[wine] New Wine 0.9.47 Released

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2007
      WineHQ.org released Wine 0.9.47 on Friday, October 12.

      It looks like some issues in various dlls related to display have been
      fixed, if I understand correctly.

      This may address the NoteTab Light issue of garbled text for
      Sisterscape, and the NoteTab Pro issues of the cursor at the top and
      bottom of the document tab for Lee.

      The Slackware package just got to 0.9.46 on October 5. I do not have
      time to build 0.9.47 on Slackware from source, so cannot test 0.9.47
      on Slackware.

      Wine 0.9.46 did make it a little harder to make the cursor issue that
      I have with NoteTab Pro at the bottom of the document tab. I have
      never had an issue at the top.

      Hopefully, Debian and Ubuntu packages are ready.

      Please let me know if Wine 0.9.47 makes any difference for your issues.

      NoteTab is also up to version 5.5. Several display related issues were
      addressed there. If you still have an issue with NoteTab 5.5, or the
      issue is resolve with 5.5, please indicate that too.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
        4.46 finally made it into the Ubuntu repositories. I'll download in a
        bit and report back.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

          > 4.46 finally made it into the Ubuntu repositories.
          > I'll download in a
          > bit and report back.

          Yeah, I just updated my Debian system the other day,
          as 0.9.46 finally showed up.

          It did not solve the issues I can duplicate.

          I did not like that the Wine update wiped out the
          Windows dlls and I had to put them back to make
          NoteTab Light work right. I cannot duplicate your
          issue with the display glitch, or Lee's issue with the
          cursor at the top of the page.

          I am going to have to break down and install Ubuntu.
          There is either something different about Ubuntu that
          leads to these issues I cannot duplicate, or there is
          a hardware difference.

          I read that the new version of Ubuntu is coming out
          soon, so I will wait for that before I go to the
          trouble of installing it. Perhaps the new version of
          Ubuntu will help the issue you and Lee are having.
          From what I read in a news article today, it is
          supposed to be easy to update Ubuntu to the newest
          version. That is, a complete "re-install" of the new
          version is not required. Someone versed in Ubuntu can
          correct me if I'm wrong.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
            --- Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, I just updated my Debian system the other day,
            > as 0.9.46 finally showed up.
            >
            > It did not solve the issues I can duplicate.

            The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
            NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed. Nice.

            > I did not like that the Wine update wiped out the
            > Windows dlls and I had to put them back to make
            > NoteTab Light work right. I cannot duplicate your
            > issue with the display glitch, or Lee's issue with the
            > cursor at the top of the page.

            My custom dlls were not wiped. Must be a distro specific installation
            issue.

            > I read that the new version of Ubuntu is coming out
            > soon, so I will wait for that before I go to the
            > trouble of installing it. Perhaps the new version of
            > Ubuntu will help the issue you and Lee are having.
            > From what I read in a news article today, it is
            > supposed to be easy to update Ubuntu to the newest
            > version. That is, a complete "re-install" of the new
            > version is not required. Someone versed in Ubuntu can
            > correct me if I'm wrong.

            Gutsy Gibbon comes out tomorrow - Thursday. I'm going to wait a while
            because 1) the download sites will be swamped and 2) I'm sure there
            will be kinks that need to be ironed out.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
              On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:28:46 -0700 (PDT) Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

              | --- sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:
              |
              | > 4.46 finally made it into the Ubuntu repositories.
              | > I'll download in a
              | > bit and report back.
              |
              | Yeah, I just updated my Debian system the other day,
              | as 0.9.46 finally showed up.
              |
              | It did not solve the issues I can duplicate.
              |
              | I did not like that the Wine update wiped out the
              | Windows dlls and I had to put them back to make
              | NoteTab Light work right. I cannot duplicate your
              | issue with the display glitch, or Lee's issue with the
              | cursor at the top of the page.
              |
              | I am going to have to break down and install Ubuntu.
              | There is either something different about Ubuntu that
              | leads to these issues I cannot duplicate, or there is
              | a hardware difference.
              |
              | I read that the new version of Ubuntu is coming out
              | soon, so I will wait for that before I go to the
              | trouble of installing it. Perhaps the new version of
              | Ubuntu will help the issue you and Lee are having.
              | From what I read in a news article today, it is
              | supposed to be easy to update Ubuntu to the newest
              | version. That is, a complete "re-install" of the new
              | version is not required. Someone versed in Ubuntu can
              | correct me if I'm wrong.
              |
              | Larry Hamilton

              Just an update. I upgraded to 5.5 w/o and problems ... and w/o any changes in the cursor problem. Maybe next time. It just seems like it has something to do with the cursor display at the top and bottom of the document window but I'm not that good at programming to figure out what it is.

              Ubuntu makes it very easy to upgrade from one version to another. Also, the new version is generally pretty well-tested before it is released to the general user (although I agree about waiting for final tweaks. Although I'm not as concerned as I was with Windoz.)

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

                > Just an update. I upgraded to 5.5 w/o and problems ... and w/o any
                > changes in the cursor problem. Maybe next time. It just seems like it
                > has something to do with the cursor display at the top and bottom of
                > the document window but I'm not that good at programming to figure
                > out what it is.

                Lee - Can you make a screenshot to illustrate the issue(s)?

                > Ubuntu makes it very easy to upgrade from one version to another.
                > Also, the new version is generally pretty well-tested before it is
                > released to the general user (although I agree about waiting for
                > final tweaks. Although I'm not as concerned as I was with Windoz.)

                That is what I understood. Even a full re-install of Linux is trivial
                if you have a separate /home partition.

                With a separate /home partition, always backup - just in case, you can
                install any version of Linux in place of the existing version, if you
                format first. Unlike Windows, when you are done, all of your settings
                files and data is all right there. You may have to install a few
                programs not in the default distribution, but when you do, they should
                just work.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007

                  > The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
                  > NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed. Nice.

                  Good news, things keep getting better!

                  > My custom dlls were not wiped. Must be a distro specific
                  > installation issue.

                  That's what I figured, since you and Lee had not mentioned it when
                  upgrading wine packages.

                  > Gutsy Gibbon comes out tomorrow - Thursday. I'm going to wait a
                  > while because 1) the download sites will be swamped and 2) I'm sure
                  > there will be kinks that need to be ironed out.

                  I knew it was soon. Not sure when I'll get it accomplished.

                  I may wait and see if you and Lee still have NoteTab issues after
                  upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

                    > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The Synaptic update was to wine-0.9.47! The garbled text issue in
                    > > NoteTab remains but the Photoshop clone key command is fixed.
                    > Nice.
                    >
                    > Good news, things keep getting better!

                    Last night I updated a site and it seems the issue with garbled text
                    when removing/adding white space seems to have gone bye-bye. This
                    improvement cuts down on the window jiggling significantly.

                    > I may wait and see if you and Lee still have NoteTab issues after
                    > upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon.

                    You'll be waiting quite a while for me to do the deed! Might be before
                    the holidays though.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

                      > Last night I updated a site and it seems the issue with garbled text
                      > when removing/adding white space seems to have gone bye-bye. This
                      > improvement cuts down on the window jiggling significantly.

                      GREAT! I'll mark this off the list of issues, unless I hear from you
                      otherwise.

                      I suggest you keep a copy of the Wine package that you know works
                      well, in case the next Wine update undoes something.

                      I keep two or three older versions on my Slackware system.

                      I just got the 0.9.47 for Slackware and it seems ok.

                      No real time to test as there is a big series of thunderstorms blowing
                      through. Thundertorm warnings, and even a tornado warning two counties
                      over.

                      Well, time to power down!