Re: [ntb-linux] Re: black border interfering with edit area

  • Al
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
      Lawrence wrote:
      > Now if I could just make that border thing appear to help those affected, but it seems to be a display/video related issue.

      Since his desktop machine does not have the issue whilst his laptop
      does. And, any video in Wine has to access down through (or on top of)
      the Linux video driver.

      If it were mine I'd check any and all to do with Linux video ie what
      hardware, which driver being used by the kernel, the refresh rates being
      used, the dpi

      sometimes you have to blacklist a driver in your udev config (it
      sometimes auto thinks it needs a driver too many)

      When all that known to be fully up to needed spec. and if still the
      prob. then I'd try disable composite

      If still the prob then I'd leave composite off then begin further as
      formerly above but perhaps (I would do so) try an older version and/or a
      newer version/edition of the correct Linux video driver needed.

      Linux chrome vid driver (hardly anybody has that vid hardware anymore)
      doesn't fully auto detect in Slackware -- you have to manually enter in
      some ie the refresh rates and some others then you get real nice video
      otherwise you will be stuck with very grainy and not pretty 800 x 600 or
      even 600 x 450 resolution (yuck).

      The all of video is like a unit that all of its various pieces must be
      correct or else the whole thing is thrown off even if just only very
      slightly so due to, for example, a slightly off refresh rate (config.
      problem).

      --
      Alan.
    • pm9yah
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
        I still have black border issue too.

        Clip reports:

        Date: August 12, 2011
        Hardware: Generic
        Processor: i686 unknown unknown
        RAM: 1219MB
        Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010

        Window Manager: Gnome
        Type: NTP
        Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
        Wine: wine-1.2.2

        Wine Thinks This is:
        Platform: Win32_NT
        Version: WinXP

        Regards,
        Mark
      • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
          as requested, here is my lspci info

          desktop WITHOUT the problem:
          lspci
          00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
          00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
          00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
          00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
          00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
          00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
          00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
          00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
          00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
          00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
          00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150
          LE] (rev a2)
          00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
          00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
          00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
          00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
          00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
          00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
          00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
          00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
          (rev a1)
          00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
          (rev a1)
          00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
          00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
          (rev a2)
          00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
          00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
          HyperTransport Technology Configuration
          00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
          Address Map
          00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
          DRAM Controller
          00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
          Miscellaneous Control
          03:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 70)
          03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros
          AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
          03:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k
          Data/Fax Modem
          $

          laptop WITH the black border problem:
          lspci
          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory
          Controller Hub (rev 09)
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
          Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
          00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
          Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
          00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
          Controller #4 (rev 03)
          00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
          Controller #5 (rev 03)
          00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
          Controller #6 (rev 03)
          00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI
          Controller #2 (rev 03)
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
          Controller (rev 03)
          00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
          Port 1 (rev 03)
          00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
          Port 2 (rev 03)
          00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
          Controller #1 (rev 03)
          00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
          Controller #2 (rev 03)
          00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
          Controller #3 (rev 03)
          00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI
          Controller #1 (rev 03)
          00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
          00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller
          (rev 03)
          00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
          Controller (rev 03)
          00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller
          (rev 03)
          00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9
          Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
          01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
          RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
          02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
          Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
          $

          I can see that my desktop is using nVidia and my laptop is using Intel
          drivers, but if that is the problem it seems like it should be a LOT
          more common, shouldn't it?

          Donald
        • Al
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
            al@P5Q:/var/log$ pwd
            /var/log
            al@P5Q:/var/log$ ls | grep Xorg
            Xorg.0.log
            Xorg.0.log.old
            al@P5Q:/var/log$

            You need to look at your X server's log file, Xorg.0.log it resides
            under /var/log on Slackware.

            BTW the video drivers are loaded by the X server (vid drivers do not
            show with the lsmod command - at least it's this way on slackware).
            Above log file tells you which vid driver(s) loaded successfully or not.

            BTW, FWIW, in the slackware forum (I regularly follow this forum for
            years and years) at linuxquestions.org for longer than the last 7 or 8
            months, many (unhappy) posts about Intel video driver. Such driver been
            under heavy development (generally impacts stability ie covers many
            models Intel vid hardware - the challenge to not break other Intel
            hardware models while improving for some models). Some those posts,
            they get it to working alright.

            if that is the problem it seems like it should be a LOT
            more common, shouldn't it?

            How many people are using Notetab in Wine on your version of Ubuntu with
            the same Intel vid hardw as yours?

            How many members are there on this ntb-linux emailing list?

            If that other poster who is also with the same prob could do lspci as
            you did and then post the results.