Re: black border interfering with edit area

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
      I'm running Ubuntu 10.10. with Wine 1.3.25 and NotePro 6.2.

      I update to the most recent Wine update of the beta/unstable branch, and I do not have the black border issue.

      I have also never seen Lee's issue.

      From what we could gather with Lee's issue is it is probably something about his monitor or video driver.

      To dig into this, we need more information on what kind of computer, monitor, etc.

      There is a clip library that is in the files area of the group that will help you gather information about your system, Wine, and NoteTab.

      Share the results of that clip with us, and we can see if we can figure this out.

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 9, 2011
        The issue I have has been ongoing for several other users in this group so it is not new (and I have now become used to it after so many years). It has nothing to do with my hardware.

        Everything is fine on this end.

        Lee

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 9, 2011
          Sorry, Lee.

          My recollection was that it was something unique to your combination of hardware, drivers, OS, and NoteTab.

          Still, knowing information on hardware, OS, etc. is important to pinning these things down, thus the clip library I put together to gather information on a user's system.

          Anyone with a weird issue, please post the results of the clip "Get Wine & *nix Info so we can compare for the common thread.

          The clip library is available in the files area of the group.

          Sample output from my system:

          Date: August 09, 2011
          Hardware: Asus
          Processor: i686 i686 i386
          RAM: 6048MB
          Operating System: Linux 2.6.38-10-generic-pae #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 16:54:49 UTC 2011

          Window Manager: Gnome 2.32.1
          Type: NTP
          Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
          Wine: wine-1.3.25

          Wine Thinks This is:
          Platform: Win32_NT
          Version: WinXP

          Larry

          ________________________________
          The issue I have has been ongoing for several other users in this group so it is not new (and I have now become used to it after so many years). It has nothing to do with my hardware.

          Everything is fine on this end.

          Lee

          > I'm running Ubuntu 10.10. with Wine 1.3.25 and NotePro 6.2.
          >
          > I update to the most recent Wine update of the beta/unstable branch, and I do not have the black border issue.
          >
          > I have also never seen Lee's issue.
          >
          > From what we could gather with Lee's issue is it is probably something about his monitor or video driver.
          >
          > To dig into this, we need more information on what kind of computer, monitor, etc.
          >
          > There is a clip library that is in the files area of the group that will help you gather information about your system, Wine, and NoteTab.
          >
          > Share the results of that clip with us, and we can see if we can figure this out.
          >
          > ~ Larry
          >
          > --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This looks like it might be a problem with Ubuntu 10.10 as someone else wrote in saying they had the same exact problem and they too had v.10.10:

          > > However, no one here had seen it before. I am still on Ubuntu 8.04 and it works great except for a small, ongoing problem when the cursor goes to the top or bottom of the page. (Now I'm not sure sure I'll be upgrading)
          > >
          > > Lee
          > >

          > > > I just installed the latest NTP into Wine on Ubuntu 10.10 and have a black border around the edit area which covers up the first line.
          > > >
          > > > How do I get rid of that?
          > > >
          > > > I also can't display the help topics listed in the search results of HELP.
          > > >
          > > > Any help would be appreciated.

        • roncadby
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
            OK. Here's mine:

            Date: August 10, 2011
            Hardware: ASUS U52F
            Processor: x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
            RAM: 3752MB
            Operating System: Linux 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 15:07:17 UTC 2011

            Window Manager: Gnome
            Type: NTP
            Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
            Wine: wine-1.3.15

            Wine Thinks This is:
            Platform: Win32_NT
            Version: WinXP

            Hardware: ASUS U52F
            No. Processors: 4
            First Processor: GenuineIntel
            x86 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
            Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
            RAM:
            Operating System: WinXP Service Pack 3

            Program: NoteTab Pro 6.2

            Library: ntb-linux
            Library File Name: C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries\ntb-linux.clb

            Just updated to 11.04. No change for the black border problem.

            Is there a "Linux.clb" somewhere? I see a CallLoadLinuxClipBar icon and get a "Linux.clb" file not found clicking it.

            TIA..........Ron

          • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
              Just to repeat my info for this problem.

