Re: black border artifact covering up first 1 or 2 lines of text

  • pm9yah
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2011
      Sean, Larry,

      I don't use USB, but I'm annoyed by this same black border around the text area. Have to fill the top line or two with a space/newline so I can see what I'm doing.

      Also when I make a text selection that goes to a line end, then the selection is followed by black for the rest of the line and the whole of the following line. Don't know if this is related.

      Me on Linux Mint 10 with NoteTab 6.2 and Wine 1.2.2 from repository.

      Regards,
      MarkH

      --- In ntb-linux@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lm_hamilton@...> wrote:

      > Sean,
      >
      > I have not tried running NoteTab on a USB with Wine. I do have it where I can use it with Windows.
      >
      > If you can place the graphic in the files section of the group, so we can see what you are talking about.
      >
      > Larry Hamilton

    • s_fenton8
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
        Larry, MarkH,

        Cheers,

        Sean
      • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2011
          On 02/06/2011 02:08 PM, s_fenton8 bobodod-at-gmail.com |yahoo
          groups/Example Allow| wrote:

          > Larry, MarkH,
          >
          > I placed a screenshot in
          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-linux/files/errors/
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Sean

          I was about to bring up this problem myself. I've got notetab installed
          on two different machines. My desktop, and by laptop. Both machines
          are running ubuntu. The desktop works fine, but the laptop shows this
          highly annoying black border.

          Donald

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2011
            Sorry for the delay. I messed up my back, slipped on the ice. I just looked at the image. I have never seen anything like that.

            So far, we have two who are reporting this. Has anyone else run into this?

            Larry

              I have never seen anything like that on my desktop, notebook, or netbook.

              Lee

              > Sorry for the delay. I messed up my back, slipped on the ice. I just looked at the image. I have never seen anything like that.
              >
              > So far, we have two who are reporting this. Has anyone else run into this?
              >
              > Larry

            • Sean Fenton
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2011
                Geez, Larry, very sorry to hear it! We have a history of back trouble in my family, so I know first hand what a discomfort & inconvenience that can be.

                I'm going to search for this issue more generally in connection with Wine. I suspect it's something folks might have seen with other programs.

                Sean

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                  Yeah, I'm feeling better, got some muscle relaxants from the doctor and can move without hurting. They knock me out so only take at night.

                  Anyway - Odd that this is not a more prevalent issue.

                  I wonder if it might be a Wine setting, or customisation, or running a particular Windows program in Wine, or even a Linux setting or program.

                  Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings with the same problem.

                  ~Larry

                • tr6vb6z02@sneakemail.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                    On 02/10/2011 06:36 PM, Lawrence lm_hamilton-at-yahoo.com |yahoo
                    groups/Example Allow| wrote:

                    > Did you download the linux.clb I put in the files area. There is a
                    > clip that can tell us about your linux & wine settings, and NoteTab
                    > information. It may prove helpful to compare with other's settings
                    > with the same problem.

                    I should have thought to run that, sorry.
                    Desktop that has no black border:
                    Date: February 10, 2011
                    Hardware: HP Pavillion a1600n (desktop)
                    Processor: i686 unknown unknown
                    RAM: 937MB
                    Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
                    17:40:48 UTC 2011

                    Window Manager: Gnome
                    Type: NTP
                    Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                    Wine: wine-1.2.2

                    Wine Thinks This is:
                    Platform: Win32_NT
                    Version: WinXP

                    Laptop that HAS an ugly and frustrating black border:

                    Date: February 10, 2011
                    Hardware: HP G60-441 laptop
                    Processor: x86_64 unknown unknown
                    RAM: 2950MB
                    Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21
                    17:40:44 UTC 2011

                    Window Manager: Gnome
                    Type: NTP
                    Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                    Wine: wine-1.2.2

                    Wine Thinks This is:
                    Platform: Win32_NT
                    Version: WinXP

                    Except for the Hardware/Processor, everything looks pretty much the
                    same. I'm baffled.

                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 10, 2011
                      Hi all,

                      I'm wonder if a particular video driver . . .

                      1. Some computers have Intel video hardware. Others have Nvidia. Yet
                      others have ATI/Radeon. Yet others have Matrox video hardware. Each
                      requires a specific and distinct Linux video driver.
                      --

                      2. On another note: I've an Asus motherboard whereby Slackware 12.2
                      incorrectly detects the sound hardware as well as its one pata

                      So, (1) the drivers of some brands (some Linux users) experience
                      sometimes somewhat differing video results on one brand versus another
                      brand. Compositing and 3D can make a huge difference -- in fact I'd
                      look here first at this ie is it turned on or is it off? Sometimes
                      doing manual sys admin things like create an xorg.conf file and/or
                      tinker with the video config, edit the xorg.conf (can make better video,
                      can mess it up too).

                      As far as the (2) there are ways to check. As root (in Slackware) in a
                      terminal, the lspci command in Slackware lists the hardware. The (in
                      Slackware) lsmod command lists out the loaded modules (drivers) and what
                      hardware each module/driver is for. Other distro may not have the lspci
                      but most likely have a different hardware lister utility/app.

                      3. Sometimes for safety the best video driver goes unused. IOW
                      defaults to a more generic video driver due to when it probed, only so
                      much (not quite enough) data was returned from the probe (developers of
                      video drivers do not want to garner a reputation for damaging people's
                      video hardware). I don't use Ubuntu; I don't know how advanced Ubuntu
                      might be getting in this (plug and play) arena.

                      4. Rather very conservative settings/setup/config on the most correct
                      video driver (due to the same reason as #3) ie just not quite enough
                      returned on that auto probe (for plug and play)

                      I use Slackware which encourages the mechanic in me (get under the
                      hood). Conservative Slackware probably leans in a direction of being
                      one of the Linux distros with a tendency towards some of the least
                      amount of plug and play things (brings out the sys admin in me) -- but,
                      even Slackware is getting more and more of plug and play.

                      Linux is evolving ie all of the constant kernel development which keeps
                      including new features which often times link to what a certain video
                      driver needs to have. IOW the video driver can't do it if the needed
                      feature is not in the kernel. I've been following this some (kernel
                      changelogs, etc.) due to I have an ATI Radeon 5450 PCI-E video adapter
                      that continues to be better and better supported by the open source
                      video driver (the closed source driver had its problems too, one of them
                      choked on me and wouldn't work at all. I now have decent video using
                      one of the latest kernels I compiled myself with the open source driver
                      for that card.

                      --
                      Alan.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
                        Alan,

                        Go point. I did not think of that. I believe we earlier had a few who had some issues a while back that seemed to be driver related.

                        I'm Running Ubuntu 10.10 and don't have a problem, but it is a desktop. Laptops have different video hardware, etc. Ubuntu is usually good at supporting a broad range of hardware, and should work fine on newer laptops.

                        Sean - Is this a newer laptop? As Alan suggests, trying a change of setting on the video driver may help.

                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 11, 2011
                          Hi All,

                          linux.clb reports:

                          Date: February 11, 2011
                          Hardware: Generic
                          Processor: i686 unknown unknown
                          RAM: 1219MB
                          Operating System: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010
                          Window Manager: Gnome
                          Type: NTP
                          Name: NoteTab Pro 6.2
                          Wine: wine-1.2.2

                          Wine Thinks This is:
                          Platform: Win32_NT
                          Version: WinXP

                          I think I only noticed this black border artifact after upgrading my motherboard (with built-in video).