ubuntu makes it very easy to upgrade from one version to another.
          > Also, the new version is generally pretty well-tested before it is
          > released to the general user (although I agree about waiting for
          > final tweaks. Although I'm not as concerned as I was with Windoz.)

          That is what I understood. Even a full re-install of Linux is trivial
          if you have a separate /home partition.

          With a separate /home partition, always backup - just in case, you can
          install any version of Linux in place of the existing version, if you
          format first. Unlike Windows, when you are done, all of your settings
          files and data is all right there. You may have to install a few
          programs not in the default distribution, but when you do, they should
          just work.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

            > The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
            > NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed. Nice.

            Good news, things keep getting better!

            > My custom dlls were not wiped. Must be a distro specific
            > installation issue.

            That's what I figured, since you and Lee had not mentioned it when
            upgrading wine packages.

            > Gutsy Gibbon comes out tomorrow - Thursday. I'm going to wait a
            > while because 1) the download sites will be swamped and 2) I'm sure
            > there will be kinks that need to be ironed out.

            I knew it was soon. Not sure when I'll get it accomplished.

            I may wait and see if you and Lee still have NoteTab issues after
            upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

              > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
              > > NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed.
              > Nice.
              >
              > Good news, things keep getting better!

              Last night I updated a site and it seems the issue with garbled text
              when removing/adding white space seems to have gone bye-bye. This
              improvement cuts down on the window jiggling significantly.

              > I may wait and see if you and Lee still have NoteTab issues after
              > upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon.

              You'll be waiting quite a while for me to do the deed! Might be before
              the holidays though.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

                > Last night I updated a site and it seems the issue with garbled text
                > when removing/adding white space seems to have gone bye-bye. This
                > improvement cuts down on the window jiggling significantly.

                GREAT! I'll mark this off the list of issues, unless I hear from you
                otherwise.

                I suggest you keep a copy of the Wine package that you know works
                well, in case the next Wine update undoes something.

                I keep two or three older versions on my Slackware system.

                I just got the 0.9.47 for Slackware and it seems ok.

                No real time to test as there is a big series of thunderstorms blowing
                through. Thundertorm warnings, and even a tornado warning two counties
                over.

                Well, time to power down!