Re: black border artifact covering up first 1 or 2 lines of text

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
      Yeah, I'm feeling better, got some muscle relaxants from the doctor and can move without hurting. They knock me out so only take at night.

      Anyway - Odd that this is not a more prevalent issue.

      I wonder if it might be a Wine setting, or customisation, or running a particular Windows program in Wine, or even a Linux setting or program.

      Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings with the same problem.

      ~Larry

    • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
        On 02/10/2011 06:36 PM, Lawrence lm_hamilton-at-yahoo.com |yahoo
        groups/Example Allow| wrote:

        > Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a
        > clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab
        > information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings
        > with the same problem.

        I should have thought to run that, sorry.
        Desktop that has no black border:
        Date: February 10, 2011
        Hardware: HP Pavillion a1600n (desktop)
        Processor: i686 unknown unknown
        RAM: 937MB
        Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
        17:40:48 UTC 2011

        Window Manager: Gnome
        Type: NTP
        Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
        Wine: wine-1.2.2

        Wine Thinks This is:
        Platform: Win32_NT
        Version: WinXP

        Laptop that HAS an ugly and frustrating black border:

        Date: February 10, 2011
        Hardware: HP G60-441 laptop
        Processor: x86_64 unknown unknown
        RAM: 2950MB
        Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
        17:40:44 UTC 2011

        Window Manager: Gnome
        Type: NTP
        Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
        Wine: wine-1.2.2

        Wine Thinks This is:
        Platform: Win32_NT
        Version: WinXP

        Except for the Hardware/Processor, everything looks pretty much the
        same. I'm baffled.

      • Al
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
          Hi all,

          I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .

          1. Some computers have Intel video hardware. Others have Nvidia. Yet
          others have ATI/Radeon. Yet others have Matrox video hardware. Each
          requires a specific and distinct Linux video driver.
          --

          2. On another note: I've an Asus motherboard whereby Slackware 12.2
          incorrectly detects the sound hardware as well as its one pata

          So, (1) the drivers of some brands (some Linux users) experience
          sometimes somewhat differing video results on one brand versus another
          brand. Compositing and 3D can make a huge difference -- in fact I'd
          look here first at this ie is it turned on or is it off? Sometimes
          doing manual sys admin things like create an xorg.conf file and/or
          tinker with the video config, edit the xorg.conf (can make better video,
          can mess it up too).

          As far as the (2) there are ways to check. As root (in Slackware) in a
          terminal, the lspci command in Slackware lists the hardware. The (in
          Slackware) lsmod command lists out the loaded modules (drivers) and what
          hardware each module/driver is for. Other distro may not have the lspci
          but most likely have a different hardware lister utility/app.

          3. Sometimes for safety the best video driver goes unused. IOW
          defaults to a more generic video driver due to when it probed, only so
          much (not quite enough) data was returned from the probe (developers of
          video drivers do not want to garner a reputation for damaging people's
          video hardware). I don't use Ubuntu; I don't know how advanced Ubuntu
          might be getting in this (plug and play) arena.

          4. Rather very conservative settings/setup/config on the most correct
          video driver (due to the same reason as #3) ie just not quite enough
          returned on that auto probe (for plug and play)

          I use Slackware which encourages the mechanic in me (get under the
          hood). Conservative Slackware probably leans in a direction of being
          one of the Linux distros with a tendency towards some of the least
          amount of plug and play things (brings out the sys admin in me) -- but,
          even Slackware is getting more and more of plug and play.

          Linux is evolving ie all of the constant kernel development which keeps
          including new features which often times link to what a certain video
          driver needs to have. IOW the video driver can't do it if the needed
          feature is not in the kernel. I've been following this some (kernel
          changelogs, etc.) due to I have an ATI Radeon 5450 PCI-E video adapter
          that continues to be better and better supported by the open source
          video driver (the closed source driver had its problems too, one of them
          choked on me and wouldn't work at all. I now have decent video using
          one of the latest kernels I compiled myself with the open source driver
          for that card.

          --
          Alan.
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
            Alan,

            Go point. I did not think of that. I believe we earlier had a few who had some issues a while back that seemed to be driver related.

            I'm Running Ubuntu 10.10 and don't have a problem, but it is a desktop. Laptops have different video hardware, etc. Ubuntu is usually good at supporting a broad range of hardware, and should work fine on newer laptops.

            Sean - Is this a newer laptop? As Alan suggests, trying a change of setting on the video driver may help.

            Larry

            > I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .
          • pm9yah
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
              Hi All,

              linux.clb reports:

              Date: February 11, 2011
              Hardware: Generic
              Processor: i686 unknown unknown
              RAM: 1219MB
              Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010
              Window Manager: Gnome
              Type: NTP
              Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
              Wine: wine-1.2.2

              Wine Thinks This is:
              Platform: Win32_NT
              Version: WinXP

              I think I only noticed this black border artifact after upgrading my motherboard (with built-in video).

              Regards,
              MarkH