Re: [ntb-linux] Re: black border artifact covering up first 1 or 2 lines of text

  • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
      On 02/10/2011 06:36 PM, Lawrence lm_hamilton-at-yahoo.com |yahoo
      groups/Example Allow| wrote:

      > Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a
      > clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab
      > information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings
      > with the same problem.

      I should have thought to run that, sorry.
      Desktop that has no black border:
      Date: February 10, 2011
      Hardware: HP Pavillion a1600n (desktop)
      Processor: i686 unknown unknown
      RAM: 937MB
      Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
      17:40:48 UTC 2011

      Window Manager: Gnome
      Type: NTP
      Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
      Wine: wine-1.2.2

      Wine Thinks This is:
      Platform: Win32_NT
      Version: WinXP

      Laptop that HAS an ugly and frustrating black border:

      Date: February 10, 2011
      Hardware: HP G60-441 laptop
      Processor: x86_64 unknown unknown
      RAM: 2950MB
      Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
      17:40:44 UTC 2011

      Window Manager: Gnome
      Type: NTP
      Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
      Wine: wine-1.2.2

      Wine Thinks This is:
      Platform: Win32_NT
      Version: WinXP

      Except for the Hardware/Processor, everything looks pretty much the
      same. I'm baffled.

    • Al
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
        Hi all,

        I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .

        1. Some computers have Intel video hardware. Others have Nvidia. Yet
        others have ATI/Radeon. Yet others have Matrox video hardware. Each
        requires a specific and distinct Linux video driver.
        --

        2. On another note: I've an Asus motherboard whereby Slackware 12.2
        incorrectly detects the sound hardware as well as its one pata

        So, (1) the drivers of some brands (some Linux users) experience
        sometimes somewhat differing video results on one brand versus another
        brand. Compositing and 3D can make a huge difference -- in fact I'd
        look here first at this ie is it turned on or is it off? Sometimes
        doing manual sys admin things like create an xorg.conf file and/or
        tinker with the video config, edit the xorg.conf (can make better video,
        can mess it up too).

        As far as the (2) there are ways to check. As root (in Slackware) in a
        terminal, the lspci command in Slackware lists the hardware. The (in
        Slackware) lsmod command lists out the loaded modules (drivers) and what
        hardware each module/driver is for. Other distro may not have the lspci
        but most likely have a different hardware lister utility/app.

        3. Sometimes for safety the best video driver goes unused. IOW
        defaults to a more generic video driver due to when it probed, only so
        much (not quite enough) data was returned from the probe (developers of
        video drivers do not want to garner a reputation for damaging people's
        video hardware). I don't use Ubuntu; I don't know how advanced Ubuntu
        might be getting in this (plug and play) arena.

        4. Rather very conservative settings/setup/config on the most correct
        video driver (due to the same reason as #3) ie just not quite enough
        returned on that auto probe (for plug and play)

        I use Slackware which encourages the mechanic in me (get under the
        hood). Conservative Slackware probably leans in a direction of being
        one of the Linux distros with a tendency towards some of the least
        amount of plug and play things (brings out the sys admin in me) -- but,
        even Slackware is getting more and more of plug and play.

        Linux is evolving ie all of the constant kernel development which keeps
        including new features which often times link to what a certain video
        driver needs to have. IOW the video driver can't do it if the needed
        feature is not in the kernel. I've been following this some (kernel
        changelogs, etc.) due to I have an ATI Radeon 5450 PCI-E video adapter
        that continues to be better and better supported by the open source
        video driver (the closed source driver had its problems too, one of them
        choked on me and wouldn't work at all. I now have decent video using
        one of the latest kernels I compiled myself with the open source driver
        for that card.

        --
        Alan.
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
          Alan,

          Go point. I did not think of that. I believe we earlier had a few who had some issues a while back that seemed to be driver related.

          I'm Running Ubuntu 10.10 and don't have a problem, but it is a desktop. Laptops have different video hardware, etc. Ubuntu is usually good at supporting a broad range of hardware, and should work fine on newer laptops.

          Sean - Is this a newer laptop? As Alan suggests, trying a change of setting on the video driver may help.

          Larry

          > I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .
        • pm9yah
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
            Hi All,

            linux.clb reports:

            Date: February 11, 2011
            Hardware: Generic
            Processor: i686 unknown unknown
            RAM: 1219MB
            Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010
            Window Manager: Gnome
            Type: NTP
            Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
            Wine: wine-1.2.2

            Wine Thinks This is:
            Platform: Win32_NT
            Version: WinXP

            I think I only noticed this black border artifact after upgrading my motherboard (with built-in video).

            Regards,
            MarkH