Re: [ntb-linux] Re: black border artifact covering up first 1 or 2 lines of text

  • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
      On 02/06/2011 02:08 PM, s_fenton8 bobodod-at-gmail.com |yahoo
      groups/Example Allow| wrote:

      > Larry, MarkH,
      >
      > I placed a screenshot in
      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-linux/files/errors/
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Sean

      I was about to bring up this problem myself. I've got notetab installed
      on two different machines. My desktop, and by laptop. Both machines
      are running ubuntu. The desktop works fine, but the laptop shows this
      highly annoying black border.

      Donald

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
        Sorry for the delay. I messed up my back, slipped on the ice. I just looked at the image. I have never seen anything like that.

        So far, we have two who are reporting this. Has anyone else run into this?

        Larry

          I have never seen anything like that on my desktop, notebook, or netbook.

          Lee

          > Sorry for the delay. I messed up my back, slipped on the ice. I just looked at the image. I have never seen anything like that.
          >
          > So far, we have two who are reporting this. Has anyone else run into this?
          >
          > Larry

        • Sean Fenton
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 9, 2011
            Geez, Larry, very sorry to hear it! We have a history of back trouble in my family, so I know first hand what a discomfort & inconvenience that can be.

            I'm going to search for this issue more generally in connection with Wine. I suspect it's something folks might have seen with other programs.

            Sean

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
              Yeah, I'm feeling better, got some muscle relaxants from the doctor and can move without hurting. They knock me out so only take at night.

              Anyway - Odd that this is not a more prevalent issue.

              I wonder if it might be a Wine setting, or customisation, or running a particular Windows program in Wine, or even a Linux setting or program.

              Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings with the same problem.

              ~Larry

            • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                On 02/10/2011 06:36 PM, Lawrence lm_hamilton-at-yahoo.com |yahoo
                groups/Example Allow| wrote:

                > Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a
                > clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab
                > information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings
                > with the same problem.

                I should have thought to run that, sorry.
                Desktop that has no black border:
                Date: February 10, 2011
                Hardware: HP Pavillion a1600n (desktop)
                Processor: i686 unknown unknown
                RAM: 937MB
                Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
                17:40:48 UTC 2011

                Window Manager: Gnome
                Type: NTP
                Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                Wine: wine-1.2.2

                Wine Thinks This is:
                Platform: Win32_NT
                Version: WinXP

                Laptop that HAS an ugly and frustrating black border:

                Date: February 10, 2011
                Hardware: HP G60-441 laptop
                Processor: x86_64 unknown unknown
                RAM: 2950MB
                Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
                17:40:44 UTC 2011

                Window Manager: Gnome
                Type: NTP
                Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                Wine: wine-1.2.2

                Wine Thinks This is:
                Platform: Win32_NT
                Version: WinXP

                Except for the Hardware/Processor, everything looks pretty much the
                same. I'm baffled.

              • Al
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                  Hi all,

                  I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .

                  1. Some computers have Intel video hardware. Others have Nvidia. Yet
                  others have ATI/Radeon. Yet others have Matrox video hardware. Each
                  requires a specific and distinct Linux video driver.
                  --

                  2. On another note: I've an Asus motherboard whereby Slackware 12.2
                  incorrectly detects the sound hardware as well as its one pata

                  So, (1) the drivers of some brands (some Linux users) experience
                  sometimes somewhat differing video results on one brand versus another
                  brand. Compositing and 3D can make a huge difference -- in fact I'd
                  look here first at this ie is it turned on or is it off? Sometimes
                  doing manual sys admin things like create an xorg.conf file and/or
                  tinker with the video config, edit the xorg.conf (can make better video,
                  can mess it up too).

                  As far as the (2) there are ways to check. As root (in Slackware) in a
                  terminal, the lspci command in Slackware lists the hardware. The (in
                  Slackware) lsmod command lists out the loaded modules (drivers) and what
                  hardware each module/driver is for. Other distro may not have the lspci
                  but most likely have a different hardware lister utility/app.

                  3. Sometimes for safety the best video driver goes unused. IOW
                  defaults to a more generic video driver due to when it probed, only so
                  much (not quite enough) data was returned from the probe (developers of
                  video drivers do not want to garner a reputation for damaging people's
                  video hardware). I don't use Ubuntu; I don't know how advanced Ubuntu
                  might be getting in this (plug and play) arena.

                  4. Rather very conservative settings/setup/config on the most correct
                  video driver (due to the same reason as #3) ie just not quite enough
                  returned on that auto probe (for plug and play)

                  I use Slackware which encourages the mechanic in me (get under the
                  hood). Conservative Slackware probably leans in a direction of being
                  one of the Linux distros with a tendency towards some of the least
                  amount of plug and play things (brings out the sys admin in me) -- but,
                  even Slackware is getting more and more of plug and play.

                  Linux is evolving ie all of the constant kernel development which keeps
                  including new features which often times link to what a certain video
                  driver needs to have. IOW the video driver can't do it if the needed
                  feature is not in the kernel. I've been following this some (kernel
                  changelogs, etc.) due to I have an ATI Radeon 5450 PCI-E video adapter
                  that continues to be better and better supported by the open source
                  video driver (the closed source driver had its problems too, one of them
                  choked on me and wouldn't work at all. I now have decent video using
                  one of the latest kernels I compiled myself with the open source driver
                  for that card.

                  --
                  Alan.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
                    Alan,

                    Go point. I did not think of that. I believe we earlier had a few who had some issues a while back that seemed to be driver related.

                    I'm Running Ubuntu 10.10 and don't have a problem, but it is a desktop. Laptops have different video hardware, etc. Ubuntu is usually good at supporting a broad range of hardware, and should work fine on newer laptops.

                    Sean - Is this a newer laptop? As Alan suggests, trying a change of setting on the video driver may help.

                    Larry

                    > I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .
                  • pm9yah
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
                      Hi All,

                      linux.clb reports:

                      Date: February 11, 2011
                      Hardware: Generic
                      Processor: i686 unknown unknown
                      RAM: 1219MB
                      Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010
                      Window Manager: Gnome
                      Type: NTP
                      Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                      Wine: wine-1.2.2

                      Wine Thinks This is:
                      Platform: Win32_NT
                      Version: WinXP

                      I think I only noticed this black border artifact after upgrading my motherboard (with built-in video).

                      Regards,
                      MarkH