              I've got notetab installed on two different machines. My desktop, and
              by laptop. Both machines are running ubuntu, both updated. The desktop
              works fine, but the laptop shows this highly annoying black border.
              This has persisted across ubuntu upgrades. Last time I commented on
              this both the desktop and laptop were on Ubuntu 10.0, now I'm running 11.04

              Desktop that has no black border:

              Date: August 11, 2011
              Hardware: HP Pavillion a1600n (desktop)
              Processor: i686 athlon i386
              RAM: 936MB
              Operating System: Linux 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28
              15:05:41 UTC 2011

              Window Manager: Gnome
              Type: NTP
              Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
              Wine: wine-1.2.2

              Wine Thinks This is:
              Platform: Win32_NT
              Version: WinXP

              Laptop that HAS an ugly and frustrating black border:

              Hardware: HP G60-441 laptop
              Processor: x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
              RAM: 2950MB
              Operating System: Linux 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28
              15:07:17 UTC 2011

              Window Manager: Gnome
              Type: NTP
              Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
              Wine: wine-1.2.2

              Wine Thinks This is:
              Platform: Win32_NT
              Version: WinXP

              Wish I had a clue as to what was causing this, because it makes notetab
              almost unusable on the laptop.

              Donald
            • Al
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
                I think your specific brand and model of video hardware which should
                also correspondingly coincide with the particular/specific Linux video
                driver that is used by your system.

                I do not see your video hardware.

                It is known that some brands/models/specific_age_ranges of video
                hardware work better in Linux than other
                brands/models/specific_age_ranges of video hardware do.

                In Slackware, as root, in a terminal, the command:

                lspci

                That command will reveal as to what your specific video hardware is. And,

                lsmod

                or

                modprobe -l

                I think one of those 2 commands lists all of the drivers that are being
                used by the kernel.

                But I'd put money on it that Ubuntu uses one of the other (Linux)
                hardware listers utilities and doesn't have/use lspci like Slackware does.

                As to the next, I just merely rambled/consciousness_streamed myself into
                sharing experience(s). Not at all meant to boast nor pressure another
                individual to follow suit. Choose for yourself.

                I do not use Ubuntu. I've been on Linux since 1999 to 2000 when I
                abandoned Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows at that time for Linux.
                Never went back to Windows except for I fixed other people's Windows XP
                computers. Put Linux on a few friend's boxes and it ran for 7 plus
                years without ever even one operating system freeze up.

                Go Slackware. I have more control/customizing_ability/fine_tuning
                ability. It's Slackware, *do* what you want.

                But that ability comes at a cost: I must roll up my sleeves and get
                under the hood (ie by knowing Linux and how to fine tune (It's the old
                fashioned Unix way).

                It is a way. It's been around for a long time and it looks like it will
                stay around for a long time.

                It's the command line as root in a terminal (only for system
                administration -- please see about user below). But I've long since,
                lots of cheats (for sys admin duties) for a long time and still. Things
                like save copies of my command line history and document them so I can
                copy and paste the next time around. And my own created help files that
                I run just by adding an h at the end. ie

                findh

                That prints out copious amounts of my own documented helps for the find
                utility/command is both very huge and very very powerful.

                The user, in Linux (Slackware too) has a real real nice desktop
                experience akin to that of Microsoft Windows. | Alan.

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
                  composite or compositing is probably yet towards new in Linux.

                  And since Ubuntu likes to advance on the latest, I'd put money on it
                  that Ubuntu has composite enabled by default.

                  Not that it is your problem for I do not know. But some specific video
                  hardwares/video drivers do not get along so well with compositing. And,
                  thus, some people turn off the compositing which in these cases
                  sometimes gives them better video than, say, "just a bit of an
                  accident/oops" which is what they had for video before they turned off
                  the compositing.

                  Use at your own risk.

                  http://www.google.com/webhp#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=linux+disable+compositing&pbx=1&oq=linux+disable+compositing&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=4874l20296l0l21249l25l25l0l7l7l0l297l2707l4.10.4l18l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f8762d46b80ffe5d&biw=1272&bih=829

                  --
                  Alan.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
                    Thanks, Alan.

                    Is anyone else having a problem with Yahoo Groups this morning? It is acting like I am not a member of my groups. I am the administrator of ntb-linux, and it asks if I want to join.

                    ARG!

                    Larry Hamilton

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
                      Odd, my work laptop using FireFox my Yahoo Groups don't work right, but they are fine with Internet Explorer. I was worried for a minute, but now have a new mystery to solve.

                      Curioser and curioser.

