Re: [ntb-linux] Re: black border artifact covering up first 1 or 2 lines of text

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
      Sorry for the delay. I messed up my back, slipped on the ice. I just looked at the image. I have never seen anything like that.

      So far, we have two who are reporting this. Has anyone else run into this?

      Larry

        I have never seen anything like that on my desktop, notebook, or netbook.

        Lee

        > Sorry for the delay. I messed up my back, slipped on the ice. I just looked at the image. I have never seen anything like that.
        >
        > So far, we have two who are reporting this. Has anyone else run into this?
        >
        > Larry

      • Sean Fenton
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 9, 2011
          Geez, Larry, very sorry to hear it! We have a history of back trouble in my family, so I know first hand what a discomfort & inconvenience that can be.

          I'm going to search for this issue more generally in connection with Wine. I suspect it's something folks might have seen with other programs.

          Sean

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
            Yeah, I'm feeling better, got some muscle relaxants from the doctor and can move without hurting. They knock me out so only take at night.

            Anyway - Odd that this is not a more prevalent issue.

            I wonder if it might be a Wine setting, or customisation, or running a particular Windows program in Wine, or even a Linux setting or program.

            Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings with the same problem.

            ~Larry

          • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
              On 02/10/2011 06:36 PM, Lawrence lm_hamilton-at-yahoo.com |yahoo
              groups/Example Allow| wrote:

              > Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a
              > clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab
              > information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings
              > with the same problem.

              I should have thought to run that, sorry.
              Desktop that has no black border:
              Date: February 10, 2011
              Hardware: HP Pavillion a1600n (desktop)
              Processor: i686 unknown unknown
              RAM: 937MB
              Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
              17:40:48 UTC 2011

              Window Manager: Gnome
              Type: NTP
              Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
              Wine: wine-1.2.2

              Wine Thinks This is:
              Platform: Win32_NT
              Version: WinXP

              Laptop that HAS an ugly and frustrating black border:

              Date: February 10, 2011
              Hardware: HP G60-441 laptop
              Processor: x86_64 unknown unknown
              RAM: 2950MB
              Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
              17:40:44 UTC 2011

              Window Manager: Gnome
              Type: NTP
              Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
              Wine: wine-1.2.2

              Wine Thinks This is:
              Platform: Win32_NT
              Version: WinXP

              Except for the Hardware/Processor, everything looks pretty much the
              same. I'm baffled.

            • Al
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                Hi all,

                I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .

                1. Some computers have Intel video hardware. Others have Nvidia. Yet
                others have ATI/Radeon. Yet others have Matrox video hardware. Each
                requires a specific and distinct Linux video driver.
                --

                2. On another note: I've an Asus motherboard whereby Slackware 12.2
                incorrectly detects the sound hardware as well as its one pata

                So, (1) the drivers of some brands (some Linux users) experience
                sometimes somewhat differing video results on one brand versus another
                brand. Compositing and 3D can make a huge difference -- in fact I'd
                look here first at this ie is it turned on or is it off? Sometimes
                doing manual sys admin things like create an xorg.conf file and/or
                tinker with the video config, edit the xorg.conf (can make better video,
                can mess it up too).

                As far as the (2) there are ways to check. As root (in Slackware) in a
                terminal, the lspci command in Slackware lists the hardware. The (in
                Slackware) lsmod command lists out the loaded modules (drivers) and what
                hardware each module/driver is for. Other distro may not have the lspci
                but most likely have a different hardware lister utility/app.

                3. Sometimes for safety the best video driver goes unused. IOW
                defaults to a more generic video driver due to when it probed, only so
                much (not quite enough) data was returned from the probe (developers of
                video drivers do not want to garner a reputation for damaging people's
                video hardware). I don't use Ubuntu; I don't know how advanced Ubuntu
                might be getting in this (plug and play) arena.

                4. Rather very conservative settings/setup/config on the most correct
                video driver (due to the same reason as #3) ie just not quite enough
                returned on that auto probe (for plug and play)

                I use Slackware which encourages the mechanic in me (get under the
                hood). Conservative Slackware probably leans in a direction of being
                one of the Linux distros with a tendency towards some of the least
                amount of plug and play things (brings out the sys admin in me) -- but,
                even Slackware is getting more and more of plug and play.

                Linux is evolving ie all of the constant kernel development which keeps
                including new features which often times link to what a certain video
                driver needs to have. IOW the video driver can't do it if the needed
                feature is not in the kernel. I've been following this some (kernel
                changelogs, etc.) due to I have an ATI Radeon 5450 PCI-E video adapter
                that continues to be better and better supported by the open source
                video driver (the closed source driver had its problems too, one of them
                choked on me and wouldn't work at all. I now have decent video using
                one of the latest kernels I compiled myself with the open source driver
                for that card.

                --
                Alan.
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
                  Alan,

                  Go point. I did not think of that. I believe we earlier had a few who had some issues a while back that seemed to be driver related.

                  I'm Running Ubuntu 10.10 and don't have a problem, but it is a desktop. Laptops have different video hardware, etc. Ubuntu is usually good at supporting a broad range of hardware, and should work fine on newer laptops.

                  Sean - Is this a newer laptop? As Alan suggests, trying a change of setting on the video driver may help.

                  Larry

                  > I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .
                • pm9yah
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
                    Hi All,

                    linux.clb reports:

                    Date: February 11, 2011
                    Hardware: Generic
                    Processor: i686 unknown unknown
                    RAM: 1219MB
                    Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010
                    Window Manager: Gnome
                    Type: NTP
                    Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                    Wine: wine-1.2.2

                    Wine Thinks This is:
                    Platform: Win32_NT
                    Version: WinXP

                    I think I only noticed this black border artifact after upgrading my motherboard (with built-in video).

                    Regards,
                    MarkH