Re: black border interfering with edit area

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
      Well, since it was all my Yahoo Groups, but only on Firefox, I deleted my login for Yahoo from Firefox.

      It still somehow remembered me as logged in in Yahoo Groups. I had to log out.

      I found when I modded my router to go to DD-WRT last month, the how-to mentioned Firefox would pull an old password out of the ether, and recommended using IE if on Windows. Now I have seen it, in case anyone else runs into it.

      ~ Larry

      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

      > Odd, my work laptop using FireFox my Yahoo Groups don't work right, but they are fine with Internet Explorer. I was worried for a minute, but now have a new mystery to solve.
      >
      > Curioser and curioser.
      >
      > ~ Larry
    • Al
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
        Larry Hamilton wrote:
        > Is anyone else having a problem with Yahoo Groups this morning? It is acting like I am not a member of my groups. I am the administrator of ntb-linux, and it asks if I want to join.
        >
        > ARG!

        An older Firefox on Slackware 12.2 it took me 15 minutes late last night
        to get logged on to my yahoogroups.

        it rejected my correct user and correct password as invalid

        it then brought up graphic with alpha numeric string for me to enter

        repeat times 6

        Then clicked on lost my password whereby it told me I incorrectly
        entered the alpha numeric string is the problem not my password (after
        it rejected that password times 6 or more).

        Finally it took and logged me on. But I'd changed nothing.

        Power flickers, motherboard conductivity problems, overloaded, glitch in
        the sql of its database records, hard drive didn't write correctly to
        one spot on disk -- IOW it looks to me like yahoo's server(s) were
        having reality alteration things going on. Otherwise known as whacko

        --
        Alan.
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
          No problems on my home PC using Firefox on Ubuntu.

          When I have weird unexplained problems helping clients with the various software I support in my day job (accounting & payroll) I call it a "Twighlight Zone Issue". I like to have answers and clients often demand them, but if you can't find the circumstances that led to the cause, then the answer is, "I don't know".

          I hate that answer.

          I spent 6 hours on an "issue" over several days because totals were changing for a client. Pulled in a copy of their data so I could play with it, and finally narrowed it down to they changed the way they had some things configured, but did not change their process to match how it now works. I like how "nothing has changed", leads to something wrong with the software. They can keep their old procedure if they don't change their configuration, or keep the configuration if they change their procedures.

          Now if I could just make that border thing appear to help those affected, but it seems to be a display/video related issue.

          I like puzzles, but need all the pieces to hope to figure out this one.

          ~ Larry

          --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@...> wrote:

          > An older Firefox on Slackware 12.2 it took me 15 minutes late last night
          > to get logged on to my yahoogroups.
          >
          > it rejected my correct user and correct password as invalid
          >
          > it then brought up graphic with alpha numeric string for me to enter
          >
          > repeat times 6
          >
          > Then clicked on lost my password whereby it told me I incorrectly
          > entered the alpha numeric string is the problem not my password (after
          > it rejected that password times 6 or more).
          >
          > Finally it took and logged me on. But I'd changed nothing.
          >
          > Power flickers, motherboard conductivity problems, overloaded, glitch in
          > the sql of its database records, hard drive didn't write correctly to
          > one spot on disk -- IOW it looks to me like yahoo's server(s) were
          > having reality alteration things going on. Otherwise known as whacko
          >
          > --
          > Alan.
        • Al
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
            Lawrence wrote:
            > Now if I could just make that border thing appear to help those affected, but it seems to be a display/video related issue.

            Since his desktop machine does not have the issue whilst his laptop
            does. And, any video in Wine has to access down through (or on top of)
            the Linux video driver.

            If it were mine I'd check any and all to do with Linux video ie what
            hardware, which driver being used by the kernel, the refresh rates being
            used, the dpi

            sometimes you have to blacklist a driver in your udev config (it
            sometimes auto thinks it needs a driver too many)

            When all that known to be fully up to needed spec. and if still the
            prob. then I'd try disable composite

            If still the prob then I'd leave composite off then begin further as
            formerly above but perhaps (I would do so) try an older version and/or a
            newer version/edition of the correct Linux video driver needed.