                      ~ Larry

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
                        Well, since it was all my Yahoo Groups, but only on Firefox, I deleted my login for Yahoo from Firefox.

                        It still somehow remembered me as logged in in Yahoo Groups. I had to log out.

                        I found when I modded my router to go to DD-WRT last month, the how-to mentioned Firefox would pull an old password out of the ether, and recommended using IE if on Windows. Now I have seen it, in case anyone else runs into it.

                        ~ Larry

                        --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

                        > Odd, my work laptop using FireFox my Yahoo Groups don't work right, but they are fine with Internet Explorer. I was worried for a minute, but now have a new mystery to solve.
                        >
                        > Curioser and curioser.
                        >
                        > ~ Larry
                      • Al
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
                          Larry Hamilton wrote:
                          > Is anyone else having a problem with Yahoo Groups this morning? It is acting like I am not a member of my groups. I am the administrator of ntb-linux, and it asks if I want to join.
                          >
                          > ARG!

                          An older Firefox on Slackware 12.2 it took me 15 minutes late last night
                          to get logged on to my yahoogroups.

                          it rejected my correct user and correct password as invalid

                          it then brought up graphic with alpha numeric string for me to enter

                          repeat times 6

                          Then clicked on lost my password whereby it told me I incorrectly
                          entered the alpha numeric string is the problem not my password (after
                          it rejected that password times 6 or more).

                          Finally it took and logged me on. But I'd changed nothing.

                          Power flickers, motherboard conductivity problems, overloaded, glitch in
                          the sql of its database records, hard drive didn't write correctly to
                          one spot on disk -- IOW it looks to me like yahoo's server(s) were
                          having reality alteration things going on. Otherwise known as whacko

                          --
                          Alan.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
                            No problems on my home PC using Firefox on Ubuntu.

                            When I have weird unexplained problems helping clients with the various software I support in my day job (accounting & payroll) I call it a "Twighlight Zone Issue". I like to have answers and clients often demand them, but if you can't find the circumstances that led to the cause, then the answer is, "I don't know".

                            I hate that answer.

                            I spent 6 hours on an "issue" over several days because totals were changing for a client. Pulled in a copy of their data so I could play with it, and finally narrowed it down to they changed the way they had some things configured, but did not change their process to match how it now works. I like how "nothing has changed", leads to something wrong with the software. They can keep their old procedure if they don't change their configuration, or keep the configuration if they change their procedures.

                            Now if I could just make that border thing appear to help those affected, but it seems to be a display/video related issue.

                            I like puzzles, but need all the pieces to hope to figure out this one.

                            ~ Larry

                            --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Al <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                            > An older Firefox on Slackware 12.2 it took me 15 minutes late last night
                            > to get logged on to my yahoogroups.
                            >
                            > it rejected my correct user and correct password as invalid
                            >
                            > it then brought up graphic with alpha numeric string for me to enter
                            >
                            > repeat times 6
                            >
                            > Then clicked on lost my password whereby it told me I incorrectly
                            > entered the alpha numeric string is the problem not my password (after
                            > it rejected that password times 6 or more).
                            >
                            > Finally it took and logged me on. But I'd changed nothing.
                            >
                            > Power flickers, motherboard conductivity problems, overloaded, glitch in
                            > the sql of its database records, hard drive didn't write correctly to
                            > one spot on disk -- IOW it looks to me like yahoo's server(s) were
                            > having reality alteration things going on. Otherwise known as whacko
                            >
                            > --
                            > Alan.
                          • Al
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 11, 2011
                              Lawrence wrote:
                              > Now if I could just make that border thing appear to help those affected, but it seems to be a display/video related issue.

                              Since his desktop machine does not have the issue whilst his laptop
                              does. And, any video in Wine has to access down through (or on top of)
                              the Linux video driver.

                              If it were mine I'd check any and all to do with Linux video ie what
                              hardware, which driver being used by the kernel, the refresh rates being
                              used, the dpi

                              sometimes you have to blacklist a driver in your udev config (it
                              sometimes auto thinks it needs a driver too many)

                              When all that known to be fully up to needed spec. and if still the
                              prob. then I'd try disable composite

                              If still the prob then I'd leave composite off then begin further as
                              formerly above but perhaps (I would do so) try an older version and/or a
                              newer version/edition of the correct Linux video driver needed.

