Re: [ntb-linux] Problem with cursor focus

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 18, 2012
      I should have advised going to Wine 1.4, which is the new stable release.

      I have not posted for awhile as I am getting my house ready to sell, on top of other projects.

      ~ Larry

      ________________________________
      From: Lee Underwood <leeu@...>
      Subject: [ntb-linux] Problem with cursor focus
      To: "NoteTab Linux Groups" <ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 12:00 AM

            (I know it's been a while since anyone posted so I hope someone is still there ...)

      I have just installed Ubuntu 10.4 on a new hard drive. I then installed Wine v 1.2.3, and NoteTab Pro 6.0. I then copied over the NoteTab Pro directory from the previous drive so that I would have the same set-up, etc. All seems to work fine except for one problem:

      When NTP starts, the cursor has focus on the page; however, when I switch to another program and back it loses focus (except for the first time I do it). I then have to click the cursor on the page to regain focus or press "ESC". Also, when I switch back to NTP the "File" menu is highlighted (pressing "ESC" takes the focus off it and back to the cursor as mentioned above), however the title bar in the program itself shows as if the program does not have focus (it is grayed-out). In fact, I am typing this in NTP right now and it is still grayed-out, as if it didn't have focus. Yet I can click on the title bar and it then shows the color.

      I thought someone had a problem like this a while back but I checked my mailing list files and couldn't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

      Hardware:

          Processor: Dual Intel, Premium

          RAM: 3.2 GB (4 GB actually)

          Other Info:

      Operating System:

          Linux: Ubuntu 10.4, Kernel: 2.6.32-40-generic

          NoteTab: NoteTab Pro 6.0

      Wine:

          Version: 1.2.3

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 19, 2012
        Thanks to both of you. I'll give that a try. (I forgot that Ubuntu is several versions of Wine behind, although I don't know why.)

        I'll let you know what happens.

        Lee

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 19, 2012
          It does not make aense that Ubuntu updates fior the beta 5x series is hard to find. I have not been able to test to see if there is anything new to report. I may have to find time to compile from source.
          It isn't hard, but takes more atrention to detail than just installing an update.

          Larry

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 25, 2012
            Well, that didn't go well. The program was s-----l-----o-----w I had to revert back to Wine v 1.2.2. I'll just live with this minor inconvenience for now. (Actually, v.1.0 worked much better. I just might switch back to that.)

            Thanks anyway.

            Lee

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 25, 2012
              I still use Wine 1.0 because it works. :)

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 29, 2012
                You know I was just thinking of you the other day and that you probably are still using v 1.0. I just might revert back to that so I don't have these other, new problems. If something works, why change?

                Thanks,

                Lee

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 29, 2012
                  Any idea where I can get a binary copy of v.1 so i don't have to figure out how to "build" one?

                  With the current version, I am also having a problem with losing NoteTab Pro when I switch to other programs and then switch back, I can't see it in the alt-tab window or on the toolbar with the other programs. Any one else have this problem?

                  Lee

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 29, 2012
                    I thought I might have an old .deb stashed but no luck. I upgraded to Squeeze about a year ago but can't remember how I got wine installed. Once I did, I just dropped my old .wane folder into Home and was good to go. Try here for older versions:

                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 29, 2012
                      Thanks but I already tried there. Those have to be "built" and I'm not sure how to do it, plus the Wine site talks about "installing build dependencies" and I have no idea what that means. Think I'll just stick with what I have until I can find an old .deb file or work out the current problem.

                      BTW, the problem I mention in my last e-mail ("losing NoteTab Pro when I switch to other programs and then switch back") only happens intermittently. I'll see how it works.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 29, 2012
                        Does anyone know how to restore access to NoteTab once it does get "dropped" from the program panel and the ALT-TAB switcher? It's really getting old now having to keep killing NoteTab and then re-start it.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 30, 2012
                          Do you mean current version of Ubuntu or Wine?

                          With Ubuntu 11.x and up, the new interface makes alt+tab a little off for me. I have to try a couple of times to get it to go to the program I want. This is whether I have a program running in Wine or not.

                          Larry Hamilton

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 30, 2012
                            It doesn't happen to any program not running under Wine so it must be related to Wine (v.1.2.2), although it could be a combination of both (I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 - I like the LTS versions) because it didn't happen when I was running Ubuntu 8.04 and an earlier version of Wine. I am "trying" to see what makes it happen but I usually am working away and (sometimes) ... poof ... it's gone. It doesn't happen all the time but it is frustrating when it does. I don't know if it makes a difference but when I ran NoteTab Pro 6.2 using the terminal I got the follow errors (there not dups, it printed out all three errors):

                            fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
                            fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found
                            fixme:font:load_VDMX No suitable ratio found

                            I can't seem to find what this means and if it is related to the "missing program" problem (although I doubt it seeing as it mentions the font). As was previously mentioned, it ran fine (with the known problems of the cursor) under Wine v.1.

                            BTW, does anyone know who to "bring the program back" so I can switch to it? It's still running -- I can see it in the System Monitor.

                            Lee

                            > Do you mean current version of Ubuntu or Wine?
                            >
                            > With Ubuntu 11.x and up, the new interface makes alt+tab a little off for me. I have to try a couple of times to get it to go to the program I want. This is whether I have a program running in Wine or not.
                            >

                            > Larry Hamilton
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • fw7oaks
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 30, 2012
                              --- On Mon, 4/30/12, Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:

                              [snip]

                              > BTW, does anyone know who to "bring the program back" so I can switch to
                              > it? It's still running -- I can see it in the System Monitor.

                              Hi Lee

                              Perhaps this will point you in the right direction

                              Since I can't lose my NoteTab I don't know if it will work but it works on a background NoteTab using Gnome 2.30 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS from a command prompt type

                              wmctrl -R Notetab

                              HTH

                              fw
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 1, 2012
                                Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know.

                                Lee

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 1, 2012
                                  Just had a thought . . . have you tried to force the version back to 1.0?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 1, 2012
                                    Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I could give it a try and see. Thanks.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 3, 2012
                                      Well, that was a bust. It will only allow me to use either v.1.2.2 or v.1.1.42. Anyone have any other suggestions? Meanwhile, I'm going to try the Wine site and the Ubuntu forum.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 6, 2012
                                        Very interesting. I had given up and was going to fully remove Wine (which I did) and then install the latest version because a guy from the Wine forums was going to help me with each problem I had. In order to get to Wine 1.4 I needed to add a new source to the repositories list, as per the Wine site (for Ubuntu distros). So I did and then when I went to install the latest version I HAD A LINK TO V. 1.0! I figured what the hey, so I installed it and am now back to where I was originally (as we are all, or were, as the case may be). Even the font is same the old one, much easier to read.

                                        Oh well, I know it's a few steps back but then these are only incremental versions of the first one, i.e., v. 1.0, anyway so as sisterscape, "version 1.0 works" so "if it ain't broke, why change it?". I do believe the operating system and related software should be kept up-to-date, but with Wine I'm only running a few programs, and NoteTab Pro has become an important one (and Wine is not perfect anyway).

                                        So, for now, it's a good day again ... so far.

                                        Lee