            Linux chrome vid driver (hardly anybody has that vid hardware anymore)
            doesn't fully auto detect in Slackware -- you have to manually enter in
            some ie the refresh rates and some others then you get real nice video
            otherwise you will be stuck with very grainy and not pretty 800 x 600 or
            even 600 x 450 resolution (yuck).

            The all of video is like a unit that all of its various pieces must be
            correct or else the whole thing is thrown off even if just only very
            slightly so due to, for example, a slightly off refresh rate (config.
            problem).

            --
            Alan.
          • pm9yah
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
              I still have black border issue too.

              Clip reports:

              Date: August 12, 2011
              Hardware: Generic
              Processor: i686 unknown unknown
              RAM: 1219MB
              Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010

              Window Manager: Gnome
              Type: NTP
              Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
              Wine: wine-1.2.2

              Wine Thinks This is:
              Platform: Win32_NT
              Version: WinXP

              Regards,
              Mark
            • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
                as requested, here is my lspci info

                desktop WITHOUT the problem:
                lspci
                00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
                00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
                00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
                00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
                00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
                00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
                00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
                00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
                00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
                00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
                00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150
                LE] (rev a2)
                00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
                00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
                00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
                00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
                00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
                00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
                00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
                00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
                (rev a1)
                00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
                (rev a1)
                00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
                00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
                (rev a2)
                00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
                00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                HyperTransport Technology Configuration
                00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                Address Map
                00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                DRAM Controller
                00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                Miscellaneous Control
                03:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 70)
                03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros
                AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
                03:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k
                Data/Fax Modem
                $

                laptop WITH the black border problem:
                lspci
                00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory
                Controller Hub (rev 09)
                00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
                Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
                Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                Controller #4 (rev 03)
                00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                Controller #5 (rev 03)
                00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                Controller #6 (rev 03)
                00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI
                Controller #2 (rev 03)
                00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
                Controller (rev 03)
                00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
                Port 1 (rev 03)
                00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
                Port 2 (rev 03)
                00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                Controller #1 (rev 03)
                00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                Controller #2 (rev 03)
                00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                Controller #3 (rev 03)
                00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI
                Controller #1 (rev 03)
                00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
                00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller
                (rev 03)
                00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
                Controller (rev 03)
                00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller
                (rev 03)
                00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9
                Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
                01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
                02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
                Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
                $

                I can see that my desktop is using nVidia and my laptop is using Intel
                drivers, but if that is the problem it seems like it should be a LOT
                more common, shouldn't it?

                Donald
              • Al
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
                  al@P5Q:/var/log$ pwd
                  /var/log
                  al@P5Q:/var/log$ ls | grep Xorg
                  Xorg.0.log
                  Xorg.0.log.old
                  al@P5Q:/var/log$

                  You need to look at your X server's log file, Xorg.0.log it resides
                  under /var/log on Slackware.

                  BTW the video drivers are loaded by the X server (vid drivers do not
                  show with the lsmod command - at least it's this way on slackware).
                  Above log file tells you which vid driver(s) loaded successfully or not.

                  BTW, FWIW, in the slackware forum (I regularly follow this forum for
                  years and years) at linuxquestions.org for longer than the last 7 or 8
                  months, many (unhappy) posts about Intel video driver. Such driver been
                  under heavy development (generally impacts stability ie covers many
                  models Intel vid hardware - the challenge to not break other Intel
                  hardware models while improving for some models). Some those posts,
                  they get it to working alright.

                  if that is the problem it seems like it should be a LOT
                  more common, shouldn't it?

                  How many people are using Notetab in Wine on your version of Ubuntu with
                  the same Intel vid hardw as yours?

                  How many members are there on this ntb-linux emailing list?

                  If that other poster who is also with the same prob could do lspci as
                  you did and then post the results.