                              Linux chrome vid driver (hardly anybody has that vid hardware anymore)
                              doesn't fully auto detect in Slackware -- you have to manually enter in
                              some ie the refresh rates and some others then you get real nice video
                              otherwise you will be stuck with very grainy and not pretty 800 x 600 or
                              even 600 x 450 resolution (yuck).

                              The all of video is like a unit that all of its various pieces must be
                              correct or else the whole thing is thrown off even if just only very
                              slightly so due to, for example, a slightly off refresh rate (config.
                              problem).

                              --
                              Alan.
                            • pm9yah
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
                                I still have black border issue too.

                                Clip reports:

                                Date: August 12, 2011
                                Hardware: Generic
                                Processor: i686 unknown unknown
                                RAM: 1219MB
                                Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010

                                Window Manager: Gnome
                                Type: NTP
                                Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                                Wine: wine-1.2.2

                                Wine Thinks This is:
                                Platform: Win32_NT
                                Version: WinXP

                                Regards,
                                Mark
                              • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
                                  as requested, here is my lspci info

                                  desktop WITHOUT the problem:
                                  lspci
                                  00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
                                  00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
                                  00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
                                  00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
                                  00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
                                  00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
                                  00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
                                  00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
                                  00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
                                  00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
                                  00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150
                                  LE] (rev a2)
                                  00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
                                  00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
                                  00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
                                  00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
                                  00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
                                  00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
                                  00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
                                  00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
                                  (rev a1)
                                  00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
                                  (rev a1)
                                  00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
                                  00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
                                  (rev a2)
                                  00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
                                  00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                                  HyperTransport Technology Configuration
                                  00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                                  Address Map
                                  00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                                  DRAM Controller
                                  00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
                                  Miscellaneous Control
                                  03:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 70)
                                  03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros
                                  AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
                                  03:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k
                                  Data/Fax Modem
                                  $

                                  laptop WITH the black border problem:
                                  lspci
                                  00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory
                                  Controller Hub (rev 09)
                                  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
                                  Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                                  00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset
                                  Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
                                  00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                                  Controller #4 (rev 03)
                                  00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                                  Controller #5 (rev 03)
                                  00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                                  Controller #6 (rev 03)
                                  00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI
                                  Controller #2 (rev 03)
                                  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
                                  Controller (rev 03)
                                  00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
                                  Port 1 (rev 03)
                                  00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
                                  Port 2 (rev 03)
                                  00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                                  Controller #1 (rev 03)
                                  00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                                  Controller #2 (rev 03)
                                  00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
                                  Controller #3 (rev 03)
                                  00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI
                                  Controller #1 (rev 03)
                                  00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
                                  00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller
                                  (rev 03)
                                  00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI
                                  Controller (rev 03)
                                  00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller
                                  (rev 03)
                                  00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9
                                  Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
                                  01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                                  RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
                                  02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
                                  Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
                                  $

                                  I can see that my desktop is using nVidia and my laptop is using Intel
                                  drivers, but if that is the problem it seems like it should be a LOT
                                  more common, shouldn't it?

                                  Donald
                                • Al
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 12, 2011
                                    al@P5Q:/var/log$ pwd
                                    /var/log
                                    al@P5Q:/var/log$ ls | grep Xorg
                                    Xorg.0.log
                                    Xorg.0.log.old
                                    al@P5Q:/var/log$

                                    You need to look at your X server's log file, Xorg.0.log it resides
                                    under /var/log on Slackware.

                                    BTW the video drivers are loaded by the X server (vid drivers do not
                                    show with the lsmod command - at least it's this way on slackware).
                                    Above log file tells you which vid driver(s) loaded successfully or not.

                                    BTW, FWIW, in the slackware forum (I regularly follow this forum for
                                    years and years) at linuxquestions.org for longer than the last 7 or 8
                                    months, many (unhappy) posts about Intel video driver. Such driver been
                                    under heavy development (generally impacts stability ie covers many
                                    models Intel vid hardware - the challenge to not break other Intel
                                    hardware models while improving for some models). Some those posts,
                                    they get it to working alright.

                                    if that is the problem it seems like it should be a LOT
                                    more common, shouldn't it?

                                    How many people are using Notetab in Wine on your version of Ubuntu with
                                    the same Intel vid hardw as yours?

                                    How many members are there on this ntb-linux emailing list?

                                    If that other poster who is also with the same prob could do lspci as
                                    you did and then post the results.